Wednesday Chick Chat

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Good Morning all you sleepy heads!

So the man that came to fix the dryer and I got talking last night about life and things... First the job change, when I mentioned it was for a flooring company he asked if we clean carpets, so I sold us a carpet cleaning. Then mentioned to have the guy doing it to measure the kitchen for laminate. Then, I went over there to see about renting the place. I am currently in a mobile home, he has a 2 bedroom house for rent. To be honest, I like the idea of a house, and that definately has more room than I'd ever need. But when I seen it I was not impressed. He's painted it, and fixing it up. But I'm NOT impressed with some of the features, nor the price. I own my mobile home. While I think utilities would be cheaper, the rent and mortgage together are cheaper than what he's asking for.

Then we got talking about Bible, Christ and salvation. That was quite interesting.

I'm down another pound this morning. This sure is a SSSLLLOOOWWW start! But I can feel the difference.

While I was waiting for Joe (the repair man) to show up I flipped on a channel and caught part of Oprah. She had a Dr. talking about obesity. the Dr. made a statement that if we lower our calorie intake by 150 a day we'd lose weight. He was pushing people to stop drinking the sodas. hhhmmmm I gave those up six years ago! And never lost anything! . Oh well.
  • Good morning! Here we are mid-way through the week already! Not a whole lot going on, first Curves, then spending the morning doing laundry and paying bills. I think I'll make some Cola Chicken for tonight's supper, too. I love the sauce on raw shredded cabbage. We're expecting snow later, so I don't know if I'll be taking the girls to their dance lessons, it depends on the roads. Cindy will be home and doesn't mind driving on icy roads, so she can do it if it's not canceled.

Loriann, you had quite a chat with that repairman! It's nice that you were able to talk him into a carpet cleaning!
  • Linda (I remembered! LOL) what is cola sauce? Actually he asked me if we did it, something he had already decided the house needed. Appearantly his last tenant had some critters akin to the ferret family, I know ferrets smell! I didn't notice any stench in the place, and the carpets looked ok, but hey, who am I to argue and miss the "brownie points" with the new boss?
  • Loriann, here's the link to the Cola Chicken recipe. It's in the Phase 1 Entrees. The sauce comes out like a nice, rich BBQ sauce. I don't drink sodas, but I do keep a few diet colas on hand just for this recipe!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65515
  • Thanks Linda, right now I don't see myself making it, I don't need all that sugar thats in it. Perhaps it's because I'm not too big on theBBQ flavor to begin with? *shrug* But sodas are the worst, even diet!!!!!
  • Good morning Chicks

LoriAnn - Congrats on the lb! Slow and steady is the way to go, even though fast and furious is more immediately satisfying

Cottage - Sounds like another busy day. Wish I could plan ahead as well as you do. I finally get around to planning dinner mid-afternoon so I usually stop at the grocery store on the way home. Luckily it's just down the road from my office Hope your roads don't get too icy there.

I've recovered from the Unfortunate Sugar Free Candy Incident. That was so not fun last night. I'm just glad I took advantage of the nice weather in the afternoon and went out for a good walk. Otherwise it would have killed my exercise for the day too. Won't ever touch that stuff again. Obviously it's not for me.

Just another day at work here. We are looking forward to the lunar eclipse tonight and hoping the sky will clear enough to get a good look.

Have a good day all!
  • Good morning, Cottage and Loriann. There I was thinking I might be first this morning! I'm working on it. I've been wakening at six and just loafing in bed for an hour.

Thanks for the reminder re cola chicken, Cottage. I've not made that for ages and it's time to start some real cooking instead of living off my freezer stash.

Loriann, I don't know exactly where you live but your "visit" with the repairman reminds me of life in this small town. You sure get to know a lot about folks when you chat them up.

Cindy, lunar eclipse? I hope it's nice and clear tonight. It was beautiful here last night. I must check the time it's supposed to happen around here. Isn't sugar-free candy a great "learning experience"? Been there, done that.

My sister is driving up from Ottawa today and claims she is taking me out for lunch. We'll have to see how icy the lane is. Aside from a trip to get my stitches out two weeks ago, I've not been out of the house. I guess it's time! Joan is also bringing me some "city" vegetables - I'm dying for a spinach salad.

Hershey is super sucky and cuddly this morning so I'm going to grab another coffee and do some dog therapy beside the woodstove before I shower and dress.

Happy Hump Day!
  • Hellllllllo girls!

TOM GOT THE MARCH CLASS DATE! So that means the kids and I can stay with the family in New Jersey for the ten weeks of his class in Florida instead of being in Germany without all of our things! I am just a LITTLE excited!!! We're already planning a trip down there to visit with him somewhere in the middle of his classes and where we can take the kids and all. Evidently, he'll be at Hurlburt Field, which, I believe, is on the Gulf Coast. Anybody have any ideas???

I'm hoping now that that stress is gone I can really get back on track. Yesterday wasn't awful, but a bunch of "not awful" days is not the track I want to be on.

Lori, I love your conversation with the dryer guy! I find washer/dryer repairmen to be quite chatty!

Linda, enjoy your cola chicken! I must say I am NOT a fan of cabbage, although Nessa's sprussel brouts are now a staple in my house. (I made them last night and made Tom's dad try one because the kids had to eat them - they like them so it's not a battle - and he ended up having thirds!)

Ruth, you deserve a piddle around and smacks of freezer meals! Take your time healing up and have a nice lunch today!

Tom's dad just left so I'm going to go do my exercise. I feel weird doing it in front of people...

Kara
  • good morning,

nothing much going on. Didn't do too well on food again yesterday. That's ok though. Got to cleaning alittle. Had to go get all new tires on my truck yesterday. They are all going bad and the shocks in the back are worn out so DH has to get new ones on that. Everytime we start getting caught up, something else comes up and we fall behind again. We got our income returns and we were gonna go clothes shopping but my end of the money is gonna get cut short because of the truck. I'm used to it. I don't get anything anyways, it's nothing new. It's a normal for me.

Everyone else-have a wonderful day.
  • Ruth, to do that you'd have to be on at 5:30 :P (I get up at 4:30 EST. )

Cyndi, I think the "sugar free candy" is the manufacturers way to keep their sales up... Personally I steer clear of them, I think it's a fraud!!!!!!!!!!!! I satisfy my chocolate craving with the No sugar added fudgsicles!

Kara, congrats on the 10 week class! I'm excited for you!

Yes, Bloomfield, is as it's sounds... My son likes to show people where he lives by saying "let me give you the grand tour... to your right you have a corn field, to your left a corn field, to the south we have for better view a wheat field with mountains in the background, and for change of scenery in the north is a gravel pit! " (it's funny how he does it.)
  • tk, when my kids were little, it seems there was never enough money left to get something for myself. I know how you feel. But at least you can feel good knowing you have brand new tires on your truck. I hope your day is a good one!

Kara, that's wonderful that Tom got the class dates he wanted! Everything is falling into place nicely for you, I'm so glad. Yummm, brussel sprouts are one of my favorite veggies, especially roasted in the oven with a little olive oil and garlic!

Ruth, it'll do you a world of good to get out for a while today. I hope your lane is passable! Enjoy your lunch date!

Cyndi, we're hoping the sky is clear enough to catch the eclipse, too. We always try to watch that, and meteor showers, too. Sorry you had such a bad experience with the sugar-free candy, I also learned the hard way that I can't tolerate that stuff!

I had a nice workout at Curves this morning, and we solved all the problems of the world while we were at it. The day started out clear and sunny, but it's clouding up fast. They are downplaying this snow, though, so we shall see.
  • No snow here. it's supposed to be in the low 70s today. Yuck!!!
  • Good morning all,

It is Wednesday and I am on!?!

You all seem to be having a good start of the day. To all the Northern ladies stay warm. To all of us Southern gals enjoy the cool/warm we know what is coming!

Can Cola Chicken be put into the crockpot? Looking for something to fix and forget until eating time.

Better go and keep the kids moving toward the door so we get out on time.

Have a great day and a safe one.
  • We got snow lastnight which seem to put DH and DS in slow motion this morning, I hate when other people make me late when I am up at 5:30 to make sure they have full access to everything!

Loriann ah small town living! My husband works at the local hardware store and all the regualrs know where we live so after hours we always get phone calls or knocks on our door looking for someone to let them in or the time the store got broke into and the cops came to our house first (at 3:30 am)!

Cottage If you get our snow it shouldn't be to bad, we only got about an inch and it was the nice fluffy kind!

Cyndi I haven't ever tried SF candy and think I will steer away based on everyones experience!

Ruth hope you are able to get out today and as my mother used to say "blow the stink off" LOL that sounds terrible but I couldn't help but say it.

Kara glad to hear your plans are coming together!

TK yes the kids always seem to come first, maybe you could do something cheap and fun like get a manicure or pedicure just to get some time alone and feel all girly or maybe just buy a good book and enjoy a bubble bath!

Me eating was awful lastnight but unavoidable, I cooked for DH & DS and planned to make me some chicken sasuage I had and when I got it out realized it was expired, of course I had nothing else I could throw together as my cupboards are pretty bare (with all the home improvements projects over the weekend I didn't make it to the store) I ate stuff lastnight I haven't had since starting SB last May!

