South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #1  

Default Pasta Question

Which is more SBD P2 friendly - Dreamfield pasta or whole wheat pasta? (In extreme moderation)
Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

, Mellie!

IMHO, the WW (Whole Wheat) pasta is the best choice. There's no need to eat it in extreme moderation--you'll figure out your Phase 2 "combo" that works for you--allowing you to lose weight without cravings, but WW pasta can be an everyday food for most of us (some people find they can't handle starches at all, but that's rare).

However, even though Dreamfields is low carb, it doesn't seem to fit in well with SBD, since the first ingredient is enriched semolina flour. Perhaps someone thinks differently? I found nutritional information on Dreamfields pasta here. On SBD, we use whole grain flours, so in pasta you're looking for WW or Durum Semolina (which is whole grain semolina and comes in many names, usually including the words "durum" or "hard").
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #3  

Thank you thank you. That's exactly the information I needed.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Whoops! That was me who thought Dreamfields Pasta was ok for SBD! I'm pretty sure Kayln, of Kayln's Kitchen, recommended it, and I used it occasionally. I should have read the label first!
I rarely eat pasta these days, but if I do have it, I've been using the Ezekiel brand pastas. They're made from sprouted grains and are delish!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Cottage--I don't think that is necessarily a problem, hon! Each of our bodies work differently and what might work for one might not work for another. Even though the pasta is made with enriched flour, it is low carb, so the glycemic index is probably lower than other enriched flour products, right? It's a hard one--but I don't think you should beat yourself up for it! I've found two things I ate occasionally were both NOT SBD-friendly! One changed their ingredients and the other was named "whole wheat" so I figured I was safe, only to find it was made with enriched flour! Oy! That's so frustrating! Obviously it didn't cause any ill-effects or I'd have known it wasn't safe...so you never know.

I LOVE the Ezekiel products, as you well know! I don't think I've had the pasta, though...wonder if it's at our Wegman's?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

Holy cow someone actually mentioned a grocery store I know! I can't live farther than 5 minutes from a Wegmans

So I'm getting that whole wheat pasta isn't necessarily safe? I'll be the annoying lady in the aisle reading all the labels!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Just make sure you park your cart to the side and don't leave it in the middle of the aisle when you read the labels!

I, too, love Wegman's. Can't wait to get my fix in a couple weeks!!!

Kara
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Have you ever tried Spaghetti Squash? It's a vegetable that you cook and it shreds up like spaghetti strands. It has a mild flavor and nice al dente texture (if cooked correctly), so it's a wonderful spaghetti substitute. I would highly, highly recommend at least trying it once if you love pasta. It's Phase 1 friendly as well. A serving of spaghetti squash has 5 carbs, while most pasta brands have 40-50 carbs in a serving. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/256/180

Thanks for the information Ladies. Has anyone tried the whole wheat pancake & waffle mix by Aunt Jeminma. It claims to have no preservatives & no artificial coloring, 15g of whole grain per serving. These are the ingredients: whole wheatf flour,enriched bleached flour(bleached wheat flour,niacin,reduced iron,thiamin,mononitrate,riboflavin,folic acid),leaving(sodium bicarbonate,sodium aluminum phosphate,monocalcium phosphate),brown sugar,sugar,dried molasses,salt,wheat germ,hydroxylated soy lecithin,soy flour. As packaged, one serving(1/4 cupmix(approx 3 -4" pancakes) contains 41% whole wheat. The serving size has 200 calories, 0.05 fa/no cholesterol/628 soduim/140mg potassium/26 carbs(3g of dietary fiber & 4g sugar) 4g of protein. So ladies, what do you think. I'm on phrase 2 and they tasted pretty good w. sugar free/glutein free/maple syrup.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #10  

milkduds - The problem I see with the pancake mix is that it has enriched flour, brown sugar and molasses. I would not eat them on South Beach. I make my own pancakes using whole wheat flour, Splenda, skim milk, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, I think. Very easy to make and very good! I don't make them often because I prefer oatmeal but my son loves them for a treat.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 260/256/180

Oh my goodness, I thought I was doing well. I will buy some ww flour today. I know they tasted to good. My husband & I have started on phrase 2 and we are tired of eggs & bacon only. I experimented with french toast(whole wheat bread,eggs,cinammon,& splenda) and he seemed to like them. Are there some different breads we can experiment with? Whole wheat taste like cardboard(like i know what cardboard tast like
Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #12  
Visualizing the Goal

Look around for different brands of whole wheat bread. Some are better than others. We especially like ones that are multi-grain and have seeds and nuts in them. I imagine they'd be especially tasty for French toast!

Kara
Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb0522 View Post
milkduds - The problem I see with the pancake mix is that it has enriched flour, brown sugar and molasses. I would not eat them on South Beach. I make my own pancakes using whole wheat flour, Splenda, skim milk, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, I think. Very easy to make and very good! I don't make them often because I prefer oatmeal but my son loves them for a treat.

Barb - Could you tell me the measurements for those? I'd love to make them this weekend! Also, do you use SF syrup?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #14  
Visualizing the Goal

Just check any pancake recipe (I love allrecipes.com as a source for different recipes!) and substitute whole wheat flour (or oat flour, my favorite ) for the white flour and whatever sweetener you use for the sugar. I love the buttermilk pancakes recipe on the back of the powdered buttermilk I get. I make them with half whole wheat flour and half white for Tom and the kids and Tom hasn't yet noticed! I also substitute apple sauce (natural, of course) for the butter. I'd love them, myself, but pancakes are a huge binge food for me. I can eat a whole batch, so I've resolved to just abstain from them altogether.

Hope that helps!

Kara
Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/188/140

Height: 5 ft 6 1/2 in

Perfect timimg! I'll be pasta shopping this weekend and I think I've seen the Ezekiel brand at one of the 3 stores I rotate through.
Kara- I had thought about experimenting with whole wheat pancakes and you just gacve me the courage to try it!
Closed Thread