South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #1  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Default Calling All Ph1 Vegetarians

I searched the recipes and only found a couple of meatless recipes that sounded appetizing to me for entrees. I'm past chili, and not a big eggplant fan. I'm good on side-dishes, just looking for a main dish or two. The two I found were the Italian Spinach Pie and Taco Bake (substituting meatless crumbles for the meat.)

Any of you girls have vegetarian recipes that are staples in your home?
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

These are in the recipe section:
Stuffed Peppers (or zucchini)

Chilled Lime Tofu over Black Beans

Portobello Burgers

"Lasagna" with zucchini subbing for the noodles

I've tried to write "(vegetarian)" in my recipes so they're easy to spot.

Hope that helps! I'll keep thinking.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

When you said no eggplant and I looked at my recipes I realized that knocked out most of my repertoire!
I'm sure Kara will be a big help here. I remember last summer some of us were making a lasagne using zucchini as noodles. I think there is a recipe posted somewhere. But any meatless recipe would do, just replace the noodles with slices of zucchini, but you've got to grill or cook it some first or it gets too watery.
What I've got left - quiches and frittatas/omelets, macaroni and cheese?
couscous and tabouleh salads make good entrees, with lots of veggies, chopped egg, cheese, etc.

Oh, there you are Kara! And OOps! You said Ph1. That rules out some of the above.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 04-02-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Lisa, you can also marinate tofu slices or chunks (just drizzle the marinade over, don't soak the tofu like you would meat) and then cook it in a frying pan sprayed with Pam. Any number of spices/herbs would make good combinations!

Have you tried roasting eggplant? I do not always love eggplant, but I can eat an entire eggplant when I roast it! I drool over it! Just cut off the skin (you can leave it on if you want, but I don't like it), cut the "meat" of the eggplant into chunks, and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic, diced onions, basil, oregano, etc., etc. Roast on a pan at 350ish for maybe 20-30 minutes. A good eggplant is firm, with no soft spots, and a nice, bright color. This is good alone, or mixed in with a spaghetti sauce to make a soup-ish meal.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/140/125

Height: 5'4''

Hi! I am a vegetarian, and have been on SBD for only about three weeks, so my reportiore is limited. Our food budget is tight, and I find myself eating bean-based soups, such as chilli w/ veggie crumbles and black-bean chipotle soup, with big sides of veggies, or stirfry with tofu. Kara's recipes look so good, I will have to try some of those!! Roasting eggplant sounds like an awesome idea!
mary83 is offline   Reply With Quote