South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #1  

Default SBD Products

Are there any SBD-approved products that y'all recommend? The first week of Phase I, I bought everything with a SBD label on it. Then realized that the ingredients don't follow the principles (e.g., mixed nuts are salted, lots of the things have HFCS and other verbotens) so quickly stopped that!

But here's my real question: are ANY of them good choices? Have to admit, I do appreciate convenience sometimes (full-time job and kids see to that). Getting ready to move to Phase 2 so have been looking at the cereals and wraps, in particular, so any thoughts on those would be especially welcomed.

Just curious: has anyone contacted Kraft or SBD to see why they are labelling things that don't follow the rules? It just seems like a big trick! And I'm very disappointed because it seems like you should just be able to look for that label (one of the things that appealed to me about the beach before actually going on it) and shop that way.

Last edited by bellaluna; 02-04-2008 at 12:26 PM.
bellaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hey, Bellaluna!

Yup, you're in good company in being frustrated with the products. There are a bunch of threads on them in this forum and in the FAQ. If you search, you'll find them. Most have "Kraft" in them somewhere...

Here are a few from the FAQ (note the dates, okay? Some are more than 2 years old...):

SBD Items from Kraft?
South Beach Foods in Stores
New South Beach Diet Bars
SBD-Friendly Products

Basically, some of the SBD products are better than the other things that are out there. For instance, my nutrition clinic recommends the SBD Cereal bars to all their clients because they are very low in sugar and high in protein. Nonetheless, the point of SBD is getting away from processed foods--so use your best judgement.

If you're going to use the SBD processed foods, just make sure you pay attention to what phase they are--I don't think any of them are safe in P1 except some of the frozen meals.

I do like the cereal bars some of the time, but know I need to stop eating them as the malitol in them can cause cravings and definitely does for me.

For cereal, some choices are Uncle Sam, Fiber One (only the original), Cheerios, Shredded Wheat (plain, without sugar), plain multigrain flakes (no sugar), etc. Try health food stores or sections of the supermarket. I found brown rice crispies in mine!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by beachgal; 02-04-2008 at 12:36 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #3  

Oh, the SBD-Friendly thread is exactly what I have been looking for, thanks! Actually, I read all of the threads you linked to--all very helpful.

Last edited by bellaluna; 02-05-2008 at 12:02 AM.
bellaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

We're allowed cheerios? That would make breakfast cereal shopping alot easier.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #5  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I like the SBD cereal with yogurt bites. DH likes the SBD cereal that is some sort of crunch bites??? We also use the cereal bars occasionally for a quick b-fast or a snack item. The meal replacement bars are ok, but are 200+ calories. They are filling though. The Asian chicken wrap is reported to be tasty from my DD. The SBD salad dressings should be ok, but I haven't read the labels on those. Packaged foods may not be the healthiest choice due to the ingredients but sometimes having something to grab and go is necessary to stay on track.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #6  

Kraft makes a BBQ sauce with the South Beach seal that is okay to use. I also use the Heinz One Carb ketchup which I thinks has the South Beach seal. I used both of these before Kraft started labeling them for South Beach and they meet the requirements. I also use the turkey bacon (but I don't remember the brand) that has the South Beach label. Those are the main things I use.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I use the SBD ranch dressing. It is labeled for Phase II & II but I used it in Phase I with no problem. My husband likes it too.
I'm a little afraid to use the SBD cereal bars. I got in to trouble eating those before.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote