South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #1  

Smile Phase II Transitioning 2/10 - 2/24

Thought I'd start a thread for people transitioning to Phase II...seems like it would be a good counterpart to our Phase I thread!

Anybody else transitioning right now? How's it going?

Last edited by bellaluna; 02-10-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

I ate 1/2 a WW English muffin and an apple yesterday. It's strange to eat that and wonder if you're eating too much.

But without adding the carbs back it's hard to get even 1200 calories unless I eat peanut butter. I'm not really that fond of nuts. And I'm getting sick and tired of cottage cheese.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

I just completed my first week of Phase II and weighed myself this morning. I lost 2 lbs this week, so I was really happy with that. It's right where I was hoping to be. Also, our treadmill broke and I was without exercise this week (because I was too lazy to figure out something else). I have been eating 1 to 2 servings per day of whole wheat bread products, and haven't added fruit yet, but will start today with one serving each day for the next week. I am really trying to ease into this.

Also going shopping for a new treadmill today.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #4  

I am into phase 2. Ihave added an orange every day. YUMMY!!! and I have had brown rice one day and one piece of bread another. I have only been doing phase 2 for 2 days so I can't say how it is going.
Tammie
Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

The most cautious and recommended approach is to add the apple, and have it every day for a week. Then the next week keep eating the apple and add oatmeal (for example) for the week, and so on. This is a VERY SLOW entry into Ph2, and is really helpful to avoid that stall that a lot of people have temporarily when they go into Ph2. It's probably okay to just do the apple for a few days and then switch to another fruit if you want, and some people just add a fruit a day for the first week, but switch off the type of fruit. But it pays to be cautious - you won't regret it, even if you have to wait for some things, but you will regret it if you add back too fast and have to deal with the cravings and end up going off plan.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #6  

This is just the thread I need! I was just ready to go to Ph2 and came down with strep throat - after getting that cleared up and starting Ph 2 I must have hit a plateau. Even though I'm eating on program and adding one extra carb (either fruit or whole grain) back each day, the scale refuses to move. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #7  

Thank you so much, Schmoodle! That is incredibly helpful!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm feeling torn emotionally between wanting to add things back in and not wanting to.

Waquilter, I'll bow to the more experienced Phase 2ers here, but I wonder if a few days of Phase 1 might revitalize everything?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Moving in to Phase II can be "scary". We've all been there. The best thing to do as Schoodle said is to ease into it and really, really listen to what your own body is telling you. There are going to be times when your weight stalls, there are going to be times of plateus (I'm a queen of plateaus). If the scale is aggrivating you, put the thing away and go by how you feel and how your clothes are fitting you. I have been pretty much "stalled" at the same weight for a couple of months now, but have gone down another size which is past what my goal was. Your body will tell you by the way it reacts to certain foods. If you eat something and a little while later, you are starving, that's a sign to either cut back on or eliminate that food from your diet...or try it again a couple of weeks later and see if you get the same reaction to it. The world won't end if you get cravings or put on a lb...just readjust and move on. For me, I can only eat "grains" once a day...if I eat more, I get cravings...it's just me and others may do fine with more than one serving. If I eat a sandwich for breakfast, then I don't eat any rice, pasta etc for the rest of the day...like I said, just me and how my body reacts. If I don't have veggies and protein with that grain, then I get cravings but only at certain time..ie, if I just have a bowl of some kind of grain for breakfast, an hour later I'm starving. But if I have a bowl of grains in the evening as a snack after eating protein and vegs a couple of hours earlier, I'm just fine. It's weird.

Still get lots of water, tons of veggies and keep an ear out for that little "body voice"!!

Last edited by femmecreole; 02-10-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #9  

I remember being terrified of PH2 also, and I'm sure I posted on here about it lots of times. Learning to hear that little voice is something I had never done, and so that was my big challenge. I am still working on it. I also never moved beyond 1 grain and 1 fruit most days. I was thinking to try upping it to 2 grains now and see how I do. Great points Cat!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #10  

Thanks for the great advice Femme and Smoodle. WHen I did SB before I never learned to listen to that voice. maybe that is why I gained back what I had lost. I am trying harder to listen. I am not a patient person and for me it is hard to wait for this weight to come off. But I am commited to thinking of this as a lifetime change and not a diet. I did have a piece of bread yesterday it was a 12 grain bread I had a whole sandwich but only ate 1 piece of the bread and the insides. I kinda felt like I was craving something salty yesterday afternoon and seemed to be more hungry so I guess I wont have that kind of bread again. It was at a deli restraunt type place and I just couldn't stomach just a salad. Was tired of salads. I did have it with a ceasar side salad.

Cesar dressing is ok right? It wasn't the ceasar that caused the hungry feeling and cravings?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm 3 weeks into Phase II and I eat oatmeal every day. Last week I added strawberries. This week I need to introduce another fruit. I haven't noticed any cravings yet. I was beginning to think I wouldn't lose anymore but yesterday I was down 2# from the end of Phase I so I'm happy with that. I just plan on going super slow.
I love how easy it is to eat at restaurants on SBD. We went to Cheddar's on Friday and I got a salad with grilled salmon on it. Oil & vinegar for dressing. I'm going to Olive Garden with friends tomorrow. That looks to be more of a challenge. Does anyone have any suggestions for entrees there?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Tammie, Caesar dressing is usually just fine, but some have more sugars than others, so check the ingredients first. Cardini's makes a wonderful Caesar dressing, but I'm not sure if it's available all over.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #13  

murph, I ate at Olive Garden a few months ago, and remember I had a hard time finding anything that wasn't high fat or didn't have pasta. I got the bottomless minestrone soup and salad, and fortunately it was really good salad. I just ate salad until I was stuffed, and ate around the pasta in the minestrone as much as I could.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #14  

Doesn't olive garden have a whole wheat pasta? Or did they? I haven't been there in a while so not sure.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #15  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I am entering my 4th week in phase 2. I guess I didn’t follow the most cautious way of adding back items. I started with fruit...berries only for a few days. Then I added pears and cuties - small oranges of some sort - and peaches. I did notice that I had to eat my fruit with a protein or I would want to eat everything in my sight. It works out for me because I prefer fruit with cottage cheese, so that was one of my snacks every day.
The next week I did the same thing with fruit and cottage cheese and also added in a grain. It really varied on the day...mostly because I was on vacation and my sister makes ww pasta A LOT...so I had that and ww pita, ww bread, and a piece of sourdough. This week I added in another grain. I am not sure exactly how this has affected my scale since my weighing schedule was off when I was on vacation. I still lost 3 lbs...So I think I am doing okay. I’m just not sure exactly in what timeframe. I will know more next Sat. I usually eat my grain in the morning, like an english muffin with eggs and lean ham. Then I have a grain with my dinner. I find I don’t have cravings that way. When I have grains in the afternoon, I feel like snacking so I won’t eat grains for lunch.

I don’t know if I will add 3 grains. That just seems too scary for me. I actually can’t believe I added two grains. I did try oatmeal this morning but I had to eat a piece of LF Swiss cheese before because oatmeal makes me hungry. I don’t think I will be doing that again.
Closed Thread