South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Height: 5'8"

Default Question about updated food list

Hi. I'm not new, but trying again after a very long time. I was just a little confused about the updated food list that was posted. For example, milk is on it. Milk isn't in my SB book in phase one, so with this new list, does it mean I can have a glass of milk with dinner? Does it mean that the milk replaces something else? Also, there are no quantities listed in my book. So if I can have as much cauliflower as I want, does that mean I can now have as much milk as I want? Please help me, I'm very confused.
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #2  

Hi

Yes you can have milk in phase 1. It is recommended to have 2 servings of dairy a day. This includes milk and plain fat yogurt. Cheese is counted as a protein.

Tammie
tammie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #3  

Forgive me, I must be really dense. But there is a food plan in my SB book. I'm supposed to follow the meals everyday. So where do I fit milk in, and any additional food that is on that updated list? Do I just make up my own menu? (I am using the first book that came out).
Old 02-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #4  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I would recommend making your own mealplan as the book gets a tad tricky. For some ideas we have a daily menu thread going on for this week take a look at it for some ideas
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #5  

Since that first book came out I believe there have been quite a few changes. I think tomatoes were not allowed in phase 1 but are now. Some others that I don't remember. I know that the food list on this site is update with the newest information.

tammie
tammie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Not to add any more confusion to this confusing thread

As I have said before, I copied and pasted from the official website AND from here and they do not match. Close but not a match. On the official SBD website it says 1 1/2 c milk per day but on here it says 2 c per day. I guess, I would follow whichever you feels makes sense to you.

I am glad to hear that cheese is counted as a protein because he recommends it as a mid morning and afternoon snack.

I am following the meal plan that is outlined in the turquoise paperback edition of the book. It is as follows for Phase One: (you can substitute other protein sources for the eggs or bacon as outlined in the food list)

Breakfast:

2 eggs
1 Tb canola oil or ICBINB spray
2 slices turkey bacon
1/2 c vegetables

Midmorning Snack:

reduced fat string cheese or 15 nuts

Lunch:

lean protein
1 TB canola or olive oil(or other approved fat source)
2 c vegetables

Midafternoon Snack:
reduced fat string cheese or 15 nuts

Supper:
lean protein
1 TB canola or olive oil(or other approved fat source)
2 c vegetables

Snack:

sugar free hard candies, Jello or other sugar free dessert
(not to exceed 75 calories)

On Phase 2: you can add in 2-3 carbs per day and 2-3 fruit servings per day but not to exceed that until you reach Phase 3. On the official website he suggests 1 carb and 1 fruit per meal. You can add the milk where you want.

This is the meal plan I have followed since I began. I keep a food diary every day. You can drop the snacks if you want but I find that I need them because I am hungry at those times. In order for me to lose 2 lbs per week, I can NOT exceed his recommended amount nor can I venture outside of the lower glycemic fruits or even vegetables.

I am trying to follow this food plan the way that it was written in the book and on his website. I want it to work. I do admit that I still go back and recheck the food list just because he is not as specific as it seems we all need him to be. I hear that a new edition of the book is coming out soon. I am at the point where I am ready to give this guy a call and ask him a couple of questions in person! If I do, I will let you know what I find out!

I feel there is nothing worse than thinking you are following a diet only to find out that you misunderstood how it was meant to work. I read the book in December and I still periodically check back.

Any new or enlightening input we will all appreciate!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-05-2008 at 05:20 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #7  

Thank you for the charts! They are very helpful!!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

Those charts ROCK! Thanks so much for sharing. I have a question about dairy...

I am not a fan of dairy items, with the exception of any yogurt that is NOT plain. I won't drink yucky milk because I think it is yucky and none of you will convince me otherwise. Yuck. Anyhow... When those charts say that 2-3 cups milk/dairy is ALLOWED in Phase II, does that mean I MUST incorporate the dairy, or just that it's okay if I want to?
only1naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

My impression is to incorporate the dairy if you want it. I've never seen the point of trying to eat something you don't like.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Neko is right--you don't HAVE to have the milk if you don't want it. Or you could incorporate it in the form of yogurt or maybe some instant sf pudding. I believe the only thing you NEED to eat a certain amount of is lots of veggies!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #11  

Just remember it is important to make sure you get your calcium. I eat yogurt as a snack nearly every day. I used to not drink milk as I didn't like it but now I put a splash of SF chocolate syrup (Torani) or SF Irish Cream syrup in the milk and it tastes so good! The milk seems to help fill me up too.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb0522 View Post
Just remember it is important to make sure you get your calcium.
Not to be difficult or argumentative at all, but recent studies have shown that most dairy products actually leech calcium from your system in order to process the dairy, and they typically TAKE more calcium from you than they provide. I just learned this very recently. I still drink milk and eat yogurt and such because I just plain like it, but I also take a calcium supplement. Dark green veggies are also a good source of calcium (collard greens, spinach, broccoli, etc.), and calcium is often added to things like bread an orange juice (although I'm sure most of us here don't take in enough of either of those to amount to much!).

http://milk.elehost.com/html/why_doe...e_the_bon.html

http://www.articlesalley.com/article...%20Need%20Milk

Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 218/212/160

But if the calcium supplement doesn't have Vitamin D, your body probably won't absorb it. Also, if you take other supplements, such as Folic Acid, it will counteract the calcium, so don't take all at the same time of the day... Lots of things to keep in mind.

Regardless... I get my calcium from cheese & yogurt, which I ate every day for years until I had to give it up in phase I (I can't eat plain, ew.)
only1naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1naked View Post
But if the calcium supplement doesn't have Vitamin D, your body probably won't absorb it. Also, if you take other supplements, such as Folic Acid, it will counteract the calcium, so don't take all at the same time of the day... Lots of things to keep in mind.
yupyup, you need the D! And just to add to the list of things to keep in mind (as if we all need more to remember ), when taking a calcium supplement, most tablets contain 500-600mg calcium, and the directions say to take 2 tablets daily. However, your body can only absorb up to about 500mg at one time, so if you are taking both tablets at once, you might as well just dump half the bottle in the trash because the second one won't be absorbed--you have to space them out during the day. Nice how they don't tell you THAT on the label
Old 02-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 164/156/123

Height: 5'2

I need to get in dairy more-where can I buy that SF chocolate syrup??
SAnativegirl is offline   Reply With Quote