A recipe for your review - Please

• Morning Everyone:

Below is a recipe from Rachel Ray that I have changed to suit SBD. However, I wanted to share it with all of you AND see if I missed anything that we cannot have in Phase 1 or 2. Personally, I had about 5 different types of beans including black, kidney, refried (which serves as a thickner for the chili), cannalini and pinto. Sometimes even navy as well. Let me know what you think.

Sabby K.

Veg-Head Three-Bean Chili

2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) olive
    1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped
    1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
    4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
    1 cup vegetable stock/broth
    1 (32- ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1 (14-ounce) can black beans
    1 (14-ounce) can dark red kidney beans
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1 cup spicy vegetarian refried beans
    Toppings:
    8 ounces (2 cups shredded) spicy Monterey jack or smoked cheddar
    Chopped scallions, whites and greens
    Diced fresh seeded plum tomato

Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables. Deglaze pan with broth, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans, and stirring to combine.

Season chili with cumin, chili powder, and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans. Simmer over low heat about 15 minutes longer, then serve up bowls of chili and top with shredded cheese, scallions, and tomatoes.
  • Looks yummy. Should be okay as long as you make sure none of your beans have added sugar.
  • How many servings? Nutritional info would also be great.
    I'm eating a multi-bean chili for lunch today!
  • What should I look for on the can to know it contains sugar?
  • Read the ingredients. You want to see: beans, water, salt. No added sugars, nothing ending in -ose. It can be confusing because some brands have sugar added to some types of beans, but not to others, so you really have to read through them. If you have trouble finding some, check the organic canned beans, sometimes I have better luck with them. It can be very hard to find sugarless kidneys for some reason. I also cook big batches of beans at home and freeze them in 2-cup portions to use in chili and stews.

Also, your recipe calls for vegetarian refried beans, so they should be fine, but if they don't say vegetarian, also check the label because sometimes these have lard in them, and we want to avoid saturated fats.