Is the low carb Carl Jr's burger ok?

• Is the low carb Carl Jr's burger ok? I had one today without mayo and ketchup, and of course no bun. It said 490 cal's but maybe it was 450 or a little less.

Fitday gave the burger this: Cals, fat, carbs, protein: 490, 37, 6, 33

When I did the South Beach diet a few years ago I lost a lot of weight with exercise. I still pigged out on a big Carl Jr burger here and there.

I can't figure out how to really analyze fat, carbs and protein. Is this burger ok now and then? I'm on phase one, day 3.

I also had a side salad with bals. vinigrette with it.

I'm trying to keep my calories down, but with a small dinner I'll still be at 1200 for the day. I'm wanting to lose 8-10 lbs in 5-6 weeks.
  • That burger has an awful lot of fat in it, and I'm sure it's the bad kind of fat that we're trying to avoid. As a rare once-in-a-great-while treat, you could probably enjoy it, but I honestly think it's a bad choice and would go for a leaner cut of meat.
  • Is the ground beef:Extra Lean (96/4)· Lean (92/8)· Sirloin (90/10) ? If so, it is on plan. If not, it isn't, right?
  • ok you are right, it's not on the plan as it needs to be the low fat beef. I'll do it as a once in a while treat...

I'll have to make my own burgers with lowfat meat at home won't I? I'm still stuffed from lunch, I can't even think about dinner.
  • I pulled out the South Beach Dining Guide and checked the Carl's Jr section. It does say that even the bunless version that comes wrapped in lettuce leaves is still high in fat. It says a better option would be the Charbroiled Chicken Salad-to-go (hold the grated cheese and croutons and choose any dressing except the Thousand Island and Fat Free French. The Garden Salad-To-Go is also okay.
  • I forgot about the South Beach dining guide, I have that and need to keep it in my car with me as I travel for business. Or at least take notes of what to eat at different restaurants. I read somewhere that Carl Jr's is the worst place to eat of all of the burger joints. Wendy's is the best. I had a gift card for Carl Jr's I was trying to use up, there's $4 left so maybe one day I'll go back and get one more cheat burger as I love them then I'll quit that habit or at least make it very infrequent.

Why on earth do they call it a LOW CARB BURGER? When I dieted before a few years ago I didn't count calories or have a clue about fat/carbs/protein I just exercised a lot and ate what I THOUGHT was ok. Isn't amazing, you'd think something labeled LOW CARB would fit into the South Beach or Atkins diet wouldn't you?

What I read recently in an article is true, it's hard to eat right and stay fit in this society, society and restaurants seem to be AGAINST us and you really have to RESEARCH and PLAN don't you?
  • Quote:
    Why on earth do they call it a LOW CARB BURGER?
    Probably because it only has 4 net carbs.

http://dietfacts.com/html/nutrition-...-bun-24609.htm
  • Quote: Why on earth do they call it a LOW CARB BURGER? When I dieted before a few years ago I didn't count calories or have a clue about fat/carbs/protein I just exercised a lot and ate what I THOUGHT was ok. Isn't amazing, you'd think something labeled LOW CARB would fit into the South Beach or Atkins diet wouldn't you?
    Remember that South Beach isn't a "low carb" diet. It's a "good carb" diet. Whole grains and whole fruits and vegetables are an important staple of the South Beach diet.

Kara
  • Quote: Isn't amazing, you'd think something labeled LOW CARB would fit into the South Beach or Atkins diet wouldn't you?
    What Kara said, plus remember that South Beach is not ONLY about carbs--it's also about eating good fats and limiting the bad fats. This burger likely IS okay on Atkin's. I'm not an Atkin's expert, but I think their primary focus is on net carbs.
  • I see what you mean, I'm dusting off my South Beach diet books, and I even read the new one for heart health although I don't have problems. I like this diet, I think it's healthy except the first phase is very tough. I believe you are likely right, Atkins might approve the "low carb" burger but South Beach wouldn't now that I think about it more. I'm going to do this burger as an occassional cheat, but not often. What fast food burger is best, ok I know they won't taste like this, Carl Jr's burger is good, very good. But it's the fat, and now I know that's my "thing"... fatty foods seem to give me energy when I'm slumped.