South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 123/116/110

Height: 4'11

Default sample menus for phase 1

Hi-

Im a newby....just started phase 1 today.. Im trying to get the hang of this phase 1 stuff..seems like all I can have for bfast is eggs/bacon?? lunch salad and dinner a meat and veggie/salad right??

anyone have any sample menus??
I need to go to the store later and need to make a list..

and how much can I eat?? portion wise??

thanks
Kristi
kbroyles3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

model your meals like this:

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 2 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup or 6-8 oz. tomato or vegetable juice.
Fruit: NONE
Starch: NONE
Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine, or oil (optional)

SNACK: Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

LUNCH
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups. We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

SNACK: Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds. A snack that combines protein (1 oz.) and vegetables is encouraged.

DINNER
Protein: Quantity is not limited. Start with a 3 oz. portion, eat slowly, go back for seconds if still hungry.
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups. We encourage you to include a serving of beans (1/3-1/2 cup) as part of your vegetables.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise, trans-free margarine or oil, or 2 Tbsp salad dressing

DESSERT / EVENING SNACK: Desserts are optional. Enjoy a Sweet Treat or any of the snack choices.

BEVERAGES: Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

And be sure and check the recipes and older threads. There are non-egg alternatives for breakfast when you get tired of the eggs - breakfast cheesecake, chocolate cheesecake smoothies, etc. No reason you can't have dinner or lunch for breakfast either. I love eggs, but nothing but eggs for breakfast for 2 weeks gets old fast. I would sometimes eat beans with salsa and cheese.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #4  
cute little kitty fangs

S/C/G: 297/280/160

Height: 5'5

The recipes posted here are a life saver - I cant stand cooked eggs, and would have quit this way of eating if not for this board.

Some things I love for breakfast: breakfast cheesecake made into cupcakes, chicken sausage (i get it at harris teeter), canadian bacon, and turkey bacon.

Lunch is normally a salad of sort, with lean protein of sort. I am not real original there.

Snacks - I love celery with organic p/b; peanuts; turkey/london broil with with Laughing Cow cheese/tomatoe; roasted chickpeas; hummus; tomatoes with fresh mozz and basil, with some balsamic vinegar and evoo.

Dinner - I am a variety whore - I get bored with stuff easily. Again, the internet is your friend. Some of my favorite PH 1 foods are: meatballs casserole; jerk tenderloin; mashed cauliflower (tastes like garlic mashed potatoes); daikon (pan fried) - it tastes like french fries; a giant salad with Trader joe goddess dressing...

Dessert - This is my favorite, but not entirely SB friendly b/c of the whipped cream... I take strawberries (these are PH2 friendly), slice them up, sprinkle some splenda...then take some low fat cream...throw it in with some splenda and vanilla extra...beat it until fluffy...hmmmm homemade whipped cream...it puts the canned stuff to shame.

Last edited by SandStripedcj; 03-15-2008 at 10:40 PM.
SandStripedcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

There are LOTS of things you can eat! For dinner, you say "meat and veggie/salad," which is correct, but there are about a MILLION different ways to accomplish this! I like chicken breast baked with bbq sauce and topped with avocado and Swiss cheese served with mashed cauliflower, or chicken and broccoli stiry fry, or a giant salad with chicken and sliced almonds and a homemade dressing, or broccoli and cauliflower tossed in an Italian-type dressing with chunks of turkey mixed in, or homemade chicken tortilla soup (chopped chicken, chicken broth, cream cheese, salsa, and black beans in a crock pot, topped with sour cream and cheese when served), steak with grilled squash and zucchini, chicken baked with seasoned diced tomatoes and olive oil served over spaghetti squash, baked/grilled fish and tartar sauce (homemade) with a large greens salad (or use tuna in your salad), bunless turkey burgers with lots of veggie toppings...I could keep going, but I'll stop now

As already mentioned, if you get tired of eggs for breakfast, who says you have to eat "breakfast" foods? Have some leftovers from dinner the night before, some soup, some sliced ham and cheese rolled up...or try something new with the eggs. Make little muffin cup mini quiches, make egg salad, add lots of new ingredients to egg scrambles, etc.

I do love salads for lunch, but I love lots of other things, too. Dinner leftovers, vegetable soup, sandwiches/wraps using lettuce instead of bread, sandwich meats rolled up and dipped in a sauce or hummus, and so on. I also like to experiment with salads. I've been able to make tasty thousand island and Asian sesame dressings using Splenda instead of sugar. I used to like just romaine lettuce, chicken, and sliced almonds with the Asian dressing, but now I also add broccoli slaw, shredded red cabbage, and a little shredded carrot (in Phase 2). I used to have salads of just lettuce, cheese, and chicken, but now I add broccoli, cabbage, onion, avocado, different nuts (chopped pecans are good), maybe some hard boiled egg, etc.

I'm a SUPER picky eater, but I always have a ton of variety. I stick to mostly just chicken for my meat at dinner because that's what I like, but it can be prepared in so many different ways that I don't get bored. I am SO SICK of omelettes and scrambled eggs, but mini quiches and egg salad are awesome. Before South Beach, I was lucky to eat 5 servings of veggies in a WEEK, and now I eat them all the time--and that's because I don't like very many veggies, but the few I DO like, I've learned to prepare in different ways.

