South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330.5/307.5/250

Height: 5'5"

Default So What Keeps you Motivated?

Honestly, I started this diet in July 2007. I did great and then ended up in the hospital in September 2007 for 15 days. After coming home, I lost an additional 18 lbs and alot of will power. It almost took over and beat me over the holidays. My wonderful husband decided to go the the "Beach" with me after new years (I think him turning 40 may have been a factor also) but honestly it has become so much easier for me because I have someone to be accountable with and to do this with. I also have a wonderful friend (jerseygiant) who has been through my ups and downs with me for the past 11 years. She is my rock and support through these struggles. What really inspires us also is watching "The Biggest Loser". I don't agree with everything they do but I get so inspired. I have no desire to hang glide over the valleys like they did, but the vending machine temptation could be fun . Two of the candidates this year are from my home town so I'm rooting for them and cheering them on. So I just wanted to find out what keeps everyone motivated over such a long period of time.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disney Hollywood Studios 2-9 028.jpg (26.6 KB, 24 views)
Cannwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 AM   #2  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i guess my health keeps me motivated i had a scare with leukemia about 6 months ago, my blood counts were out of whack, had 2 see an oncologist. been there 3 times and my last visit everything was back 2 good except my white blood cell count still high, but down. good news is he doesnt want 2 c me till may now. bad news is he and his team of bloodsucking vampires still dont know what the problem is/was.
but it was a wake up call 4 me. i would like 2 stick around 4 a while
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #3  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

almost 4got ur doing great keep up the good work!
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Fear is what keeps me motivated, I guess. When I am in the zone and rolling along, I feel very in control and healthy. The times I've gotten out of control, it's felt really really scary to me, so I prefer to not go there again. Also, I am not dieting here, this is for keeps, so little blips and stalls don't freak me out so much.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Ok, I'll admit it...Shopping trips and new clothes!!!
And of course I feel great and "new" again. I am definately not "on a diet". I agree with Schoodle. This is just the way I eat and the way I "am" now. I'll have something "off" every now and then, but rarely and only if I really really want it.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #6  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

What motivates me & keeps me going is nothing but th grace of God as I pray everyday to keep on track cause some days I could go bizurk with eating. I have been through so much the past few months til I see everything differently now - day by day

Last edited by GONNABE165; 03-13-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW 226/ CW217/ GW 145

Height: 5'4

I think that when I really started to feel the stress on my body it scared the mess out of me.. what keeps me going is that I dont want to be the fat mom at graduation, that and I want to be at graduation lol.. I want to my kids to be proud of me. Sometimes I feel like a tick. Like I have streched my body as far as I can without bursting. Right now I am starting to feel it shrink and I want to keep it going.
mommamurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #8  
Beach Bum

I'm still struggling with this question as well. I was very motivated in January and into February. I am trying very hard to get it back. I am doing ok. I am continuing to exercise on a consistent basis, even longer each day than I thought I would. I had not had an off plan day since Valentine's Day until this past Sunday. DH went out of town, I did not plan well and did not have "quick fix" food things in the house. To beat all, my girl scout cookies finally came in. The stars were aligned against me. I had 3 bad days. I felt terrible-physically and mentally. I am right back at it. Yesterday was a very good day. The motivation level is beginning to increase. And despite the bad eating, I still did my exercise on those 3 days.
I think the way I felt on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday motivates me to get back on plan and continue. Forward Progress.
This is a long process.
I think there will be more of these times when my motivation decreases or seems to vanish, BUT, I also know there are things I can do to try to prevent this from happening again-- PLAN, PLAN and more planning.
Also, the other boxes of girl scout cookies that haven't arrived yet are not coming home with me, they will stay at work, I am not tempted at work.
Best wishes for anyone struggling.
Karla
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 168/ 163/ 145

Height: 5 4

Thinking of the spring and summer is keeping me motivated. Soon, I will be out of winter clothes and into shorts and short sleeve shirts, and I want to fit into last years clothes.
Having a role model also helps me. My sister is mine- she exercises regularly, keeps her weight normal, and eats very healthy.
I get motivated by "The Biggest Loser" also. I try to watch it while working out on my treadmill, and it usually motivates me to run a little harder and put the incline up a notch! Jillian is awesome. Thanks for the great topic!
lbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #10  
Spring Chicken

Hey CAnn! Mwah! I think you are doing great and I'm very very impressed with you. Meanwhile, CAnn is herself a great support to me.

Here's my story, sad but true. CAnn and I got into Weight Watchers big time about 8 years ago. We were fanatics - emailing each other our journals that we had on spreadsheets, etc. etc. It was great and after 2 years I hit goal weight by losing 44 pounds from my shrimpy 5'0" body. I felt so wonderful! Size 6 clothes!!!

Aaaaaand, now 6 years later, 30 pounds have crept back - well, the last 15 pounds galloped back. None of the clothes fit (have had to slowly up up up the size), I feel like crap, two doctors in rapid succession have told me to take care or else, since things like bloodwork and blood pressure have started to tell their tale. Now I'm back on the beach (have done it intermittently through the years) for only 1 1/2 weeks but already feeling much better, though there is no sign of any movement on the scale.

I think the health thing will keep me motivated. I really do NOT want to become diabetic. The vanity thing also plays a part. I looked so much better at goal weight to be blunt. (But there is the small issue of self-destructive eating that happens on an all too regular basis - when those triggers get pushed, I don't care if I look good. In fact, I say "To **** with it. I hate me/you/everything. Pass the bread and butter.")

And on a physical level, aerobic exercise keeps me motivated because I think it changes your body chemistry and makes it easier to eat in a healthy way.
JerseyGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

hi all!

i see my extra weight (padding) as literally weighing me down and keeping me from doing so many things i'd love to do...so every pound i shed, the lighter i become and soon i will be able to soar!! so this is my spiritual motivation.
of course shopping is also a fantastic motivator! skinny jeans, here i come

Last edited by jandaman; 03-14-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: ticker
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote