South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #61  
Determined to lose!

Hi guys. My how time slips through the fingers like water! I can't believe it's been a couple months since I posted. I've been so busy I haven't planned my meals, and we ALL know what that means. So, here I am once AGAIN trying to get myself on a regimine! I truly need help, so If someone would be my "buddy" on the yahoo messenger that would be a blessing as I do not come in here often. Good luck to all of ya!

Oh yea, since my last effort I put on ten pounds (weighing in this week at 191, but this morning down to 189) So I'm quite disappointed!

Last edited by Loriann7; 02-08-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:13 AM   #62  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

only1, I am the same way--I'll take cheese or chips over candy any day! I can easily pass by free chocolate (I'm probably one of the few women in the world who really doesn't care much for chocolate), but if someone puts ouf a bowl of, say, free dry roasted lightly salted cashews, that's a whole different ball game!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

seaduck Maybe it's just water retention? Guys don't tend to suffer from that very much.

Loriann I don't use yahoo very often, but if you use msn feel free to message me. I'm [email protected].
Old 02-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 164/156/123

Height: 5'2

I'm a slow loser, too. Lost 6 the first week, zip the second, 3 the third week, maybe one this past week. Dont concentrate on scale.
I know I cant have nuts around, too tempting. Maybe its the salt in the nuts and/or V8. change up your menu some, dont get bored. Keep at it, it will come off. DH lost 14 but I know I cant compare to him. But hey 10 lbs is great for me, I'll take it!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Good morning

Day 5, Phase 1

Its getting easier to plan meals..........The grape drink sounds fabulous ONL. Before we get another snow storm I need to go out, am I am looking for that. In fact I like Crystal light and usually have it in the summer. I mix it with seltzer water and call it a cooler ! I haven't seen the grape though.
Sea Duck: I am a guilty watcher of the biggest looser. The last two weeks have been about eating enough calories, especially when you exercise. You are doing a fair amount of exercise compared to my couch potato leg lifts. I would look into the calorie thing if I were you, can't hurt.

My DH who is a horrible eater, and loves his beer etc. Has the most wonderful blood work! His Cholesterol is fine, his triglycerides are fine, his sugar is fine......Rotten ol man!!!! He is somewhat following this diet with me. For example I made a mock spaghetti sauce and served mine over cauliflower. He had pasta. I'll loose something, but I just know he'll loose a ton more.

But I'm not loosing my hair, and I console myself with that

Kay
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
only1, I am the same way--I'll take cheese or chips over candy any day! I can easily pass by free chocolate (I'm probably one of the few women in the world who really doesn't care much for chocolate), but if someone puts ouf a bowl of, say, free dry roasted lightly salted cashews, that's a whole different ball game!
I don't care for chocolate either. I might on occasion eat a candy bar (never solid chocolate), but I downright detest the taste of chocolate pudding, cake, ice cream, etc. You are right, it isn't very common!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #67  

Bellaluna: Maybe I am just slow. My goal is to lose 25 pounds. This is definitely a new way of eating -- five meals a day feels like I'm eating all the time. My pattern used to be breakfast, maybe lunch but not always, dinner. I'm not a cook, and to be honest, I don't think too much about food. I know that doesn't sound like a recipe for putting on weight, but maybe two-meals-a-day was part of it. We also eat out a lot. And we typically have wine with dinner. One thing that attracted me to SB was the sense that a lot of sugar was creeping into my diet. And now I know it was more than I even guessed! After years of not having problems, I put on 30 pounds after I got married -- I went from 125 to 155. I think husbands might be the issue. <g>

Neko: Hard to imagine that it's water retention given how often I need to run to the bathroom! <g> But maybe that's how these things work; I do feel like I'm consuming a bit more sodium than I used to. I'm past worrying about TOM (I'm 53...don't know if age matters).

Chigirl: I don't know about the calories; haven't checked, but I will. I haven't really been hungry, and when I have, I've eaten a bit more. The Taco Bake was very filling.

Only1naked: I confess that I'm a little confused about dairy. I really like dairy --one of things that attracted me to SB. It seems that you're not supposed to overindulge on milk (even no fat?) or yogurt (even no fat?) but low-fat cheese and cottage cheese (and sour cream?) are OK. I might be wrong on that --I hope someone can set me straight. But I think I've been within the guidelines.

