South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #76  

S/C/G: [url=http://www.TickerFactory.

im reading for 2008 my mom wrote and published her first novel dance by the light of the moon by arlene rose
Old 02-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #77  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Blondy, that's phenomenal! Go, Arlene!

Jessie and Kim, I totally think a special area for reading/praying/studying scripture is a fantastic idea! I was watching Oprah the other day and they showed a house that Nate redid for a couple that took in their four nieces and nephews. On the landing of the second floor (which is open to the 2 story foyer), Nate placed a fainting couch, a little endtable and a couple of candles. He said it was a special place for the wife to read, and that he made sure she could still hear the kids, just in case. I nearly fell on the floor from desire when I saw that...it looked soooooo yummy. I would love to have my own reading area and the time to use it. Glad the chair is working out, Kim! I hope you've read about this already, Kim, so I'm not spoiling, but your discussion makes me think of Marie's rule about her bedroom--how her husband and kids know never to disturb her when she's in there. I think we all need a special place to retreat to and find our center again! There's a tiny bit of space along the wall on my side of the bed. I stocked it with spiritual books, prayer books, my Bible, and my devotionals. I hung a little string of temple bells on the window and put a yummy-smelling candle on the register (which is turned off in the basement). I sit with my back to the bed and spend time there. I guess it's not the most decorative of places, but it's cozy and I really love it.

I hear you, Kim, on the cussing. I'm not one to use that kind of language and usually associate it with people being violent and angry...but after I got used to it, it became part of the character (isn't it Katherine who cusses?) and kind of made me laugh. But it's not my thing, either. Glad you can see past it.

I'm working on Pride & Prejudice. I've read it many times before but we're reading it for the next book club. I treated myself to an annotated version of it from Amazon and even though it's totally fascinating, I'm making the slowest progress! There are footnotes for nearly every sentence...yikes! I'm most fascinated by the use of variant spellings for words...like "chuse" for "choose" and "teazing" for "teasing." Maybe the latter is a British-English spelling? I know our z/s thing is different depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on...

Jessie, I hear you! It's nice to know someone else feels like I do about books! I actually have a friend here who feels the same way about Binchy. Guess it's a fascination with which we all get infected! I followed your wise lead and put down the Small Stuff. Thanks!

Thanks for explaining, Schmoodle! That sounds like a fantastic book! I used to like books that involved kids dealing with a major illness/disability, etc. My mom thought I was morose (guess I'd be considered "emo" today! ) and didn't want me reading books like that, but I just loved them! Did anyone ever read the book Mandy by Julie Edwards (it's actually Julie Andrews...this is her married name)? It's FANTASTIC!!!! I also loved The Little Princess, The Secret Garden, and a novel whose title I can remember that was about a teen who lost her sight after getting sick over the summer. Island of the Blue Dolphins was a huge favorite too, Schmoodle! I actually lived about an hour south of the islands where she lived (it's a true story...but you probably know that?). We read it when I was teaching 4th grade and then took a field trip to the Mission of Santa Barbara. That's where she was taken after she was rescued from the island. She's buried there and they have some of her things on display in the museum section. It just thrilled me to actually be where Karana had been.

Speaking of favorite kid books...did anyone else love From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and Phantom Tollbooth?

Last edited by beachgal; 02-13-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
I hope you've read about this already, Kim, so I'm not spoiling, but your discussion makes me think of Marie's rule about her bedroom--how her husband and kids know never to disturb her when she's in there. I think we all need a special place to retreat to and find our center again! There's a tiny bit of space along the wall on my side of the bed. I stocked it with spiritual books, prayer books, my Bible, and my devotionals. I hung a little string of temple bells on the window and put a yummy-smelling candle on the register (which is turned off in the basement). I sit with my back to the bed and spend time there. I guess it's not the most decorative of places, but it's cozy and I really love it.
You're right, Laurie I just read that part this weekend while I was in my chair and didn't make the association! That's really cool. DH and I have our devotionals on the "don't sit on it" sofa. The one that is too nice for regular use. It's great because the sofa is always clean and the dogs are never allowed on it to distract us. Your special place sounds wonderful!!

Rebecca is the one who says the "s" word all the time and Katherine is the big cusser, but they all have done it at some point or another. I'm getting better at skimming over them without noticing now. It is definitely a wonderful book so far. Right now they're on the plane leaving NM. I'm going to try to finish it by Friday.

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 02-13-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Boo-hoo, I am bookless until the bookmobile comes (next Tuesday) or I find something when I rifle through my mom's bookshelves Friday night. I got the KIngsolver's from her and had my eye on some others but didn't want to be greedy. Now I can't remember what!
Even with the kids, we finished House of Sixty Fathers, and I've got nothing waiting...
Laurie, Phantom Tollbooth is another of my all-time faves from childhood. I recently read it to my kids. As you can tell, I use them as an excuse to re-read my favorites! They don't seem to mind.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #80  
I can do this!

Kim, I'm so glad you made the connection, too--your sofa sounds fabulous!!! I love that you and your husband do devotionals together! Do you do them at the same time? I'd love to do that with DH, but I usually do mine before bed and he goes to bed much earlier than I do. I'd love your recommendations for good devotionals!

Schmoodle, I think that's great (rereading your favorites to the kids)! Your enthusiasm for them has to be "catching!" Have you ever read The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease? It's awesome, but at least half of it is a huge compilation of great read-aloud books for all ages, including older kids. You might get some other ideas from it. The last edition just came out early last year, so it's pretty up-to-date. I hear you on the pain of not having something to read. Have you joined any of the online paperback switching sites? I'm amazed at how much I've read and shared since I joined PaperbackSwap.com last year--thanks so much to those who recommended it on here! I just got a thick compilation of C.S. Lewis' greatest nonfiction hits.

Our local library recently had a brainstorming session for the community to help come up with ways the library can meet their needs more effectively. One of the suggestions was the possibility of book deliveries (like pizza). Wouldn't that be DIVINE???

I'm a third of the way into my annotated edition of Pride & Prejudice. It's fascinating and making the novel so much more rich for me! There's so much there I didn't catch in my 3 other readings in the past. However, it's super-slow-going...I have to finish by our March 3rd book club...so I better start reading faster!!!

Hope everyone's got their nose in a good book--come tell us about it! I have a feeling Jessie's going to have a particular theme in her reading for a while...
Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #81  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Hi darlings. I don't know when I missed so many posts to this thread! I was looking this morning thinking it was lost somewhere.

I finished a cozy mystery the other day, Better Read than Dead by Victoria Laurie. I can't decided whether I love this series or not, but I liked it enough to pick up the second book. The series is about a psychic who helps police solve mysteries some.

Last night I dug out my Goodwill copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting. I am excited I will actually be HOME tonight to read some and relax. Hallelujah!! The last few days I've been running on adrenaline but I'm starting to be way sleepy again.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 182/177/160

Height: 5'10''

I just finished Stephen Kings Cell. I like to throw one of his books in every once in a while to shake things up! I really enjoyed this book. It is a sort of "end of the world" story that takes shape after an unknown source sends a pulse out through every cell phone. The pulse immediately causes everyone to go completely mad! The books follows the survival of those who were fortunate enough not to have used a cell phone.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I finally finished Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral. I don't know if it's ever taken me that long to read a book! Anyhow, I absolutely loved the whole thing. I stayed up WAY too late reading it last night because I just had to finish it. I will be suggesting this book to all of my friends.

One book down in the pile, I'm not sure what's up next, but I'll take a look and let you all know later.

Laurie: DH and I did Prayer of Jabez, Holiness in Hidden Places and My Utmost for His Highest. (I think those are the titles, but I'll have to double check). Right now we're in the middle of Financial Peace University, so are focusing on that by going over the verses and etc. in the workbook. We only have time right now to meet once a week for it, but it's a wonderful thing.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #84  

Okay...I'm new to the South Beach boards, but I saw this thread and had to read it. Then I had to respond...

I love anything by John Irving - A Prayer for Owen Meany is my favorite, though I've read them all. They didn't do it any favors in the movie, imho - but that's always the way.

I also love Margaret Atwood, although I could *not* get through Oryx and Crake.

I have a book (that I left at school today) to start reading A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton.

I teach fourth grade and right now I'm rereading A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engle. I'm going to do a literature circle with it for some of my students.

Anyway, I love this thread!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #85  
I can do this!

Magnolia Kim (we have another Kim, who will have to be "Kim Star" from now on... )! Glad to have you with us! I absolutely loved A Prayer for Owen Meany, though I agree about the movie. I've rarely been satisfied by a movie version of a book, though I was hugely surprised by the movies for Tipping the Velvet and Fingersmith (both by Sarah Waters)! They were done by the BBC, though... I haven't read any other John Irving...have any suggestions?

I love Margaret Atwood, too! I know it's cliche, but I just adored The Handmaid's Tale. It still affects my thinking, even over 15 years later. I can still see some of the images that formed in my mind as I read it. She's amazing! I've also read The Robber Bride and the Blind Assasin, but I know I haven't even hit the tip of the iceberg! What are some of your favorites? Do you also like her poetry? If you see her around, you should ask Ellis for tips on good Canadian literature. She adores reading Canadians (well, she is one, too...)

You know, I think I've heard of Map of the World... You'll have to tell us what you think!

Oh, I just loved A Wrinkle in Time!!! L'Engle is phenomenal! That book is another that left pictures in my mind permanently! Fourth is a very hard grade to teach--kudos to you for doing it!

Jessie, you are just darling! I love that you're digging into your baby books--and your new ticker is wonderful! You'll have to tell me what you think of What to Expect. I found it so difficult to follow (things are laid out in totally erratic patterns, or so it seemed ot me) that I had to put it down! I just couldn't get how things connected. I know that makes me sound like a dunce, but usually I'm fine with that kind of thing! Really! I have a feeling you're going to get sleepier (or be less able to run on adrenaline)! My friend (who's having her boy on 2/26) Mel has been SO tired after work each day...the baby really can take a lot out of you! So pamper yourself and stay in bed...with a good book, of course!

Kim Star, I'm so glad that you liked Annie's...Funeral! It took me a while to read too. I felt I needed to put it down every now and again just to rest my mind. It's a really "active" book! Your devotionals sound wonderful, as does the practice of getting together once a week for that!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #86  

A Widow for One Year was good. If you're not into racy, I don't suggest Until I Find You. Irving's novels all tend to revolve somewhat around sexual themes. I read Cider House Rules several years ago and only recently watched the movie, which was pretty good (probably because he wrote the screenplay).

The Handmaid's Tale is my favorite Atwood book, but Alias Grace was excellent, too. Surfacing is another one I enjoyed. I like her poetry, but her prose, to me, is just so rich and full and thought-provoking that I am always left with echoes of each book.

Some books you read don't even make an impact (I call them trashy lit) and some just resonate forever - both Irving and Atwood are like that for me.

You know, I think part of the reason that I like teaching intermediate grades is because I get to read good stuff. I read Shiloh to my students and now I'm reading Where the Red Fern Grows to them. These are all pretty much city kids - even though we live in a rural area. They need to be able to experience things that are different. I had one child just finish The Secret Garden. She loved it, even though the language was difficult for her at first.

Thank you for the warm welcome.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #87  
I can do this!

MagnoliaKim, thanks for the suggestions! I love "discovering" new authors! I don't mind racy--one of my most favorite books of all time, Tipping the Velvet, is very racy...to the point where I'm very cautious of recommending it to others, sadly, since it's definitely one of those types of prose that "resonate forever." I agree with you about that--those tend to be some of my favorite books. Ones that I go back to over and over for ways to understand life! I love a lot of intermediate grade literature too! I'm not sure if they are too young for your students, but I absolutely love Lois Lowry's books, especially The Giver (what a great discussion-provoker that one is!) and Gathering Blue. I'm also a huge fan of a book called Frindle. It's about the way that we create and affect the development of language...and it's funny. Plus, it gives kids a sense of the ways in which they do have power and control over their own lives. Your choices for your students sound wonderful--they are lucky to have you!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi literary chicks!
I guess I've been on a Kingsolver kick lately. I hadn't read anything by her until last month I read Animal Dreams, which I didn't like very much, but I already posted about that. Then I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, which I liked a lot. I just took with me on my trip her Homeland short stories, and that was pretty good and a quick read.
I had tried reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Marcia Marquez last month, but there were so many characters and so much going on I never got past the first 80 pages. It's hard to read challenging stuff when you're in bed half asleep! But I didn't have anything else, so I took it with me on my trip. I ended up stranded in the Houston airport for 12 hours on Thursday, and so I was able to really focus on the story, and I liked it so much I ended up reading it through twice by the time I got home.
Laurie, I have not read that book but I'll have to check it out. I do love to read aloud, and the kids still love to listen. I don't know how long it'll go on, as they're almost 10 and 11 now, but I will miss it! Paperbackswap sounds great, but i haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.
Jessie, Glad you are doing well - get lots of rest!
Hi Ada! I love some Steven King books, can't stand others. Cell sounds interesting, kind of like the Stand?
Hi Magnolia Kim, I am an Atwood fan too. I loved The Handmaid's Tale, I've read it several times. I also read Cat's Eye, but not Oryx and Crake.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 02-25-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #89  

Brian and I finally finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows last night. It takes quite awhile to read over 700 pages aloud when some nights we only have time to read for 15 minutes. And every night I hear - Mom.....can't you read a little bit more (in that pleading tone that kids do so well). Last night we started back with the first book since I only read him the last three books. We've seen all the movies but the books have so much more detail.

I've also read three of the more recent Anne McCaffrey/Todd McCaffrey Dragonriders of Pern books. I really like the ones the son has written.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #90  

Laurie: There is a second book to The Giver, but I can't remember the name offhand. I loved Number the Stars by L. Lowry, too.

Schmoodle: I read Cat's Eye, too...I really do love, love, love Margaret Atwood. Between her and my thing for Rush, I think I'll be Canadian in my next life...

A Map of the World was good - not great, but worth reading. It does leave you thinking about choices we make and what inner strength really is.
Closed Thread