South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Mellie, the spinach/feta quiche is just a recipe I came up with in my head, it's not posted anyplace. I put 6 or 7 eggs in the blender, add a carton of ff crumbled feta and about 1/2 cup lf cheese blend, and whirl it for a couple of minutes. In the meantime, I spray a large frying pan with PAM, and saute some chopped onion, garlic and sliced mushrooms until soft, then add a large package of baby spinach and saute it all until it cooks down. Then I spray a pie pan with PAM and spread the spinach mixture in it and top it with the egg mixture. I baked it for almost an hour at 400*, and that was it. It made 6 servings, and it's really yummy and satisfying.

38withFreckles, you can have fat free 1/2 & 1/2, but sorry, no whipping cream. If you whip canned fat free evaporated milk, though, it will thicken up just like the real thing. You can even sweeten it with splenda if you like.

I'm at the end of Day 3 and feeling terrific! No "flu" symptoms here!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #122  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Jumping the Fence from WW to SBD

Although I was losing weight with WW Flex Point Plan I found that left to my own devices a lot of carbs (good only!) was creeping in and it looked like I was almost a vegetarian (shock to me!). After studying several diet plans before the holidays I decided to follow a modified Phase 2 while I gathered all the stuff for Phase 1. I decided against making cookies this year.

I am on my 4th day of Phase 1. Here is today's food choices. If anyone wants to critique it go ahead. I have already goofed a little by having 10 more nuts a couple of times (I reread the updated version of the Plan again this morning) than I should have but otherwise I'm doing well.

Fri 1/4

Breakfast:

2 eggs fried in canola oil
leftover pork steak
10 oz skim milk
V-8 juice (1/2 c serving vegetables)

Midmorning Snack:

string cheese
sugar free Jello cup

Lunch:

Chef Salad (see above)

Midafternoon Snack:

sugar free French Vanilla de caf coffee

Supper:

chicken chow mein (2 c. vegetables)

Snack:

nuts-count out 15
sugar free Jello cup
10 oz. skim milk

I had lost 17 lbs since September on WW and I have lost 2 lbs since January 1 on this Phase One.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #123  

to the Beach, pamatga! Your meal plan looks pretty good to me, just make sure you're getting at least 4 1/2 cups of veggies in each day, and go easy on those nuts!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #124  

Alright - day 3 is almost over and I made it with no cheating.

B: 2 egg and feta omelet with 2 pieces of turkey bacon, v8
S: coffee with sugar free vanilla syrup and a tiny bit of skim milk
L: 4 deviled egg halfs (two eggs), 10 black olives
S: 1 string cheese
D: undecided at this point - probably some celery and dip, i'm not that hungry

Question - how often do you all weigh yourselves?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #125  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Well just when I thought that I would not get the SBD flu, I am battling a wicked headache. Almost blinding. But I will not give in. My good friend is coming tomorrow to spend the day with me, we are going shopping. Well she is shopping I am tagging along. I spent far to much money last week end. Plus I need to start saving for my Jamiaca trip. Anyhoo. She is eating healthy as well so we are going to go for a salad lunch, but I think I will have a big huge bean breakfast so I am really full before we go. Well I think I need to head to bed cuz the computer is making my head worse.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #126  

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting Phase 1 on Monday. I did 3 weeks of Phase 1 a few months ago and lost about 15 pounds, but then I fell apart and its all back, plus some. It's been a rough year, but its time to get it together again and get healthier for myself and my super energetic 3 year old daughter!

I'll be checking frequently!

Kristina
Old 01-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 208/198/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi girls,

I'm new to the SB craze. Thanx for the invite Mellie! This is my third day avoiding the evil carb. I did give in for a slice of toast, but not really beating myself up about it. I have been cutting carbs for a few weeks, but wasn't on a strict regiment til now. I got on the scale 2day for the first time in 2 weeks only to discover that i'd already lost 10 lbs. accidentally. Yeay me!

Anyhow, so glad Mellie suggested this site as my co-worker and i are doing this together and need all the support we can get!

Good luck to everyone!

Rosa
Old 01-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #128  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb I'm calling this Pseudo Pizza-it was delicious

As a gardener for many years in the past, I never used commercially prepared spaghetti sauce until I moved into an apartment so I never even knew spaghetti sauce even had sugar in it!

I prefer my tomato sauce to be really chunky with lots of garden "add-ins".

Now, that I am on Phase 1 and going totally sugar free (this is my 5th day) try this when you "crave" something Italian. To me, this was like eating the top of a really good pizza. It was easy to prepare, it was delicious and it was almost salt-free and definitely sugar free. I just made this up off the top of my head but I am definitely going to make it in the future.

1)cook 90/10 lean ground sirloin in olive oil in frying pan(if you use minimal oil you don't even have to drain the oil)
2)add medium can of diced chunky tomatoes (had tomatoes, water and salt)
3)add diced green peppers, onions and mushrooms ( I even used the pre diced from the freezer section of my Publix store)
4)add Italian seasonings: pre-blended or individual like oregano, basil, etc.

Cover and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes. The tomatoes will cook down and get nice and thick.

Turn burner off and then place reduced fat cheese on top of the cooked meat/tomato mixture. Cover and let cheese melt.

Carefully, remove from pan onto plate. This was very very filling and it was very delicious. You can add other vegetables compatible with Italian cooking. I can see myself eating this as is without any pasta even in Phase 2. It was that good!

Bon appetite!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:42 AM   #129  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Veggies is not a problem

Thanks!

No, the veggies have not been a problem and I may have even had up to 6 cups per day. My DH has a congenital condition he and two of his siblings were born with called PKU and he has to eat a lot of vegetables as a protein source. On our first date, I made him dinner and when I turned my back to get something from the kitchen all the cooked vegetables I had on the table was on his plate! He looked up innocently and asked if I had wanted some! It was so sweet how he looked! I always tease him about leaving me some. Now, he asks but he loves it when I say "You can have the rest". Now, we might be in "competition" for them---especially cabbage, one of his favorites.

He "converted" me eight years ago and this part of the plan was actually the easiet for me.

I haven't been experiencing any physical symptoms like some of you are describing. I have been dieting for several months now so all the sugar withdrawal, etc. never was there very strong to begin with.

If you note in one of my earlier posts I mentioned that a rash I had has disappeared. I suspect it might mean I was having blood sugar spilling over into my urine. It has almost completely cleared up. I have read that this is one (of many) symptoms of diabetes. Since diabetes is very strong in both sides of my family, I feel that this will probably be my food plan for the rest of my life.

See my "psuedo pizza" recipe I threw together for supper last night.

I've been sugar free for the first four days and it hasn't bothered me.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #130  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvargas View Post
Hi girls,

I'm new to the SB craze. Thanx for the invite Mellie! This is my third day avoiding the evil carb. I did give in for a slice of toast, but not really beating myself up about it. I have been cutting carbs for a few weeks, but wasn't on a strict regiment til now. I got on the scale 2day for the first time in 2 weeks only to discover that i'd already lost 10 lbs. accidentally. Yeay me!

Anyhow, so glad Mellie suggested this site as my co-worker and i are doing this together and need all the support we can get!

Good luck to everyone!

Rosa
YIPPIE ROSA! So glad to see you around. Awesome work on the ten pounds!! I'm very proud of you!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #131  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

to all the newbies joining us.

Day 5 for me and I feel great

Mellie to answer your question I weigh once a week and thats on Friday mornings around 5:30am - it makes for a more consistant #

b - scramble egg beaters & boca patty with hot cocoa
s - turkey, cheese & lettuce roll ups
l - grilled sirloin patty over lettuce,tomato & onion
s - ham, cheese & lettuce roll up
d - eggplant parm
s - peanut butter cup shake (from phase 1 recipes)
Old 01-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Morning Ph1 chickies, we have made it this far! Day 5 for me, and the headache went away yesterday. I feel great this morning. All of you that are not feeling well, eat some beans and milk, and I hope you are through it soon!
Welcome to the beach Kristina, bellaluna, and Rosa.
Thanks for the recipes, cottage and pamatga. You guys are keeping me busy scribbling all this down!
pamatga, my DH is a veggie monster too. MIL sure taught him well to eat his veg when he was a kid! If I cook a huge pan of veggies, thinking I'll have lunch leftovers, he will eat it all in one sitting. Now I hide some first so I get enough!
As for weighing, I try to do once a week, because I get a little obsessed. But I do sometimes take a peek here an there. I weigh on Saturday, just because it's the day I started SB. I took a look this morning and was relieved to see that my ticker is not lying. Soon it will start to go down again!

Today is shopping day, not much around here for food.
B - 2 hb eggs, V8, coffee
S - cocoa
L - Hebrew National fat free hot dog, roasted veggies, cheese
S - latte, celery and LCLC
D - Shrimp stir fry
S - Greek yogurt with almonds
Old 01-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 208/198/160

i had no idea there was such an illness, but now it makes sense. I had a blinding headache that turned into a migraine on thursday. i couldn't explain it 'cause 4 the first time in a month i slept 6 hours which is unheard of for me. I was even going to look for an acupuncturist for relief since pills and massages weren't cutting it. The nausea was outta control and the pain was miserable until DH massaged my head...whew! This explains it.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #134  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Talking Yummo to the max!

I made the Taco Bake last night. DH and I both enjoyed the tastes so much. I added one other garnish-avacado chopped up. We used salsa verde-tomatillo based.
There will be NO leftovers!!! We both had some for b-fast.
Karla
Old 01-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #135  

Day 4 for me and feeling terrific! Thanks for the avocado idea, SkinnyDogMom, I'm going to add a bit to my taco bake for lunch today. That should be really yummy!
I had breakfast at Cracker Barrel this morning, and had no trouble staying OP. They have a lot of healthy options on their breakfast menu that are SB friendly.
Here's my menu plan for today -

B. 3 scrambled eggs, 2 turkey sausage patties, sliced tomatoes
S. FF Greek yogurt w/splash of DaVinci SF peanut butter syrup
L. Taco Bake
S. raw veggies w/hummus
D. leftover Chicken Divan, steamed cauliflower
S. sf jello w/ 2 T. ff Cool Whip
Closed Thread