Today is a new day chicks, onward and upward (or down depending on how yyou want to look at it!)
  • Mornin' everyone!

Loriann, that was Dr. Oz. He does the "You..." books (You, The Owner's Manual, You, On a Diet, etc...) with Dr. Rozen. He has a lot of great ideas! I think the soda thing only works for people who drink sugar (not diet) sodas every day and drink a lot of them. If you were drinking 8oz of soda every day, quitting it wouldn't necessarily help you lose weight. But the trend is much more like getting a Super Big-Gulp (almost as much as a 2 liter bottle) every couple hours. That's a lot of calories! Glad you got the dryer fixed! It's not fun to try to hang out clothes when you know they'll only freeze on the line! :br:

Sounds like a good day, Cottage! Either you get your coffee and magazine, or you get to stay home...either way it's a win/win for you! Hope you enjoy it!

Oh, Cyndi, I shouldn't laugh...I know that dealing with the aftereffects of SF stuff isn't fun at all! I've been there, though, and I love your title of "Unfortunate SF Candy Incident"--sounds like the Lemony Snicket books! I'm glad you're doing better. The thing about the after effects is that it either keeps you totally away from the candy or keeps you from eating too much. Either way, it's a good thing.

Dog Therapy! That's a good one, Ruth! I think Hersh could easily charge for her therapy. What a sweetie she is! I hope you have a blast with your sister! I know what you mean about getting out--this time two years ago, I was at home with my bum leg, going out only for church events at night, once a week. Have fun!

YAY, Kara and Tom!!!!!!!!!!! That's wonderful!!!! I'm so glad for you all. The trip to FL sounds wonderful! It's an amazing place, from what little I've seen of it. Ooh, I need to go check out the Sprussel Brouts! I've been trying to get myself to like Brussel Sprouts for just about forever and the only time I have was at a little restaurant in Ireland. I made some the other night, though, that DH and I both loved!!! I was so thrilled! They're soooo good for you. Glad DH's dad liked them!

TKGlenn, I'm sorry you had a bad food day. But it sounds like you have the right attitude...just pick up and start again. Success is just getting up once oftener than you fall down...and we all fall down, sometimes. I'm sorry you won't have extra money to spend on you. Could you find something inexpensive that delights you? When I was losing and changing clothes sizes fairly often, I didn't feel like spending tons on new clothes every month or so, so I went shopping at consignment stores (i.e. used clothing, but nicer in quality than, say, Salvation Army). It's such fun!!! You can find the most unique things and if you go on days when they have sales, you can get such spectacular deals!!! I bought 8 things for less than $40 once, and one of them was an Italian cashmere sweater! Maybe you could do some clothes shopping that way? Even if you just treat yourself to a really great read at the library or a wonderful bubble bath at home, please do make time for yourself. You deserve it, especially if you've gotten used to making do without!!!

Wow, I hope they're right, TK...it's incredibly cold here...but maybe you guys are getting some kind of warming effect from the lake? It was sooo clear here last night and I hope it's the same way tonight, but we'll see. The moon was SO bright that it would make a dramatic difference during an eclipse.

Me:
    Had an amazing workout yesterday--went to my first yoga/pilates class in what seems like forever. Best of all, one of my favorite people (and my RCIA sponsor) was the teacher! It was hard, but I was so excited to know that my body could do it! : We'll see how hard/easy it is for me to do the elliptical tonight, though...

Should be a somewhat quiet day here, as the students are on break. However, I have a ton of phone calls to make and I don't really want to make any of them. I've been a volunteer for two years with a group that helps adults learn to read. I've gone through three tutees; my last one stopped coming last November. My director wants me to start again ASAP as she has 10 people wanting tutors. However, I did that when I wasn't working and am now working three days a week. It's been so hard to fit it all in and something has to give. I would never have left my student, but now that it's a natural break, I have to tell her that I'm going to have to stop tutoring for a while. I know it's going to be a hard conversation. But, once it's done, I can stop worrying about it!

My nutritionist said my body comp looks good. I don't know if that means that I lost or not. Wish I didn't care as much about that, but I do. I really want to move my ticker, but without a weigh-in with a number, I'm not sure what to do with it! I'd do exercise minutes, but they are the same every week, so that's not very exciting. Oh well...I'm glad it's not getting worse.

We have the first of our Adult Faith Formation series for Lent tonight. It's on different ways to pray and I'm looking forward to it! It's usually a great chance to catch up with lots of friends--it's a regional thing, so friends who go to other churches are often there. I just have to avoid the "refreshments" table and all will be well. DH is usually sweet enough to bring me a cup of coffee so I have something to do with my hands but don't have to go near the area and be tempted.Hope everyone has a great day!