Cheese and broccoli soup

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Does any one have a reciepe for cheese and broccoli soup?
  • Here's one in the from the recipes: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51890

Here's another I use too:

Cream of Broccoli Chicken Soup
    1 T Olive Oil
    1 onion, chopped
    8 oz neufchatel cream cheese
    1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
    3 cups broccoli, chopped
    1 cup low fat cheddar cheese, grated
    1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
    2/3 cup fat free half and half

In large saucepan, heat oil and add onions. Cook until translucent. Add broth and heat until boiling, stirring. Add chicken and broccoli; cook until broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Add cheeses and half and half. Reduce heat and cook another minute, stirring, to melt and incorporate cheese.

4 servings
  • Thanks for that recipe, Schmoodle! I'm going to try it out this weekend. I'm not really crazy about some of the other recipes for Cream of Broccoli, they haven't had the flavor I'm looking for, but this sounds great!
  • Ohhh that sounds good.. Is that for Phase 1 or 2?
  • Phoebe. I make it in Phase 1 but use a lowfat cream cheese. Although, the one Schmoodle mentioned may be low fat I just don't know and don't want to give you bad info.
  • Cool!! Thanks for the welcome =)
  • The neufchatel cream cheese is the same as lowfat cream cheese. It has 1/3 less calories than the regular kind. I know it's not available in some areas, so any lowfat cream cheese would do.
  • I also think you should be able to do this with evaporated skim milk and/or Laughing Cow Lite Cheese, but I haven't experimented with it yet.
  • I use the broccoli and cheese soup recipe that is sticky-ed in Phase II Soups and Stews--it is awesome. Mmmmm.
  • That's the one I use too, Jessie http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42365

I love that recipe. Sometimes I add mushrooms too it and sometimes I top it with a little broccoli at the end that hasn't been run through the hand blender.
  • Wow, Velveeta's okay for us? And all that flour? Does the WW flour work in a roux for thickening like white flour? I would think adding the flour without cooking it a bit first would give it a raw flour-y taste. Do tell! I think it's time to open the lab and spend a day experimenting with broccoli cheese soups. I usually end up combining what I like from several different recipes!
  • I'm surprised you can use white flour in the recipe. I would be tempted not to add it and just have a bit thinner broth.
  • I've never looked for fat free half and half. Is it sugar free? Should I be using this in coffee (I olny have a cup or two in am) instead of sugar free dry creamer which had fat? or maybe buy the dry skim milk and use it for baking oatmeal bars.
    broccoli soup sounds good tonite, too.
  • Schmoodle, I have a pot of your soup simmering on the stovetop right now. I'll let you know how I like it. I'm going to use evaporated skim milk instead of the ff 1/2 & 1/2 though. I'm sure it will have the same result.

SAnativegirl, WELCOME! I don't have any of the 1/2 & 1/2 on hand right now, but I'm sure it has sugar, however, the sugars come from the lactose in the milk, so it's okay. That powdered creamer that you use most likely has transfats and high-fructose corn syrup in it. Check the label. If it does, you shouldn't have it on this diet.

When I've made that Phase 2 broccoli soup, I always used ww flour rather than the white flour. I didn't care for that recipe, though, because it tasted "sweet" to me. I think it was probably the lowfat Velveeta. Yuck.
  • cottage, I'm jealous, it's very yummy. I'm sure when I've made it before I used the evap milk, because I rarely have the half and half on hand, and I use that milk a lot.