South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/156/140

Height: 5'4"

Default New Delicious Appetizers - Phase 2

Hi Chickies,

I am going to my quarterly scrapbooking weekend with some girlfriends, and we normally consume the following: Outback cheese fries (my adaptation), the large bag of peanut M&M's, muffins, and tons of chips & dips.

Now, I am on South Beach, and I would really like to stick to it. I will be finishing Phase I this week, so I thought I would hop on Phase 2 so that I could have a fighting chance to stay on my diet! I have lost 5.5 pounds, and I am motivated to keep going, but I have to have something delicious.

I am surfing the internet and this message board for great Phase 2 appetizers. I love anything Tex-Mex, and I can't eat celery sticks, bell peppers, or anything with ricotta cheese.

What appetizers do you recommend? I would appreciate any recommendations/recipes!

Thanks,
Ange
38withfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Ange, I regularly go to scrapbooking things where there's a groaning snack table. I feel your pain!

Here are some of the things you could try:
  • My SIL has this super-easy recipe for a great dip. You could modify it for SBD and serve it with WW pita chips or WW homemade tortilla chips. You take a can of chili (look for a vegetarian one...NOT Hormel or anything with wheat and sugar) and spread it on the bottom of a medium-sized glass or ceramic baking dish. Spread one package of cream cheese (use 1/3 less fat) on top. Then top with shredded cheddar cheese (use reduced fat). Bake in 350* oven until cheese is hot and bubbly (personally, I just microwave it to save time...but I'm impatient! ).
  • Bring assorted veggies and WW pita chips and a selection of hummus
  • Pistachio nuts
  • Sunflower seeds in the shell (takes longer to eat!)
  • Fruit salad
  • Cut up apples and serve with homemade low-fat cream cheese dip (I found one online that blended defrosted frozen raspberries--with no juice or sugar-- with cream cheese and cottage cheese, Splenda, and a bit of ginger. It was yummy!!)
  • Cut up pears and laughing cow cheese (divine... )
  • Mess around with the Taco Bake recipe to make it more like a seven-layer dip. Serve with veggies and/or crackers or pita chips
  • Make a low-fat version of spinach artichoke dip and serve with veggies.

Hope this helps! Have a great time...one of the best things about scrapping is that your hands are busy so you can't eat as much!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/156/140

Default thanks!

Thanks for all the great ideas. I wasn't expecting all the fruit ideas. I guess I do get to add that back to my diet!

I was thinking about making Sugar free chocolate pudding with a layer of ss/ff cool whip on top. Maybe that would be a good treat.

I am also try the toasted pita chips as well.

Thanks again!
ange
38withfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

There is a Rachel Ray recipe I posted in the recipes section called "antipachos", which is made with WW pitas. I make that for parties fairly often and people just gobble it up and never think that it might be healthy.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #5  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Jars of bruschetta (like eggplant and artichoke) are easy to transport...along with laughing cow cheese and LF trisquits.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote