South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #16  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile I think you all have a better handle on this .....

than I seem to. I feel very alone in this most of the time.

I WAS thin for a long time until I was 30! I was so stupid to think that being fat was preferable than dealing with my fear of being attacked sexually again. I should have taken a self-defense course. It would have been less painful than what I have done to my body.

I am so mad at myself that I screwed up my metabolism to the point where I have to even consider dieting. Why did I think it was okay to overeat back in my 30s??? NOW, I am paying for it big time.

What I meant,skinnydogmom,was that I want this to be the last diet I am ever on. I agree with you that it will mean monitoring for the rest of my life. How much and to what degree I have no idea. Every time that I overindulge and I regain weight that I have worked so hard to lose, I am reminded that I have a lot to learn. Period.

I just never thought I would have to be so disciplined about something that should be so simple. Putting food into your mouth. I am still trying to figure out how the heck I got to this place. I know why but I just didn't realize that dieting, which in theory seems like such a no-brainer, is so blasted difficult.

For all of you out there who are a few pounds overweight, stop what you are doing. Do NOT gain much more than 20-30 lbs.

Well, in OA they say one day you will be thankful you had this eating disorder. I am waiting......
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #17  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Pam,
My DH has expressed some of the same things you mention. He was skinny...I mean, VERY skinny. He had to run around in the shower to get wet. He slowly put on weight-good weight for him, while in the Army for 20 years, but still was thin/slender. He only started to gain in his mid 40's and then by early 50's he was overweight by a good 50 or more pounds. He never understood dieting and "trying" to lose weight until we did SBD for the first time back in 2003. He was militant about the diet and quickly lost 50 pounds. His prior opinion of weight loss was "don't eat/don't eat as much". He thought that was all it took. He quickly learned how difficult it can be to struggle with food. How food had become comfort and stress relief.
You aren't alone. We all struggle. I am always trying to learn new ways of copping that don't involve food.
I can't imagine ever being thankful for being overweight. In fact, it's the one regret that I have in my life.
But I am the eternal optimist and I must just move forward, be strong, be confident and make the most of the present and the future.
I wish you well and hope that your journey becomes easier.
KNOW that you are not alone.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote