South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

Default Did you Switch from another plan to SB?

Like alot of you I'm sure I have tried more diet plans then I can stand. I am currently doing SB and struggling a bit simple b/c when I did Atkins the weight came off with no problem.

I know slow and steady is the key but man I want this weight to move.

Anyway I was curious to know if anyone else switched from another plan (Atkins,WW, etc...) to SB? Why and how are things for you now since the switch?

Last edited by K-boogie; 01-30-2008 at 03:26 PM.
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I was doing slim fast diet before the south beach it slim fast worked for me I lost 40lbs and then I was introduced to south beach and it worked until I ran into some personal stuff
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I was counting calories before for the most part, and trying to eat more whole foods. I avoided trans fats and HFCS as much as humanly possible. I switched to SB because I needed more structure--I was filling a lot of my calories up with junk (healthier junk, but junk nonetheless). Things are going better for me on SB so far (it's been 2 weeks). I'm back to losing instead of maintaining, and I'm definitely eating more vegetables.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I haven't done too much dieting in the past. I tried the T-factor diet about 20 years ago and lost about 30 lbs. on that. Gained it back and more of course. Then I did Jenny Craig for about a month, lost 7 lbs. and spent quite a bit of money (the food was nasty). Gained that back and more. Then I decided dieting wasn't for me, and I was okay with being fat. I did try SB once before, about 2 years ago, but I didn't know about 3fc at that time, and tried to follow the menus in the book and couldn't stick with it.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I was using the flex plan on Weight Watchers and following it faithfully with 20-25 points, but it just wasn't working anymore. I think I was eating too many simple carbs, like Weight Watcher muffins, fiber one bars, etc. as snacks. Not especially healthy. I was more into the low fat thing. I actually was always afraid to use the fat allowed on Weight Watchers.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #6  
Enjoying The Beach!!

S/C/G: 131.5/114

I always turned to Slim-Fast in a pinch to drop a few pounds. Well, as the years went on, that got harder and harder to make happen. I tried the WW flex plan, but I'm all about seeing quick movement on the scale and that didn't happen, so I gave up on it after about two months. I found "the beach" and now this is just a way of life for me!!
liamylime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

I joined Weight Watchers 2 years ago, I droped 60 pounds the first year. Last year I only droped another 20 pounds, I wasn't as focused, wasn't tracking, just trying to watch it and weighing in every 2-3 weeks not really on program well. I quit going to WW in November and gained back 8 pounds. I'm now trying SB because I feel it is more healthy than the way I was eating on '"Flex", eating what ever I wanted while trying to stay within my points. I'm currently on my forth week with SB, I lost 3 pounds the first week and then my weight had been bouncing back up and down those same three pounds, I haven't been on the scales in more than a week now. I'm sure hoping to see a loss when I weigh myself on Friday.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

After I had my second child in 1984, I did nutrisystem for a while till I lost the weight. But the food was tasteless and I hated it. I lost all the baby weight and didn't gain as much with child #3. The weight started piling on again when I was in my mid 40's. I've lost about 50lbs since April and am now maintaining it, but would like to lose maybe 10 more.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/211/165

Height: 5'5"

I lost 30 pounds on LA weightloss last year.Slowly returned to bad eating and gained back 15. Decided to return to the beach. I had done SB about 4 years ago and did well. So here I am. I found 3FC a few years back and always use it when I am on my new diets.
hereicome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/238/150

I did WW for about 3 months last spring, and I lost 16 pounds. I'm no good at counting when it comes to food. I know food diaries are recommended by alot of people, but they just don't work for me - to me they're just one more chore I have during the day, and pretty soon I start slacking off the recording which leads to slacking off on the diet as a whole. Once that happened with WW I never could bring myself to start back over with everything, and before long I had regained 12 of those pounds.

That's one thing that's so great about SBD for me - no counting! So long as I'm eating allowed foods, I don't have to worry about it. There are a few things like nuts and sweets calories, but I'm really not too rigid on those - some days I have more and some less - it all evens out.

I still think WW is a wonderful organization, but different strokes and all that, right?
zookeepera949906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #11  

I tried Atkins when I was younger and went from 150 to about 125 in a couple of months. After a health issue I gained the weight I am now. I have tried Atkins again, it worked pretty good. I tried the Abs diet, but had to quit because of ill side effects (don't ask ). Weight Watchers worked pretty good but too much to keep up with. And I have done South Beach twice. This being the second time. I lost the most weight with Atkins, hands down. But I simply cannot stand that strict of a diet. I prefer thinking I am eating healthy, and I am trying to deal with the fact that healthy weight loss may be slow.
TechieGrrl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 222.8/213.8/145

Height: 5'1

I lost about 40 pounds on Weight Watchers a couple of years ago but didn't like the counting points things I stopped and gained it all back plus more. I also tried Atkins and lost 10 pounds in a month but couldn't stick to the strictness. For about the last 8 months I was doing Suzanne Somers diet which I really did like, but the weight loss slowed after about 30 pounds. So far I just started Ph 2 this week and the scale hasn't budged, but I'm going to stick with it for a while and see what happens!
zoerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:02 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 268/258/165

Height: 5' 8"

I did South Beach before, and lost 25 pounds, and then a couple years later I did NutriSystem, which does work awesome, but it's too expensive for me. So now I'm back to South Beach with 10 pounds down!!
Phoebe7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 182/177/160

Height: 5'10''

I have done many of the diets that have been mentioned and have been fairly successful. I have never had more than 30 lbs to loose. (Thank the Lord!!) So, I can't make any claims about being a great dieter. (I give so much credit to those who have more to loose. You are my heros!!) This is my second time doing SB and I would have to say that my weight loss is slowest with this method... I would probably have gone back to WW and done flex, but my DH needed to join me this time. He does very well, as most men do, on SB. I am trying to be much more vigilant this time about counting the cals. I feel much healthier on SB. I just wish I could see more for my efforts.
Sue
ADAGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I've semi tried some other diets, at least starting reading some other diet books but I came back to the South Beach diet because it works and I'm in business - I want results! I was trying the Best Life Now and bought the journal but then I turned the journal into just notes about nutrition and various other diets. I think the ideas are good, but still I think low carbing it is the way to really lose weight, especially if you have it around the stomach like I do. Last time I did the South Beach I lost a lot of weight, with exercise, it worked for me. But stupid me didn't keep up on it, went back not only to carbs but pizza, beer and pigging out at restaurants... So now I'm going to keep the South beach dining guide with me when I travel for business even when I'm not in diet mode, after I lose another 10-12 lbs. I think they key is learning what's healthy and isn't, and I think the South Beach diet is a great plan for teaching the principles of nutrition, however having tried phase 1 again this last week, I'm not sure that it isn't a little extreme, I should have done it when I wasn't so busy as my energy dropped and today I had to have oatmeal, and last night some crackers. I feel better today. The author says in his new South Beach heart book that you can skip phase I if you have only about 10 lbs to lose, so I'm going to stick with phase one but through in just a bit of wheat and fruit here and there the next week and a half.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote