South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #1  

Default Returning Chick - on the home straight!

Hi all,

I'm a returning chick, after having my son (just before Xmas). On the 2nd January I weighed in at nearly 12 stone (168 lbs) - back to the weight I was when I first did South Beach a few years ago!

I've lost 17lb since then, but seem to be stuck on 149 lbs. I just can't budge it, and I've been keeping it to one P2 item a day. I've upped my excersize and drunk enough water to float a ship. I'm getting married in July, so really want to shift the last 10 lbs! So I'm hoping to find some help here - my diet buddy has gone off the rails a bit thanks to it being close to her finishing her degree.
OberonSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

What does an "average" day of eating look like for you?
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

BACK, Oberon! And congratulations on the birth of your baby! I remember you, and am happy that you've decided to join us again.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #4  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Welcome Oberon! Congrats on the baby.

Have you tried mixing up your foods or change what times you eat, you also could mix up the workouts and change up the times you do workout. Good luck!
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Congratulations on the baby! Baby weight is always the hardest to move for some reason, so you aren't alone!

Try making the meals that you do eat as little calorie-wise as possible. I've found that eating several (5) small meals (200-300 calories a piece) has really helped. It keeps you full because you eat every 3-4 hours. Also, watch your portion sizes. Just because it's vegetables doesn't mean that you can't overeat.

Good luck!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
Also, watch your portion sizes. Just because it's vegetables doesn't mean that you can't overeat.

Good luck!
I feel like I have to overeat (past fullness) sometimes to get all the veggies in.

Also OberonSH, are you nursing? Many people hold on to the last 5-10# while breastfeeding-kind of the body's way of making sure there are some spare calories there.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #7  
beachin'

Indeed, Murph. I dropped 10 lbs. within two weeks of stopping nursing.

I know what you mean about sometimes having to overeat to get the veggies in. I usually have a small portion of protein and 2-3 servings of veggies for dinner. I break up my other veggie servings during the day. I have 3-4 meals during the day. I'm in the process of making Minestrone. It's a great broth based soup, loaded with vegetables. It's also really low in calories. I have a cup of that, or some salad, or some fresh veggies every few hours. I definitely feel better than when I would skip breakfast and sometimes lunch. I forget about eating....but now I set a timer, and consciously eat.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #8  

Thanks guys,

Average day atm is breakfast maybe porridge with proper oats, or scrambled eggs with veggies. Lunch is usually a salad with a bit of cheese, or some homemade veggie soup. Dinner is whatever everyone is having minus potatoes (really gone off them on this diet!!) so meat stew with veggies etc. Night-time is difficult, I pick A LOT, so trying to cut down, but will maybe have a slice of bread (I make my own, so really hard to not have a bit!) or a glass of wine with a bit of low fat cheese. But even with that, I'm pretty ceeratin I'm not overdoing it, due to the rest of the day being so good nd the amount of excersize I do.

I am nursing, so maybe thats it - like Murph says I could be holding on a bit. I try and do at least 10 minutes of a workout DVD a day, and do a lot of walking with my son in his baby carrier.

I'm not too fussed on the number on the scale, it's my wobbly tummy that bothers me (call it my pouch). Plus OH seems to think I've gained a bit at the top of my thighs and tummy, but no change on the scales. Weird.

Last edited by OberonSH; 04-08-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #9  
beachin'

you've probably gained a bit in your thighs and tummy because of the baby....that is where I carried all of my weight...well, also in my butt
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

back Oberon! You know--have you tried entering your daily food into www.fitday.com? It might be time-consuming at first, especially with a baby, but I have a feeling that you might not be getting enough. You should definitely be over 1200 calories or you'll have trouble losing. When breastfeeding a baby, you need an extra 300 calories above what you usually need.

Those nighttime snacks can really get you. Can you put aside some stuff that's filling (like veggies with hummus or dip, or 3 bean salad, etc.) for your nighttime snacking? Depending on how it sits with you, you might even try a bowl of cereal. I found this raisin bran cereal made by Erewhon that is sugar free (totally...no sugar added) and VERY filling! I also find a yogurt smoothie to be very filling, I use frozen fruit with no sugar added, plain yogurt, some SF syrup, a scoop of protein powder, and some skim milk to thin it down. Delish! You can sip it while sitting with your family or whatever, and it takes a long time to drink.

Anyways, congratulations on your little one and welcome back!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #11  

Thanks guys I thought I was going crazy!!! But today the scales have shifted by 3 lbs (the right way ;-) )

I do need to stock up on stuff to avoid picking - I'm planning on making some falafel, hummus and wholewheat pittas. Smoothies are a good idea - I have tried putting sparkling grape juice into a wineglass (how sad am I?!) but I do love a glass of red after the kids are in bed.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #12  
beachin'

Hrm....I used fitday for the first time. I rather like it, although it says I'm not getting nearly enough calories.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

If you're nursing you should aim to get at least 1500-1800 calories. Any less may interfere with your milk supply. Also drink lots of fluids and make sure you are getting at least 1000 mg of Calcium per day. When nursing, it is recommended that you don't lose any more than 1# per week. I am an OB nurse and we don't recommend dieting without your Dr.'s OK. Also recommended to take your prenatal vitamin as well.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #14  

I ran the diet past my midwife, and she ok'ed it as long as i kept to semi-skimmed milk and full fat yoghurt.

More mystery today, despite 3lb weightloss (over nearly 2 weeks I add) my 'skinny cow' jeans are a bit snug..... I have stopped drinking the 2 litres of water so maybe it's water.