Super Bowl SBD Food!!!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Okay, football fans!!! What should I serve on Super Bowl Sunday???? We'll have a total of 8 people here. Most of us are dieting. I'm thinking a large pan of taco bake for starters!!! I would LOVE some other ideas for nibbles, sides, and 'desserts'...

We are in P2.

HELP!!!
  • 7 Layer Dip is easy to make, a pleaser, and could be adapted for South Beach. Serve it with whole wheat pita chips. Good luck.
  • veggies with LF dips and hummus, pizzas made on whole wheat crust or on whole wheat pita bread. Nuts are always a good football snack (and I think there are some recipes for making sweet ones). Plate of WW crackers, LF cheddar, and deli meat. Fruit dipped in dark chocolate. Deviled eggs. Lean hamburgers on a WW bun (cut into snack size portions or as a typical football watching meal). Chili is always a crowd pleaser!

I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's in your area, but if so, they sell these absolutely amazing soy flaxseed chips that I swear are better than normal tortilla chips and go great with dips and salsa. They also have this yummy torta with sundried tomato, pesto, and cream cheese (actually, you can probably find a recipe for one of these). It goes great with some WW crackers of WW pita. A little higher on the fat side, but it's the Super Bowl, and if you make your own, you can ensure it has LF cream cheese.

I'll keep thinking on this, but I'm sure others will chime in with some excellent suggestions!
  • Lots of excellent ideas, girls! That taco bake is always a winner at events, and you can "play" with it to adapt the recipe to suit your tastebuds. It's great served with veggies for dipping and/or toasted ww pita wedges.

CarCar, aren't those soy/flaxseed chips from Trader Joe's to-die-for! I love them, BUT, I don't think they're allowed on SBD. I think I remember reading something on the ingredients label that we aren't allowed to have, but I can't remember what it was.
  • Oh, definitely taco bake with thickly sliced green, red, orange, and yellow peppers for dipping. Are any of the teams those colors? I'm so out of the whole sports thing. All we get here are international soccer matches, two full channels devoted to golf 24-7, and all the mixed martial arts fighting anyone could stomach in a lifetime!

How about cheeses? Just cubes of cheese?

I also second the chili idea - filling and can be totally healthy!

I go into huge downward spirals when wheat is involved, so I'd stick to veggie and fruit trays myself.

Kara
  • i made lasgana and used SBD ingredients last year
    cheese and veggie tray with various dips including hummus
    fruit salad for dessert

as for the trader joes veggie flax chips.. not really beachy but i love them

and trader joes makes a guac/salsa mix (Guac =EMC2 ) or something like that.... so so good.

for a dip salsa and greek yogurt is great...

and chili is always a winner....
  • What is this Greek yogurt ( I mistyped and wrote "green yogurt" originally!) I've been hearing so much about? We don't get it here, but in fifteen days when we get back to the States I'm dying to find some!

Kara
  • greek yogurt is thicker and creamier and less tangy) it's almost like sour cream and it's more expensive too. I get mine at trader joes....
  • Of course it's more expensive. (Where's the eye-roll smiley?) The best food always is!

Kara
  • WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, we dont have a Trader Joes.

Whats your favorite WW cracker???
  • I can get the Greek yogurt at my grocery store also (Giant Food) - they recently started carrying it. Of course it is more expensive there than at TJ's, but I am so addicted I don't care.
  • Wow, thanks, CarCar, for giving me a serious hankering for a trip to Trader Joes (which would prolly be a state or two away...ugh!!!) and all those ideas are great! I'm starting to think about chilli too, I have a great recipe that is SBD friendly, and I'm going to have to have pizza for the teens, although I'm willing to bet 3 of the 4 will eat the taco bake and/or chilli just fine.

I'm compiling a list of all these yummy things that Trader Joes sells and when my uncle comes here from North Carolina I'm making him buy them for me, because he recently started working there after his 2nd retirement!!! Another thing I would kill for is the artichoke salsa from Harry & David, which is sublime on top of baked fish, or on top of my morning omelet!!

