South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

Default Sugar Free candy ??

Ok - I think I have figured out that on Phase 1 I can have sugar free hard candy (Werthers), hot chocolate made with skim, splenda and cocoa (the real stuff!), even sugar free fudgesicles - but can I have sugar free chocolate cady like dove or a peppermint patty? DH bought me some and I can wait a week if I must, but would be more than happy to indulge in one if it was allowed at this time.

Thanks! Ally
amasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I think you can--it counts as part of your 75 calories of "sweet treats" for the day.

Even though technically you can have them, though, beware that even these things made with sugar alcohols instead of regular sugar can still trigger cravings for more.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I think you can--it counts as part of your 75 calories of "sweet treats" for the day.

Even though technically you can have them, though, beware that even these things made with sugar alcohols instead of regular sugar can still trigger cravings for more.
Also beware that having sugar free anything still needs to be moderated. Sugar Alcohols, when consumed in large quantities have been shown to up the risk of "getting the trots".

Even having too much sugar free gum can cause this to happen, (this coming from a diabetic who lived on sugar free sweets for a year X___x).

Anything is fine in moderation, but dont think a sugar free peppermint patty would harm your diet as an occasional treat
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I've definitely fallen victim in the past to have *ahem* gastrointestinal upset due to consuming too many sugar alcohols. This lovely side effect can come as *ahem again* the runs or gas--or both! Hopefully, though, by sticking to 75 calories or less per day, you'll be okay. Everyone's sensitivity is different, though, so I'd start slowly and see how you feel.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #5  

I agree I don't like the SF popsicles. I think they have a nasty after taste. I really like the NSA ones though. LOL

Oh and if you like the normal peppermint patties you will like the SF ones but they do make you ahem "gassy" LOL I bought them and had hubby hide them even though he didn't do a good job. He hid them in the freezer right up front. LOL So I wouldn't be tempted to eat more than 2 at a time. Next time I will only eat 1 at a time.

Tammie

Last edited by tammie00; 02-10-2008 at 10:19 AM.
tammie00 is offline   Reply With Quote