South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

White potatoes are a no-no. Sweet potatoes are okay (for Ph 2), but I have found I need to eat these only occasionally.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 04-09-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #17  

Another thing I love to do is cook chopped cabbage and red onion so that it is slightly crisp and then top it with some red wine vinaigrette dressing. It's a variation on the recipe in the South Beach cookbook for Pork and Pepper Salad. I skip the roasted red peppers but it would be good made like the original recipe.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #18  
Roz

Well, the best recipe I have would land you in the South Beach jail for non-compliance. Sigh. It has an apple and brown sugar and.... well, never mind.

A good seasoning for cabbage or sauerkraut is carraway seed. (Gee, I hope that's "legal.") I occasionally do sauerkraut with some smoked turkey sausage and season with some carraway. It's really good, but only a once a week thing.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #19  

Roz, nothing wrong with apples. And there's always Splenda Brown Sugar or agave nectar... Rarely do I find a recipe I can't "fix". Even potatoes can be replaced.

Pretty sure caraway seeds are okay...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #20  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Schmoodle, with that in mind. What can potatoes be replaced with. Turnips? Parsnips?
I have a really great harvest vegetable shepherd's pie with yam crust recipe that I would love to "fix" for phase 2.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #21  

Keep in mind that I am not saying you can find things that will taste exactly like potatoes and make you think you are eating potatoes. But I have found things that can replace potatoes in most of my old recipes so that I am not "missing" the potatoes as I eat it.

For mashed potatoes, I like the mashed cauliflower recipe in the SB book. Some folks hate it, but DH and I love it. Lately, I love mashed turnips even more. I never used to eat turnips.

I make a lot of soup and sometimes in a meat-and-veg soup, I miss the starchiness of potatoes. Having beans in there helps, as well as chunks of zucchini, turnip, or rutabaga. These things give a little starchiness and the "mouth feel" of a chunk of potato. Haven't ever tried parsnips but I will get there.

For that cabbage recipe with white potato crust, I would use sweet potatoes, or experiment with a mashed bean crust, or something from whole grains, or you could try the mashed turnip or cauliflower mentioned above, although they might be too soupy. I haven't tried it.

For your shepherd's pie, the yams are okay for the crust.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #22  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

ll this cabbage talk reminded me that I have a huge cabbage way back in my fridge. I must dig out the monster and maybe freeze it for cabbage rolls. It's too big to fit the crisper so has been forgotten for a while.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #23  
beachin'

Schmoodle! MMM! Mashed turnips sound awesome! I also love the mashed cauliflower. Hubs didn't even realize it was cauliflower until I told him, and he still really liked it

How do you make your turnips?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #24  
Roz

Ruth, you can freeze cabbage?? I thought I was the queen of the freezer, but I never knew you could freeze cabbage. Do you just blance and freeze? This would be a tremendous help. TIA.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #25  

I just peel the turnips and cut them into chunks, then boil or microwave with a little water until soft. Throw in some Smart Balance, salt, and a splash of milk, and smoosh it all up with a masher or mixer. You can do rutabagas the same way and they are good too, but I just loooove the turnips. If you want, throw some carrots in there too.

Ruth, I guess you separate the leaves and blanch them? I haven't ever done that either. Good idea.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #26  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Once again, I am amazed at how resourceful all of you are

I am a newcomer to some of these foods. I never was one to eat many starchy vegetables growing up. I seem to eat corn on the cob only around 4th of July, for example. I had my first rutabaga and cabbage when I made corned beef and cabbage for my 100% Irish DH on St. Pat's Day. I come from the green beans-broccoli side of the family. I don't even really like green peas or carrots either. I miss having a white potatoe about twice a year. Again, that is Easter and Thanksgiving.

Thanks for all of the really mouth watering recipes, ladies. I copied and pasted them all. I am learning to try all kinds of foods that I would never consider trying.

I have heard about mashed cauliflower but if I don't miss white potatoes, why bother? (p.s. I do think I will try it once just to see if it really does taste like potatoes).

For decades, I ate green salads for lunch in an effort to shed the unwanted pounds and, now, the idea of putting yet another celery, raw cauliflower or broccoli in my mouth, well, it is not something I like to do. I have had three cold green salads since starting this food plan this year.

I stick to the basic veggies although all of this sounds pretty good the way you make it sound.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

So chunked some up and added it to the lunch salad. It added a new flavor and a nice crispness.. DH liked it too.
I was thinking I'd do the cabbage rolls soon and trying to saute them and such. we'll see how it goes. I'm excited to get into the different recipes. I might even try the mashed turnips. DH isn't a fan of cooked veggies. We mainly do salads. Although, he's been complaining about the sizes LOL. "is that really 2 cups? it looks like more!" i say, "just eat it!" LOL...
anyhow, I shall be trying the other ideas!
Thank you all!!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #28  
beachin'

Napa Cabbage is awesome, btw. It's less....cabbagy....than regular cabbage. It also doesn't give you gas like regular cabbage does.

I don't care how thin I get. Farts are never sexy.

Pamatga- the mashed cauliflower doesn't necessarily taste like potatoes. It tastes like cauliflower, but I think it's the texture and look that tricks you into thinking it's potatoes. I really like it with roasted garlic.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #29  

pamatga, I'll spare you the suspense. It vaguely resembles mashed potatoes. It tastes just like ... cauliflower! Which is great if you like cooked cauliflower (as we do), but if not, you probably won't care for it.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #30  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Actually, I loved the mashed cauliflower even before I learned to like cauliflower as a vegetable. It doesn't taste like potatoes, but it does taste good!

I'm a huge cabbage freak, so this is a wonderful thread!

I just wanted to chime in and say that I sometimes use cubed turnips in recipes where you need potatoes, like soups, stews, or pot roast. We are allowed to, every so often, have baby red potatoes--their newness reduces how much starch they have. I think the GFGCG says once a month or so?

For those who have never had turnips (I never did before SBD), try this recipe: Turnips With Greens. Make sure you roast the turnips long enough. I could eat this by the bowlful for weeks.
Closed Thread