Try focusing on all the things you CAN have instead of focusing on what you CAN'T have
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #6  

Default phase 1 menus that work

Hi-

I just started phase 1 yesterday.. Im wondering if those of you that are in phase 1 or the ones that had good results in phase 1 give me some of your day by day of what you eat..

My start today was:

Waffles from recipes in phase 1 (made as pancake, no griddle)
6 oz ls V8

and thats it so far... dont know what to do for lunch??

Im thinking ceasar salad with chicken???

but how much of it can I have??

need some help!!!

Thanks
Kristi
Old 03-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

Kristi,

have you read the book?
Old 03-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #8  

No I havent had a chance to get it yet, and wont be able to until next week sometime, thats why I was just seeing if there was a place on this board that people post what they have eaten (that has worked) in phase 1

thanks
Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

well did you see the menu template on how to construct your menus? use that and plug in phase 1 foods that you like.

you have to find foods YOU LIKE... as far as I'm concerned if I like eggs for breakfast I'll tell you to have 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 6 oz can of V8 and 2 pieces of crisp fried turkey bacon... but you don't like that... (and i ate that every day for weeks and weeks and still to this day have a hard boiled egg and a v8 every morning nearly 2 years into the plan) then it won't work for you.

part of the key for this to work is finding foods you like....

re-read that meal template I posted the other day and see if you can plug in the phase 1 foods you like and write up your own menus.... then post them and get ideas from other folks. that's really the best way to do it.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #10  

you are such a big help.... my concern is I am 4'11 I weigh 122pds right now and want to loose 10pds...is it possible for this diet plan??

I have bfast down...im thinking i'll do the sausage and cheese bake every am with v8

lunch-salad, either with lots of vegs or ceasar with chicken...dinner meat and vegs and for snacks, postachios or celery w/fat free cream chesee

where exactly is the place I need to go to find what other people have eaten on phase1

thanks again
Kristi
Old 03-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Kristi, here's a link to one of the threads in the FAQ section that will give you some menu ideas -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42410
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Exclamation You really need to read the book first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroyles3 View Post
No I havent had a chance to get it yet, and wont be able to until next week sometime, thats why I was just seeing if there was a place on this board that people post what they have eaten (that has worked) in phase 1

thanks
Kbroyles, I know that you have a lot on your plate, but reading the book before starting this Way Of Eating (WOE) is essential, IMHO. There is so much of this WOE that involves making decisions based on the information you learn from the book, the principles of the plan, and knowledge of your own body that, without the book, you'll be totally lost (and pretty ineffective). Just as an aside, even though the book might look big, half of it is recipes and menus. The first half is the only part you have to read before starting. Hope that helps!

Do yourself a favor. Try to eat as healthy as you can for now and read the book. When you've finished the book, then start Phase 1. Doing this without the book would be like taking care of your baby while only knowing how to change a diaper and how to make a bottle. If you don't know how to hold the baby safely, what's safe to feed her, how to feed her (and that you need to burp her afterwards), how to tell when she's hungry, how much sleep she needs, etc., you don't make a very effective parent. Right? We'd be glad to help as much as possible, but none of us are a good enough stand in for reading the book, okay?

As for sample menus for Phase 1--since I hate eggs and fish, I didn't follow the menus in the book at all. I just used them as examples of what a Phase 1 day can look like. My days usually look like this:

Breakfast: 1 cup FF cottage cheese and 1/2 cup grape tomatoes.
Snack: 1 cup FF plain yogurt with SF syrup and 2T ground flax seeds.
Lunch: Leftovers from yesterday's dinner, SF Jell-o cup.
Snack: red bell pepper strips with 2 T of roasted red pepper hummus
Dinner: Taco Bake (see recipe forum) on bed of shredded angel hair cabbage with 2 T of light sour cream. (or Chicken Divan with extra broccoli or white chicken chili with sour cream, etc.)
Snack: Peanut Butter Cup (see recipe forum) and homemade hot chocolate (1.5 cups of milk, 5 tsp. of unsweetened cocoa, 3 T SF syrup)

If you make salads every day, I think you'll get sick of them quickly--but you know yourself better than I do! The most common complaint I hear from people who quit the plan early, however, is that they got tired of all the salads. But there's no reason you have to eat salads--I eat one maybe once or twice a month, no more than I did when I wasn't on a diet. If you do eat them, please make sure you have a lot of good veggies in them. A chicken caesar salad doesn't have much to fill you up and has very little nutrients. You have meat and cheese, dressing, and romaine lettuce. That's usually it (since you can't have croutons of any kind in Phase 1). I'd either add other veggies to it or make a side of veggies to go with it so you feel more full. Just my humble opinion.

For more info on how to eat more nutritious vegetables, check out the Best Veggies to eat... thread.

I look forward to hearing what you think after you read the book!

Last edited by beachgal; 03-17-2008 at 12:29 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote