South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:44 AM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default Resolutions, anyone?

I'm a big goal setter so resolutions are fun for me. Because of past New Year's resolutions, I started making my bed regularly when I was a kid, and I started flossing daily a couple years ago. Here are mine for 2008. What are you planning?

#1 - Train for and run my first marathon (September 2008)

#2 - Focus on treating my body like a temple (I've realized that focusing on what I *can't* have has led to a negative attitude toward eating, so this year I am going to focus on treating my body well. One treat wouldn't sabotage those efforts, but stuffing myself with refined flours, food colorings, and sugar will. I need to treat my body respectfully so that I can accomplish all of the things I would like to do this year.)

#3 - Expand my stretching routine (I have been slacking on my stretching and have noticed my flexibility is suffering.)

Three solid, positive, and attainable goals.

Kara
Old 12-30-2007, 03:55 AM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Before I crawl into bed (can't sleep)
I'll post mine in progress
#1 Make sure I work out at least 15 min a day (starting back slow with the fibro)
#2 Focus on building strength (DH and I are going to try our hand at Kayaking when the weather gets warm)
#3 I'm Stealing yours Kara Treating my body like a temple and giving it the things it needs WATER good healthy Primarily Non Franken foods (I feel a SF Jello Kick coming on) and Taking all my vities!

non bod related
Learning how to slow down and appreciate life
Build a writing career. . .It's what I want!
OK BED!
Kierie
Old 12-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #3  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Let's see.... I really need a resolutions as the past few years my resolutions was not to have any.

1. Start exercising and liking it.
2. Back to the Beach way of life, no excuses.
3. Save for my Jamaica vacation. ( A year from Feb)
4. Love life and enjoy it.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Great thread, Kara!

This year I will keep it simple (maybe )

1. Get A's & B's in all classes I take this year.
We'll find out how I'm doing soon enough - start classes a week from Thurs!
2. Continue to build up my minutes per day for working out.
Doing MUCH better consistently exercising approx 14+ miles a week...still building up, though. Would like 25 miles a week by end of Feb.
3. Get aggressive about saving money and paying off our debt
Have added about $150 a month towards debt and another $100 a month towards savings - we don't need to eat out anymore!!

I know they're not all health related - but important to me nontheless. We'll have to remind ourselves to check this thread every few weeks to see how we're doing!!

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 01-08-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #5  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

1. Focus on myself - health & weight loss
2. Go to church more
3. Enjoy every day as if it were my last
4. Pay off debt
Old 12-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I've been thinking about this all week. Here are mine:

1. De-clutter and organize my summer kitchen, attics, garage, basement, and office.
2. Get on an exercise program and learn to love it (thanks, little chick, for the second part).
3. Get our budget in shape. I don't have any serious debt to deal with, thank goodness, but I've let things get a little loose in the money management department.
4. Get enough of the house renovations done that I can get my dining room table out of storage and have the family for Thanksgiving dinner next year.
5. Get my PESOH certification and PFS certification (work-related).
6. Reach 100 lbs. lost goal.

I love lists!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 01-15-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

I love this thread Kara
O.K. Here are mine:
1. Slow down when eating. I eat entirely too fast.
2. Get our finances budgeted and stick to it.
3. Finish my Rosetta Stone Spanish lessons.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Hee, I love it too. I was waiting for somebody to do it, and somehow I just knew it would be Kara!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

It's been one week already! How are those resolutions coming???

#1 - Train for and run my first marathon (September 2008) I've stuck with my training plan 100%! Feels great!

#2 - Focus on treating my body like a temple (I've realized that focusing on what I *can't* have has led to a negative attitude toward eating, so this year I am going to focus on treating my body well. One treat wouldn't sabotage those efforts, but stuffing myself with refined flours, food colorings, and sugar will. I need to treat my body respectfully so that I can accomplish all of the things I would like to do this year.) I had one slip up this week when I stuffed something in my mouth without thinking about it, but afterwards realized I should have asked myself if it would be worth it to eat something so not helpful to my body. Using that sort-of mantra ("Is it worth it?") plus adding in more exercise, which I see as "positive" - over taking away foods, which seems "negative" to me - has helped me have a better attitude.

#3 - Expand my stretching routine (I have been slacking on my stretching and have noticed my flexibility is suffering.) I've been doing my old stretching routine after every workout and my flexibility is coming back!

Off to the gym!

Kara

Last edited by tomandkara; 01-08-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #10  

It's already been a week?
Good thing I only made three resolutions

1. Slow down when eating. I eat entirely too fast.
I know people are going to tell me I'm going about this wrong but...I find if I am eating while working or on the computer I slow way down. It distracts me but I make sure I portion before I take it into that room.
2. Get our finances budgeted and stick to it.
Well, I cleaned out all the closets, etc and have 9 big boxes of stuff for a yard sale, I cut coupons this weekend, and I have not bought anything(this is a record by the way )
3. Finish my Rosetta Stone Spanish lessons.
When cleaning out the closet I found the Rosetta Stone so that's a start right?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #11  
Ready to Change

1. Start exercising and liking it.
I have been playing the wee.... boxing, golfing, etc so far it has been fun, but not liking or loving it yet. I am going to buy a mini tramp this week end.
2. Back to the Beach way of life, no excuses.
Tomorrow will be one full week, no cheats... I am going to weigh in tomorrow.
3. Save for my Jamaica vacation. ( A year from Feb)
Have started saving my toonies and loonies... everyday I clean out my wallet and drop them in my little bucket.
4. Love life and enjoy it.
This is a work in process, but right now I do love my life and am enjoying it and trying to keep stress out of my life.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #12  
Visualizing the Goal

Dawn, I think the issue with eating while otherwise occupied is just eating more than you intended because you weren't paying attention. If you've already portioned your food out and it's working for you, then have at it! I can't eat while I'm watching TV or reading or at the computer because I miss the experience of eating and don't enjoy it as much, and hence want to eat more. But that's just me. And I am the slllowwwwessssttttttt eater you've ever met, so I clearly have different issues than you!

Good for you with your money! We make a "zero-balance budget" for each month - account for every dollar that will be spent before it's spent - and it helps a lot with the mindless spending.

We use Rosetta Stone for Connor's French lessons, and we've just recently started using the German in preparation for our move. What a great program! Glad you found it!

LC, if I used a mini tramp I think I'd break something (or somethings!). Good luck with it! Way to go with your last week of eating! Is this Jamaica trip a special one? I've never been, but friends who have gone have always loved their time there.

Keep up the great work!

Kara

Last edited by tomandkara; 01-08-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #13  
Ready to Change

Kara, special in the fact that dh has never wanted to go anywhere hot and sunny and we are going with one other couple for sure. Maybe more. So I am pretty excited. I have not wore a bathing suit with out shorts or a shirt in atleast 20 years. So it is really my focus right now even though it is a year away. I am hoping I can talk dh into renewing our vows when we are there. I can picture myself in this cute white sundress and flowers in my hair. Corny is it not.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #14  

Kara- You telling me your 6 year old can master a foreign language just rededicated me to it in a whole new perspective And thank you for the support on my current solution to the slower eating plan.

LC That is NOT corny. It sounds romantic and fun. By the way, please let us know how the trampoline goes. That sounds like it could be fun exercise and I always stand the chance of breaking something anyway
Old 01-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #15  
Visualizing the Goal

I agree, not corny at all! You'll have to post pictures when you get back! You know that yogurt commercial that runs every summer with the "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" song? You could hang up that white sundress or a bathing suit as motivation! Sure, people will ask why you have a bathing suit hanging off your cupboard in the middle of winter, but won't it be worth it when you look FABULOUS in it?

Dawn - "always stand the chance of breaking something anyway"

Kara
Closed Thread