Many thanks to you all. Your support helps a lot.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayL17 View Post
But I'm not loosing my hair, and I console myself with that
Kay
hehe. I have a skinny, horrible eating husband too. I also console myself with the fact I have a full head of shiny blonde hair and he's only got a bit in the back.

seaduck From what I've read here (and anybody who knows I'm wrong, feel free to correct me) you should only have in P1, two servings of lowfat dairy a day (ie milk, yogurt) However, cheese is very low in carbs so I think it is considered a protein source. Cottage cheese is all protein and no carbs. If you play around with fitday, you can see a difference in the fat/carb/protein composition between cottage cheese and FF yogurt. Sour cream I think you consider a fat, so you really shouldn't overindulge on that.

hmm.. So definitely no TOM issues to consider withwater retention. lol I'm still at the prime age for that so it's always a consideration for me. Maybe it's too much sodium. Those laughing cow cheeses are low in calories but high in sodium. I love them, but I've been trying to avoid them. Canned salmon and cottage cheese are both high in sodium too. I try buy the low sodium kind of cottage cheese, but sadly it's not quite the same.

Last edited by Neko; 02-08-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #69  
Eating for two!

Alright, I do not know what is wrong with me. I am SO hungry and feel like eating all the time! It's not near TOM, I'm not pregnant, I eat plenty of protein (over 100g a day), I take a daily multivitamin, I get fiber in my diet, and I'm not exercising (I know exercising can sometimes cause hunger from burning calories). I'm not eating sugar or many "unallowed" carbs, and it's not just cravings, and it's not just boredom (I'm at work, not home twiddling my thumbs watching tv or anything)--it's hunger. I've tried waiting it out for at least 20 minutes, but the feeling doesn't go away. I've tried drinking water to make sure it's not actually thirst (I've had 4 LITERS of water in the past 7 hours). I am at a loss as to what else to do. I overate yesterday and am well on my way to overeating today (I know you don't have to track calories on SB, but I do anyway when I journal my food, and my calories are getting quite high). Bleh. Anyway, back to trying not to eat anything for my last hour here at the office...

Neko, "not quite the same" is a major understatement in my book when it comes to low sodium cottage cheese--I couldn't eat more than the first bite! Not that I'm a huge cottage cheese fan anyway, but I thought since I didn't care for it much anyway with all the salt, maybe I wouldn't miss the salt, but that definitely backfired for me.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #70  

Jill, have you considered using a fiber supplement, like sugar free Citrucel or something similar to help make you feel fuller before you eat? Even if you are getting enough fiber, maybe drinking a glass of this before a meals or snack times can help get rid of some of the hunger. Are you a fan of cauliflower, like I am? I will never get hungry because I can munch on that all the live long day. Do you have a guilt-less option similar to that one that might be a solution?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #71  

[B]Neko[B]-- Re low-salt cottage cheese: I'm with Jill on this one! Stuff's vile. Husband bought it for me by mistake. Yikes. I ended up putting salt on it so I could get it down. And then gave the rest to the dog.

Jill--I wish I could advise you, but as you can tell, I haven't got this figured out either. But maybe 'overeating' -- if it's the right stuff -- ain't so bad. You might settle down. When I started, I think I was obsessing a bit about this and thinking about food all the time, so I felt like I was really overeating. And then one morning, I didn't do that anymore.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi chicks, mind shoving over so I can spread out my towel? I am moving back down to this part of the beach for a week or so starting tomorrow. I need to get myself out of Girl Scout cookie ****. Okay, I'm just going to curl up here and go to sleep. See ya in the morning. Please tell the cabana boy I'd like a cuppa cawfee waiting when I wake up.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:00 AM   #73  
Eating for two!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. My problem is I can't stand any veggies plain--must have some kind of sauce or dip (usually made with cheese or sour cream) to smother them in. I've ALWAYS hated veggies, and though I'm eating more veggies on this plan that pretty much ever before, I doubt Iwill EVER get my full 4.5 servings of veggies a day

I was thinking about Only1's fiber suggestion, though, and I think I may try that. If nothing else, it certainly can't hurt, right? Unless it has, umm, gastrointestinal effects of too much fiber

I know sometimes we need more food, but I'm certainly not doing any exercise that owuld make me think I need more right now And I know on SB, we can eat as much as we need to feel satisfied, but it's already having very negative effects on my scale, and I don't want to overeat myself right back to where I started, especially since I've not lost a lot of weight yet, so I don't really have much wiggle room. And I know the scale is not the be all end all determinator of success, but my pants sure aren't fitting any looser, so...

