3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Phase II Question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/133019-phase-ii-question.html)

murphmitch 01-30-2008 01:06 PM

Phase II Question

Do you eat less of the original Phase I foods when on Phase II? Does adding oatmeal or whole grains mean you eat less of the protein items you ate in Phase I? I now eat oatmeal for breakfast and I don't have room for anything else like eggs in the AM. If you add fruit at lunch, do you find yourself eating less of the main dish. I guess I'm thinking by the time I add in 3 fruits & 3 healthy grain items, I will be eating more total volume and calories, unless I eat less of the protein (especially with all the veggies we eat). If I feel full like I do now, I don't know how I'm going to eat all that.

Schmoodle 01-30-2008 01:12 PM

You may eat a little less of the other stuff, but you still need to get in your 4.5 cups of veggies/day (very important). And remember, it's 2 - 3 servings of fruit/day. Your SB combo may not be 3 fruits and 3 grains. I eat 1 - 2 fruits/day, and 2 grains most days. Also, the fruit servings and grain servings are not large - 1 piece of bread, 7 triscuits, 1 tortilla, etc. For fruit, 1 SMALL apple, 1/2 small banana. So if I have 1/2 banana with my breakfast, a sandwich with 2 slices of bread for lunch, and an apple in the afternoon, I'm done with my fruits and grains, and the rest of the day is filled up with lean protein, dairy, beans and VEGGIES.
I also think most people are probably eating less calories while they are on phase 1 than when they begin Phase 2, but it is not a WOE that can be sustained long-term.

beachgal 01-30-2008 01:20 PM

Hi, Anne!

You'll find tons of great information on how to move into Phase 2 in the What's Your P2 Combo? thread in the FAQ.

Basically, we all have different combinations of fruits and starches (grains) that work for us. I haven't heard of many who can take 3 of each and still lose without cravings. :shrug: Yes, these do take up some of the room that was occupied by other food on Phase 1, but not too much. Say, for dinner, you have a lean protein, a veggie, and a grain instead of two servings of veggies. You know?

For the oatmeal, make sure you make it with milk for more protein, and consider adding a few nuts and a swirl of agave nectar, plus some cinnamon (it helps your blood sugar and might also help prevent Type II Diabetes...plus it's yummy! :T ).

You may also find these threads helpful:
Emergency Handbook for Phase 2
Phase 2 - How to choose Breads

murphmitch 01-30-2008 02:35 PM

Thanks for the info. I have read the Phase II combo thread. I always use lots of cinnamon in my oatmeal and have tried it mixed with my nuts but I never thought to use milk to cook it with! I bought a paper back book "The South Beach Diet, Good Fats, Good Carbs Guide" that has portions listed so I don't think that will be a problem. I'm glad to hear I don't have to eat all 3 fruits & 3 grains if I'm not hungry. Do you think that too much of the carbs will cause cravings, or stall weight loss, or both?

Schmoodle 01-30-2008 02:39 PM

Yes, that's why it's so important to add things back slowly the first time you start Ph2, so you can see what works for you, what might cause cravings, how much is too much. It's a learning process because this is different for everyone.