South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:54 AM   #31  
Determined to lose!

Laurie... actually my name is Lori Ann (my daddy named me)... but I use Loriann on the net! (because there's less out there than Lori heheheeh).

I hear what your saying, and i know this is going to get my butt kicked (and I hope it does)...but I've tried the soy milk, I've tried the half and half... but it doesn't do justice,but you know, as I was typing this my mind jolted and said "half and half wasn't so bad" but my problem is I use too much half and half. sigh.. good thing I get the low fat h&h.

I think I'll stop on the way home tonight for that jug of ff h&h.

Laurie... I just checked my Wegman's creamer and it says 0 trans fat!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by beachgal; 05-18-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann7 View Post
Laurie... I just checked my Wegman's creamer and it says 0 trans fat!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, but what are the other ingredients?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:12 AM   #33  
Determined to lose!

Ingredients: Corn Syrup Solids (oops), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Palm oil, Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative). Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides, silicon dioxide, artificial Color, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin, artificial flavor.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann7 View Post
Ingredients: Corn Syrup Solids (oops), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Palm oil, Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative). Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides, silicon dioxide, artificial Color, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin, artificial flavor.
Ummm, are you sure you want to put all those chemicals in your body? Corn syrup solids and partially hydrogenated soybean and/or palm oil, are definite no-nos, and what is all that other stuff?
Personally, I'd stay away from it.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 02-21-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #35  
Determined to lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
Ummm, are you sure you want to put all those chemicals in your body? Corn syrup solids and partially hydrogenated soybean and/or palm oil, are definite no-nos, and what is all that other stuff?
Personally, I'd stay away from it.
Thats what I was thinking as I was typing the ingredients! And then I thought "I'll keep the jar for guests that may want it" and then thought "why would I encourage anyone to drink this GARBAGE" so, on my way IN to work I'm going to get some ff h&h for both home and work. I'd say home, but truth be told I do drink more coffee than I should.. .but no where near what I was doing just days ago. Yesterday I only had two at work as opposed to about six cups!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #36  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks, Cottage! That's just what I would have said.

Here's the thing with trans fats. I know this'll make sense if you think about it--when they required companies to put trans fats on the label, some of them did change how they made their food so trans fats weren't present any more. But many didn't. All they did was adjust the portion size (or reduce the partially hydrogenated oils) just enough that it was under 1g. If it's under that, the FDA says that they can list it as 0g. So it can have 0.9g, and still be listed as 0. With things like creamer, Cool Whip, etc., you use such a small amount to begin with that they don't need to even reduce what they were using to list it as 0.

That means that even though it's a good thing to check the label for trans fats, what you really need to look at is the ingredients list. Search for the word "hydrogenated." If you find it, and it's near the beginning of the list, it's full o' trans fats. The ingredients are listed in order of weight, from highest weight to lowest. So, in general, the ingredients at the beginning of the list are the ones that there are the most of. Hope this helps explain it.

I absolutely love that you're thinking of the health of your guests, too, Lori Ann! That's a sure sign of a change of thinking! It drove DH nuts at first, but I actually do that too--even so far as giving out non-candy treats at Halloween! I know, it's a bit much. But I hate the thought of making others deal with the sugar after knowing what it does to us.

The FF 1/2 n 1/2 isn't bad. My favorite is still 1 or 2% milk, or a latte with skim (where the whipped up milk is so creamy!).

I didn't think of it before, but has anyone tried one of those "extra creamy" skim milks in their coffee? You know, the kind where they add milk powder back in after taking out the fat?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #37  
Simply Filling Technique

Question I'm torn about sugar free instant coffees too

Some of the International Coffees have sugar free but I still see some of these other ingredients lurking right a long side of the fact that they are sugar free too.

What's the thought on that?

Last edited by pamatga; 02-21-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 182/177/160

Height: 5'10''

Lightbulb

I know that this is a little off topic, but since we have been talking about trans fats so much, I thought I would jump in. I am a very visual person, so when I heard this analogy, I well never forget it. (sorry, but I can't recall the Dr/source)
He said to imagine your body as an fine swiss watch. Now imagine that every time you eat trans fats, it is like opening the back of that watch and pouring grains of sand in. Can you guess what would happen before long!!
I think about that every time I am scanning a label. (I used to say, " It won't matter if we have just a little TF in this because it is SO worth it.") Now I think about this analogy and nothing is worth it!!
Sue
THIS IS WHERE MY TICKER SHOULD BE
Old 02-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #39  

""I didn't think of it before, but has anyone tried one of those "extra creamy" skim milks in their coffee? You know, the kind where they add milk powder back in after taking out the fat?"