Well, look at me, I feel like such a whiner! Sorry, guys--I really am usually quite positive! I've just been feeling like a bottomless pit lately and wich I could figure out why.

I ate pizza last night. And NOT a whole wheat crust. I did order thin crust instead of regular, but it's still a bunch of white flour crap. Howcome there are no pizza delivery places that offer a whole grain crust? Maybe that should be my new business venture
Old 02-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #74  

Jill, I think I would like to see you do a week of Phase I with NO CHEATS. It looks like you have been having quite a few cheats, which can easily contribute to the feelings of hunger. I don't know if a week of Phase I by the book will solve the problems, but it's another thing that can't hurt. Wanna give it a try?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #75  
Eating for two!

Only1, I can definitely give it a try. ha, I'll have to start tomorrow since I had another piece of the pizza this morning That's fine, though, since I'd originally intended to do the full 2 weeks again, so tomorrow would be starting my second week anyway. And I don't think there are any events going on at work, nor are we going to any parties or anything (although even when I did go to a party with a buffet the first time I did Phase 1, all I had was veggies and chicken breast!).

bella, cravings aren't the problem for me at all. I can easily pass by the chips, the bagels, the donuts, the chocolate, etc. I was just HUNGRY. We ordered the pizza not because I was craving it, but rather because I was frustrated and didn't feel like cooking or eating another d@mn salad

Also, now that I've gone and taken a nap and thought about some things, I'd like to stop focusing on not being able to pinpoint my hunger and focus on something more positive. Since I started (somewhat loosely) following South Beach...
  • I have not had McDonald's in a month.
  • I have been eating lunch out much less--I usually bring something to work for lunch, and if I do go out, I get a chicken caesar salad without croutons.
  • I have been eating dinner out much less--Jeff and I used to go out for dinner almost EVERY night. I'm not kidding; it was getting pretty ridiculous. When I started SB, we made the agreement that we would not eat out for dinner on weeknights, only weekends, and still not for EVERY meal on the weekends.
  • While I haven't lost tons of weight, when I started, my scale said 322 (I considered 320 my starting point since 322 was an unusually high number for me), but my scale said 313.5 this morning.
  • When I drive to work in the morning, I no longer feel like falling asleep at the wheel, I'm still tired since I get up at 5am, but I used to have junk for breakfast (often McD's), and I would just DRAG all morning long and sort of feel like I was in a fog. I don't get that feeling anymore.
  • I'm eating more veggies. I still don't eat as many as I should, but I've definitely increased my consumption.
  • I've tried some new recipes. Some good, some not so good, but it gets me thinking and trying new things. I used to cook new things a lot when we lived in an apartment and had no puppies, but since we moved into our townhouse in August, I had hardly tried anything new at all, so it's good to get back in the kitchen (even though I don't like cooking, but I do like trying new things ).
  • I'm feeling more in control. Even when I have my little "cheats," they are things that are still MUCH healthier than the junk I used to eat on a regular basis (i.e., fast food, sandwiches from 7-11, potato chips, etc.).
  • When I look in my closet and see a piece of clothing that doesn't fit me anymore, I used to think, "ugh, why do I even keep this around?" but now I usually just think, "hmm, not quite yet."
  • I've regained the strength I thought I'd lost to say no to free goodies (like the cookies at the office yesterday!). There was a time a little over a year ago when I was ON FIRE about turning down things I knew I shouldn't eat, but I'd fallen back to old habits, and I couldn't seem to pull up my big girl pants again and say no. But now, I do it all the time again.
And so, even I find SBD is not the key for me, it has helped me in SO many ways. I may go back to whole foods and calorie counting eventually (which I know is basically SB anyway, just with fewer restrictions), but starting out a more defined plan has really helped a lot.

Last edited by jillybean720; 02-09-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Closed Thread