South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

Default What I learned from a cheat day.

We had a planned semi cheat day yesterday as we had to drive to the US border to get my work permit ( which turned out to be the easiest part of the trip) Because of the restrictions on importing veggies and fruits I decided to make some whole wheat turkey wraps witha little fancy feta cheese. ( not low fat but a little goes a long way) and some SF yogurt cups.

I had a real cheat with a greek salad with more cheese than I should have eaten but it was delicious, when we got home.

Before I started the diet I had frequent heartburn. It disappeared shortly after I started. I've not taken anything for it in 6 weeks. I sure had it yesterday after eating the rollups and yogurt. Maybe I'm allergic to wheat. In anycase it was extra motivation to stay with the program because going off a bit affected me so adversly.

Anyway life is great. I'm official now and starting work in about 10 days.

Back on the plan again today.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:26 AM   #2  
Determined to lose!

Congrats on the NSV!!!! Mine when I started last year (OK< so I just restarted, but hey)... I was on High blood pressure meds... during the first week of SB I HAD to go off them since my blood pressure dropped so much that it was BELOW normal! I has spiked since I went off the diet, but now I'm back on I'm watching it go back down!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #3  

Spirit - Congrats on the permit. By the way, I too used to have terrible heartburn, sometimes requiring antacids several times a day. Since I started SB I haven't had to take anything for it. How great is that.
waquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Hey, Spirit! Congrats on the permit and NSV!

You know, I find Greek salads cause me to feel like I have heartburn or to actually get it. Something about all the acid and salt...so it might not be the wheat! You should try it again, but isolate out the wheat or the feta alone so that you can see how you do. It's awesome to feel healthier, isn't it?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #5  

So here's a dumb question: Why are Greek salads cheating? I would have thought they'd be OK. Isn't feta cheese sorta naturally lowfat?

BTW, Spirit, I'm fascinated by all the ailments that seem to go away with a change of diet or exercise. A few years ago, I was developing a terrible knee problem; the pain could be excrutiating. My doc suggested losing some weight and walking more to develop the supporting muscles. It worked. And it's hard to believe in retrospect, cuz it sure felt like a chronic ailment.
seaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Not to sound like a dumb blonde, but .....

what is a Greek salad??

Congrats on the work permit. Now, why did you have to travel over the border for that, again? I know you were working on this but I must have missed one of the posts...

I have learned from a cheat day that I can't do it, if I can help it, it is just too blasted demoralizing for me.

I am really just trying to stay focused on following this plan the way it is meant to.

I too noticed certain health issues clearing up. One was a persistent private part itch. I think I had too much sugar spilling over into my urine. I rarely got heartburn after having my gall bladder removed so I can't say that I worried about that.

Unfortunately, my knees are beyond losing weight and walking. My doctor told me the only thing I need is total knee replacement. He said losing weight would help with the recovery though!

I also learned that I am knee deep in denial half the time about my weight issues. And, how easy it is to get off plan without realizing it. I swear I feel like a first grader with all of this. You would think I never knew what a calorie was. Where have I been all this time? Duh!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-21-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: I need to proof before I hit save!
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

For an American requesting a work permit from Canada you can process the paperwork at the immigration office on the Border. Since Maine is closest to Nova Scotia it means a drive to Calis which is on the Northeast border of Maine.

I've eaten feta cheese without the wheat and the reaction is definetly after eating the wheat. Its the only real change of diet I had on the trip.

Feta cheese is a regular cheese not low fat thats why its a cheat.

We also exceeded our alloted calories. I find SB works better with Calorie control. If I go til I"m full I'll eat way too much even with this kind of food. We also ate a little more fruit than alloted on the diet, on the way down.

Pamatga if you need a TKR you can still swim or do modified water aerobics. The stronger you are going into surgury the better off you'll be in recovery.

I was shocked at the gas prices on the US side. Canada's been pretty stable though a fair bit higher. I think it's gone up at least 50 cents since I left in September. sheesh.

Greek salad contains lettuce, tomatoe, olives, and a dressing that is a vinagrette which has oregano, olives, and feta cheese ( in very small quantities) in it. I thow the salad together then put on whatever meat we are eating. The quantity of cheese in the dressing is a 1/4 tsp or less. I also limit the olives. If you put a half dozen or on its not much in the way of calories but I could sit down and eat the whole jar if I wanted to.

I was very very good today. Even went for a long walk
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 AM   #8  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I live near Tarpon Springs, Florida, which I understand to be the largest Greek community outside Greece or perhaps the largest percentage of Greek Americans in an American community. In addition to the ingredients above,
Greek salads here also include green pepper, cucumber, radish, pickled beet, one spinach leaf, one shrimp, optional anchovy and optional potato salad made with olive oil not mayo. The olives are black greek olives with pits. There's also a horiatiki salad, with no lettuce, which is chopped up and mixed together tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper, red onion, feta cheese, kalamata olives (black, greek olives with pits) and greek dressing.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #9  

Webrover - I LOVE the greek salads in Tarpon Springs! I grew up in Tampa. I only go back about every 4 years now but I have to stop and get a small Greek salad. It just tastes so good!
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #10  
Simply Filling Technique

Thumbs up Now I know what a greek salad is

Thanks, chickies!

I copied and pasted your ingredients and I'll have to have one. Sounds good.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote