South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Default What are you reading in 2008?

It's a new year, so I guess that means it's time to retire the old thread [For book recommendations, our lists of favorite books from 2007, and more, click on the "old thread" link]. It was getting pretty long!

I started reading Deadline by Randy Alcorn earlier this week, but I just could not get into it. I've decided to start on Scent to Her Grave by India Ink. It is a little shorter and seems to be more up my alley. I think almost every book deserves a fair shot, so I'll come back to Deadline when I finish the other three I've got stacked up. Next will be The Birth of Venus followed by The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Real. All the books I'm working on right now were suggestions from JessieW. Wonder how she's doing...anyone know?

So, what's the first book you'll be reading this year?

~Kim

Last edited by beachgal; 01-28-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I'm in the middle of Skeleton Coast by Clive Cussler with Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver waiting for me to finish with the ocean salvage, secret operative adventure.

This year I want to get in some of the classics that I haven't yet met, but I'll have to dig through that 2007 thread to find the list that someone mentioned. With all we have going on in the next couple months, I probably won't start on that project until the summer anyhow.

Kara
Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm currently reading Peony In Love, by Lisa See. She's the same author who wrote Snowflower and the Secret Fan, which I loved. This book isn't as good, the story is a little strange, but it's interesting.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I loved Snow Flower! I am trying to read Lamb by Chris Moore. It's funny, but I haven't had much time to read over the holidays. Kingsolver's has been on my list for a while now. Let me know how you like it, Kara, when you get to it.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Books! I love books!

My "books to read" bookcase is overflowing, so I shouldn't complain about being snowed in. Right now I'm in the middle of Winter World with Peter Dunne's Essential Field Guide Companion waiting patiently underneath (or as patiently as a large, heavy book can wait). I got Chasing Ghosts and Letters to a Young Teacher for Christmas so they're on the list too. I think I need to add some fiction though, or my brain will explode Suggestions? I also have quite a few audio books backed up. Think I'll go see what's fun in there! I also have an Alice Hoffman book and a Chris Bohjalian book in my order when in paperback queue at Amazon, so those will be fun.

Kara- I loved Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I found it a transformative book. I gave several copies as gifts this year. Let us know what you think.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

I am currently reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (a Christmas present). The sequel is out, so I need to read this first. It is LONG, but I like it.

I got 4 other books for Christmas as well - cant wait to get into all of them! Sadly, break is over today and that will cut down on reading time, still I'll find a way because I "heart" reading (quote from a friend who dreads the very idea of books!).

Last edited by amasam; 01-02-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I just heard that there is a sequel to POTE. I LOVE that book, hope the sequel is as good! Currently I'm reading A Proper Marriage by Doris Lessing, and Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #8  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

I read two ARCs over "Christmas break": You Had Me at Good-Bye by Tracey Bateman and Carpool Diem by Nancy Star. They come out in February and March respectively. The Bateman was slow to start but I was interested by the end. I would not advise anyone to touch Carpool Diem with a ten-foot pole. I found it awful!

I am almost finished with Swapping Lives by Jane Green. I really enjoy her books as a light read and this one is no exception!

I am trying to make it through a ton of books I have to review. (All 3 above!) This year I am resolved to get fewer books through paperbackswap and read more of the ones I have!! I probably have 200 books at home waiting to be read.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #9  

Hey Jessie, what did you think of Deadline? DH and I were talking about it last night and were wondering if it was worth the time it would take to read it, or if it just wasn't my type of read. I told DH that I thought it would be a great book for him to try out.

I started Scent to Her Grave last night and got through chapter 5 and am really liking it, although I believe I know what happened and the situation under which it occurred. It is a mystery though, so I may be surprised. It seems like a great story, so I'm not even a little bit tempted to flip to the back and see if I'm right!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #10  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Kim, the Randy Alcorn book I read was Deception. It was not my cup of tea and I felt like nothing happened for the first 250 pages. It got better, but it was still REALLY long. I have a coworker, however, who adored it (male).

The India Ink was also not my favorite! I hope I haven't steered you badly. I read a lot of books just because the letter worked in the list or to review (like the Alcorn).

Last edited by JessieW; 01-02-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #11  

Oh, don't worry about it - I'm trying to read new authors (I've been stuck on the same ones for years) and the only way to do it is by reading, right? I'm actually enjoying the India Ink book. It's not the most intelligent book I've ever read, but it is fun! I really like the spa recipes and am actually planning on trying the first one for some friends of mine who have trouble sleeping.

I think I looked for Deception, but it wasn't available, so I got Deadline instead. I still think DH will enjoy it, and I think he might try it out after he finishes the Dean Koontz he's working on.

Thanks again, Jessie!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6

So maybe not as exciting as some of what you ladies are reading but I just bought 2 books on triathlon training for women and how to get started.
the one I brought to work today is tittled Triathlons for Women. I am really excited to get into training and this looks like a great resource!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #13  
Woo! 1/2way there!

S/C/G: 186/156/135 (in P1...again)

I just finished Into the Forest, Jean Hegland (couldn't put it down, i think i finished it in one day/night!)

And i'm approaching the end of The Crimson Petal and the White, Michel Faber (taking me a while to get through, its billed as "the first great 19th-century novel of the 21st century" but its pretty thick with Victorian themes, although sprinkled throughout with naughty bits from the main character, Sugar, a very special prostitute.)
Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #14  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I am beginning the year Mary, Mary by James Patterson. Next in the pile is Bad Dogs Have More Fun by John Grogan. I am trying to work my way through the books I have at home that have yet to be read before I bring more home.
I enjoy adventures, mystery, murder-mystery and humor. I especially enjoy an adventure with humor.
Favorite authors: Janet Evanovich, James Patterson, Dan Brown, Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy and Robin Cook.
Anyone out there who has read Evanovich and who can recommend other authors who write with similar humor mixed with adventure?
I am always looking to find new Authors/books.
Karla
Old 01-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

Skinny I luuuuuuuuuuv Evanovich! You probably missed that I bought 21 of her books for my daughter for Christmas (and wrapped them all individually). She has alot of reading to do! I don't really have any suggestions on authors like her though sorry. I am a big fan of Sue Grafton and Patricia Cornwell but they lack the humor of course.

As for what I am currently reading, I am working on the Mitford Series by Jan Karon.
Closed Thread