The veggie plate is a definite yes, and I found a great new red pepper hummus at Sam's club. Keep posting ideas!!
  • 1. Shrimp cocktail - for a low carb cocktail sauce you can combine 1 cup reduced sugar ketchup (Heinz made with Splenda) with 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, couple dashes hot sauce. Yum!

2. pita pizza - these can be cut up into bite size pieces and you can make a wide variety.

3. Buffalo chicken bites - bite size pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast (or tenders) baked with a hot sauce mixture of transfat free margarine and hot sauce (like Frank's Hot sauce) and served with celery sticks and a blue cheese dipping sauce.

4. Chili

5. fat free or low fat hot dogs served on whole grain/ wheat buns can be topped with chili or SBD friendly cole slaw

6. SBD friendly cheeseburger or even more fun are "slammers" which are just mini burgers that you can put on whole grain/ wheat rolls. Cute, cooks fast, and finger sized.

7. Tray of pickles, olives, cheeses, vegetables.

8. Pita chips with different dips like salsa, Velveeta Light mixed with Rotel, hummus (yum!), and guacamole.

9. Deviled eggs

10. stuffed mushroom caps - lowfat turkey sausage, ww bread crumbs, or whatever you prefer

For desserts:

1. chocolate dipped strawberries

2. SBD friendly meringue cookies (vanilla, chocolate, etc.)

3. peanut butter and jelly cookies (out of the 30 minute SBD cookbook)

4. Ranger cookies (SBD Parties & Holidays Cookbook)

5. White Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Raspberries (I snagged this from online but didn't put the link in because it might be removed).

South Beach Diet Phase 2, Phase 3
    Prep Time: 15 min
    Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
    Makes: 6 servings, 1/2 cup each

INGREDIENTS
    2 cups cold fat-free milk
    1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O White Chocolate Flavor Fat Free Sugar Free Instant Reduced Calorie Pudding & Pie Filling
    1/2 cup thawed COOL WHIP FREE Whipped Topping
    1 cup fresh raspberries

South Beach Diet - DIRECTIONS
    Add milk to dry pudding mix in medium bowl. Beat with wire whisk 2 min. or until well blended.

Add the whipped topping and raspberries; stir gently until well blended.

Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

South Beach Diet Nutrition (per serving)
    Calories 70
    Total fat 0.5 g
    Saturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Sodium 250 mg
    Carbohydrate 13 g
    Dietary fiber 1 g
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 3 g
    Vitamin A 4 %DV
    Vitamin C 8 %DV
    Calcium 8 %DV
    Iron 4 %DV

Let me know if you would like any of the recipes from the cookbooks and I can email you.

Good luck and have fun!
  • When we moved from Maryland to Texas back in '04, I went on-line to find out where the closest Trader Joe's was and it was in Minnesota or something ridiculous like that. I actually bought an entire case of Joe's O's and several cases of fruit leathers for my son before we left the east coast because he had many, many food allergies and Joe's O's were literally the only cold cereal he could eat and fruit leathers were the only packaged food he could eat. I always kept them in my purse for "emergencies". I don't think there are any in Germany, either, and there certainly aren't any here. I'll have to stock up when we're home!

Kara
  • OHHH! Here is a good one if you like chicken wings...

Buffalo Chicken Salad
    2 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped
    1/2 cup shredded carrots, available in pouches (can be omitted for SB)
    2 ribs celery with greens, chopped
    1/2 cup ranch dressing (SBD friendly of course)
    1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
    1 package, 3/4 to 1 pound, boneless, skinless chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
    2 tablespoons butter substitute (Heart Smart, etc.)
    Salt and black pepper
    1/4 cup hot sauce (Frank's is great - Tabasco is too hot for this recipe)

Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Combine lettuce, carrots and celery in a salad bowl. Combine ranch dressing and blue cheese crumbles in a small bowl.
    Add oil and butter to hot pan with the chicken. Season with salt and pepper and sear for 2 or 3 minutes, then add hot sauce. Reduce heat a little and cook 5 minutes more.
    Toss salad with dressing and season with salt and pepper. Top salad with Buffalo chicken and serve.

I have made this several times and I love it! My husband likes to top it with some Parmesan cheese. Here is a link to a couple of pictures from when we made it last.