Laurie -- I was just going to chime in about this. When people are talking about 'skim' milk, I assume you all mean that horrible blue-colored <g> thin watery milk stuff that's been around for a long time?

There is another product available in our area (New England), which goes under the names 'Hood Simply Smart' and 'Garelick Farms Over the Moon.' You can get it as 1% or FatFree, which is what we buy. The cartons say 'FatFree with the taste of 2%!' And it's true. The 1% version tastes like whole milk. I wondered how they did this, but I think Laurie's description is right. Advantages: more protein and I think more calcium. Disadvantage: more expensive. But definitely worth it. I'm a coffee snob (milk, no sugar), and think this is a fine compromise and definitely recommend trying it (or asking for it...it's a relatively new product, within the last year or so). My favorite local high-end coffee bar (not Starbucks) uses it to make 'skim' lattes.

BTW -- these same companies make FF Half and Half, but as other people have mentioned here, they tend to add in all sorts of Unprounceable Stuff. My rule: if I can't pronounce it or spell it, I don't eat it!
Old 02-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #40  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduck View Post
There is another product available in our area (New England), which goes under the names 'Hood Simply Smart' and 'Garelick Farms Over the Moon.' You can get it as 1% or FatFree, which is what we buy. The cartons say 'FatFree with the taste of 2%!' And it's true. ...
I checked into it, Seaduck, and it looks like Hood makes theirs by taking out more liquid (water, I assume). My mom up in WA gets some that they make by adding milk protein powder to the "blue stuff" you're thinking of. Personally, I'm a HUGE fan o' the blue stuff...I hate drinking straight milk with any fat in it. But I love 1% in my cereal and my hot cocoa!

I'm glad the super-creamy skim milks are tasty. Hope they are an option for coffee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduck View Post
...BTW -- these same companies make FF Half and Half, but as other people have mentioned here, they tend to add in all sorts of Unprounceable Stuff. My rule: if I can't pronounce it or spell it, I don't eat it!
I love that you capitalized "Unpronounceable Stuff"--I agree!!!

As for trans-fats, I love the analogy you gave, ADAgirl! It's some seriously scary stuff. I'm often tempted to think the same way--"Oh, it's only a little bit, so it's worth it..." but those little bits add up! Sue, do you need help getting your ticker up and working? If so, please PM me. I'd be glad to help!

Yes, pamatga, there are usually trans-fats in most dry drink powders, like International foods. You'll have to use your own judgement on what you want to do about that. I think, if you peruse the recipe forum, you'll find some recipes listed for, at least, hot cocoa mix. You might be able to make your own "International Coffees" mix at home, using non-trans-fat ingredients. The flavored Splenda packets come to mind...
Old 02-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #41  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile I am undecided

I am not that big of a coffee drinker although I do like it. I guess, I always felt that was what grown ups drank and I guess I haven't grown up yet! I read in a Splenda cookbook that evaporated milk can be substituted for fat free half n half in recipes so I thought---hey, why not, use it in coffee? I bought a can (no added sugar either or the other stuff!) and I told my DH to try it and see if he likes it.

I read that drinking caffeinated coffee can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer. Since it seems like cancer of the reproductive organs runs in my maternal side of the family, I thought I might start taking up drinking coffee again. I am such a huge diet soda drinker though....

however, on the other hand, I am playing with the idea though. I don't know, so many decisions and only one life to make them. sigh!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-25-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 182/177/160

Height: 5'10''

So, what's the verdict Pamatga? Did your DH like the evap. milk in his coffee?? Sorry, but if he is going to be the Ginny pig anyway...
Sue
Old 03-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

while reading this thread i was surprised how emotional i got. i guess i really feel strongly about having my creamer it is the one vice i retain during P1 .i actually use lo-fat condensed milk in my coffee and i find it delish! and it is sweet enough w/o added sweeteners
Closed Thread