South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #1  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Default Guidelines vs."The Book"

I've read the SB Diet Book twice. When I started SB in December I hadn't read the whole book yet so I stuck with the menus and recipes for the first week, switching around breakfast & snacks but staying pretty true for lunch and dinner. Then I found some awesome resources here. What I'm wondering is since there are a lot of differences (really additional information) between the resources here and the book AND since there are comments about changes since the book, what are the original sources for some of this NEW information.

Example:within the book
The text says to go for the whole food vs. juice, but a lot of the menus call for V-8.
The text says whole eggs are fine, then a lot of recipes/menus call for egg whites or "egg-beaters"

Not in the book
Beans are apparantly ok since the book, but where did that info come from?
Guideline for 4 1/2 cups of vegetables daily is great. I didn't pick that up from the book. Did I miss that or did it come from somewhere else?

I have to say that I've found the meal planning info http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56861 extremely helpful. Just really wondering howto find the source.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

The inconsistencies in the book drove me nuts. Another one, is no carrots allowed in Ph1, yet I think I remember seeing one or more recipes with carrots in them. Oh, and bananas - he tells you to stay away, then at one point discusses how his patients satisfy their sweet tooths with banana slices dipped in sugar free chocolate syrup. I totally go by the food lists and menu plans here. I eat beans, dairy, and even carrots on Phase I. As to the source, I'm not positive, but I think they came from the official South Beach Support Site. When the new book is published in April, I am confident that all or most of these inconsistencies and new "rules" will be addressed.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #3  

Thanks. What's awesome is that even with the inconsistencies, it works, and we haven't let the inconsistencies stop us from making it work.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Schmoodle this is from the official SBD website

South Beach Diet Phase 2 Guidelines and Food List
Phase 2 Guidelines
Breakfast Lunch
Protein: Quantity is not limited. See choices
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup. See choices
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day. See choices
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day. See choices
Milk: 1 - 1 1/2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt) See choices
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional) See choices Protein: Quantity is not limited. See choices
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups. See choices
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day. See choices
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day. See choices
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil See choices
Dinner Snack
Protein: Quantity is not limited. See choices
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups. See choices
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil See choices Snacks are optional: Choose from the Protein, Vegetable, or Fruits list, or eat nuts from the Fats list. Plain, low-fat or fat-free yogurt is also allowed.
Allowed Foods in Phase 2 (Foods you can reintroduce
to your diet)
FRUIT
• Apples
• Apricots-dried fresh
• Blueberries
• Cantaloupe
• Cherries
• Grapefruit
• Grapes
• Kiwi
• Mangoes
• Oranges
• Peaches
• Pears
• Plums
• Strawberries
DAIRY
• Milk-light soy, fat-free or 1%
• Yogurt-light, fruit-flavored, plain, low-fat or fat-free
STARCHES (USE SPARINGLY)
• Bagels, small, whole grain
• Bread-multigrain, oat and bran, rye, whole wheat
• Cereal-Fiber One, Kellogg's Extra-Fiber All Bran, oatmeal (not instant), other high-fiber, Uncle Sam
• Muffins, bran-sugar-free (no raisins)
• Pasta, whole wheat
• Peas, green
• Pita-stone-ground, whole wheat
• Popcorn
• Potato, small, sweet
• Rice-brown, wild
VEGETABLES AND LEGUMES
• Barley
• Beans, pinto
• Black-eyed peas
MISCELLANEOUS
• Chocolate (sparingly)-bittersweet, semisweet
• Pudding, fat-free/sugar-free
• Wine, red
FOODS TO AVOID OR EAT RARELY!!!
STARCHES AND BREADS
Bagel, refined wheat
Bread-refined wheat white
Cookies
Cornflakes
Matzo
Pasta, white flour
Potatoes-baked, white instant
Rice cakes
Rice, white
Rolls, dinner

VEGETABLES
Beets
Carrots
Corn
Potatoes FRUIT
Bananas
Canned fruit, juice packed
Fruit juice
Pineapple
Raisins
Watermelon

MISCELLANEOUS
Honey
Ice cream
Jam
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #5  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Does this answer your questions?

I didn't want to add anything else to the chart I put in the other post.

As you can see that is where the 4 1/2 c vegetables came from. However, if you notice the little boxes for each meal say no milk but yet later on down the chart it does say 1 1/2 c milk. Did you notice that when you have yogurt it should only be 1/2 c? That is on the chart also.

I didn't follow any of the book's recipes and I haven't made any of them yet. Instead, I make up my own meals according to the portions listed on the chart. I have been following the food plan as it exists on the official website.

Instead, I just follow the chart. If you notice he does say no more than 3 servings of carbs and 3 servings of fruits per day. And, if you notice there are some common carbs we all are eating that we should be eating sparingly.

I have gotten into trouble when I "innocently" had air popped popcorn with canola oil and salt. It is a food to avoid! Even though the calorie amount is 20 calories per cup when you make it according to directions it puffs me up like a Thanksgiving goose.

I am wondering if he had some cooks make recipes from the original charts for him and he didn't proof those before going to press. I can't imagine a cardiologist cooking for himself anyway.

Last edited by pamatga; 02-14-2008 at 01:53 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #6  

Yes that is the plan I follow (except when I don't). The only thing I can see that I am doing wrong is carrots. I thought they were allowed now. Well, too bad, carrots are healthy and without them a stir fry just wouldn't be as pretty. I only use them for stir fries and sometimes soups, and I make sure I only add about half as much of them as of other veggies.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #7  
Beach Bum

I thought that carrots and bananas were now OK. The GI for carrots might be higher than other veggy's but the Glycemic load is low, hench the change. Bananas are just too healthy to avoid, limit yes, but avoid no. As well as IMO any fruits are healthy for you, but that wouldn't be Dr A's opionion, I'll have to write my own book on the subject someday!
Does the SBD website address the use of sugar free jams?
Also, Anyone here use local honey during allergy season to help alleviate allergy symptoms? If so, is there a recommended amount related to the allergy relief, not an amount related to SBD?
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #8  

Looking at the official SB site, it looks like you need to be a paying member to get to any useful info. True or am I missing something?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #9  

Yes, that's true. We've had folks that have joined and have also posted here, and they've said they get as much valuable information from this forum as they did on the official one. So I've never been tempted to join that one.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #10  
Visualizing the Goal

I did the two free weeks on the official website and utilized the meal planning option to the point of copying and pasting recipes into Word so I'd have them to reference after my two free weeks were over. It was a nice feature, to have the shopping lists drawn up for you and all, but I'm a cheapie so I didn't want to pay for something that I could do myself.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyDogMom View Post
Anyone here use local honey during allergy season to help alleviate allergy symptoms? If so, is there a recommended amount related to the allergy relief, not an amount related to SBD?
I have been using local raw honey for the last 2 years for my allergies, and I swear by it! I used to suffer horribly with seasonal allergies and tried everything out there with little or no relief. Then an Amish friend convinced me to try a spoonful of raw honey every day, and it's worked like a miracle! I have a heaping teaspoon every morning, starting in early spring and throughout the summer into late fall, and have been totally allergy-free. I know honey is a South Beach no-no, but I'm willing to overlook that for the relief I get.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

Default inconsistencies

My husband is a professional writer. The good doctor is not. If you find inconsistancies I know my husband and I presume other writers appreciate it being bought to their attention. If his email isn't online you can send to the publisher probably the editor. ( it could also be the editors fault)

This way he can fix it in late editions. Meanwhile I think the best action is to understand his concepts and go by that. so using carrots in phase one for example is not a good idea.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

I'm actually follow a slightly different plan but its similar to South Beach.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #14  
Beach Bum

Cottage-thanks for the honey information, i love to take that honey and mix it with peanut butter on a slice of toast...mmmmmm

Spirit-I was beginning to think that some writers leave mistakes in their books on purpose to see if anyone catches them. I have read almost all of Janet Evanovich and in every book I find some sort of error.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW 226/ CW217/ GW 145

Height: 5'4

Hey everyone. I went to the book store just last weekend and got this little paperback titled " The South Beach Diet GOOD FATS, GOOD CARBS GUIDE... COMPLETELY REVISED AND UPDATED" Its about 150 page paperback about the size of the large index cards. In it they talk about how further studies show new results. so carrots are ok in phase 2 and bananas also back on the menu. The book is filled with charts of different foods and whether each food is GOOD, or something to AVOID in each phase. I keep it in my bag so I can look at it when every I want.
mommamurray is offline   Reply With Quote