South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Hey everyone. D1 is over and it did not go well. I was cooking dinner last night and went to grab a big pot off of the stove and got so light-headed that I almost passed out. DH took care of dinner for me and made me eat a Luna bar. We've talked about it and I really don't think that P1 is right for me. I'm going to follow P1 to the law except for one Luna bar pre-workout. I think it is really more important for me to maintain a workout schedule than to go through P1.

A sample menu for me is:

B: 2 eggs scrambled with spinach, 1 small can V8, 2 slices turkey bacon
S: 1/2 c vanilla flavored yogurt (sweetened w/ Splenda)
L: Salad greens with sliced deli turkey, FF shredded mozzarella, homemade vinaigrette dressing
S: String cheese and celery
Pre-workout snack: Luna bar
D: Meatball Casserole, Mashed Cauliflower, Salad
D: SF Fudgesicle (melted)
Old 01-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Sunflower, relieved to hear the cocoa didn't kill ya! I'd hate to be passing out bad advice!
I usually get two decent sized eggplants to do a lasagna. If they're small, maybe three. Also, I cook the slices on the grill or under the broiler first to keep the lasagna from getting too runny.
The romaine works well for wraps because the leaves are long and flexible. Also the boston bibb works great for smaller wraps, but I don't get it often because it's expensive and the romaine is always on sale. The bibb is kind of cup-shaped, so it's good for things that are kind of runny. The red leaf and green leaf work well too, but the iceberg tends to be a little stiff for rolling and also is not as good for you as the darker greens. Oh, and spinach works too, the regular, not the baby. I looove rolling things up in lettuce. My faves are tomato, turkey bacon, avocado and a little mayo, egg salad, or chicken salad.
For the fish, tilapia is easy to find, goes on sale often, and has a very mild flavor. Flounder is also mild tasting. If you don't mind fish that tastes like fish, my favorites are salmon and tuna. I also love rockfish and bluefish, but don't know if you could get these where you are. The blue is a very fishy tasting fish, but I love that. These are more expensive, so they are treats for me.
Don't know the answer about the farina!

Yum, cottage, I love spinach, but I've never tried this. I will definitely put it on the plan. I stocked up on frozen spinach recently.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #63  

Hi Kim, LOL look how much our day's menu looks alike! Great minds think alike!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #64  

Height: 5'6

Default day 1 menu

so yesterday was:
breakfast- 2 scrambled eggs and 2 turkey sausages with water to drink
snack was 1 cup broccoli and cauliflower with SB ranch maybe 2tbs?
lunch was 2 quiche cups with spinach, mushroom and onion and hot tea
dinner was beef and bean chili with LF cheese and LF sour cream
snack was a NS added fudgepop
I had water and 1 diet coke with splenda
Does this look ok? Am I over or under on anything?
Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #65  

Hi atxgirl, I don't believe we've met. I looked at your menu and I definitely don't think you're over. Depending on amounts, you may be under, but just make sure you eat if you're hungry. You can have a snack in the afternoon if you want. I would also say more veggies. It looks like about 1 1/2 to 2 cups, and you want to get in 4 1/2 cups of veggies. It is a lot and if you're not used to it, you may have to work up to it. That's what I did and it still is a challenge for me. but it makes a huge difference. Unless the chili was full of veggies - maybe it's more than it looks? Here's how I will get there today - my breakfast omelet was full of veggies. I drank a cup of V8. For lunch I had spinach salad topped with 1/2 cup of bean salad. My afternoon snack will be celery with peanut butter, and dinner is chicken with more veggies and stewed eggplant. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #66  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Schmoodle-the recipe for spinach souffle stuffed chicken is on this website. It is under recipes, then phase 1 recipes and I did a search for Souffle stuffed Chicken.
If you have the SBD cookbook, it is on page 226.
It was delicious and 1 serving was very filling. We paired it with a veggy salad. It was easy and quick to make as well.
Karla
Old 01-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #67  

Height: 5'6

Schmoodle, thanks for the feedback and yes I guess I will need to work up to it! I did forget that I had celery sticks with natural peanut butter at breakfast. So thats one more serving of veggies. The chili had onions, garlic and green chilies, none of which I normally put down as "veggie consumption" but there was A LOT in there, LOL.
I feel amazing today! I have my bridal hair run through this afternoon so I am leaving work early and cannot wait to get a big iced tea on the way!

My one question before I go put lemon in it - is lemon ok to have on phase 1? I have seen lemon just listed on recipes but thought phase 1 was strictly no fruit.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #68  

Thanks, skinnydogmom!
atx, lemon juice is on the current Phase I foods list, under condiments.
So enjoy your tea, and good luck on the hair!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #69  
dbz

S/C/G: 246/241.5/140

Height: 5' 6"

today's my day one since the in-laws had a belated Christmas dinner at their house last night and her gravy is the best part of her menu so I couldn't very well turn down mashed potatoes or stuffing, could I?

started off with a half-hour on the elliptical (gotta start slow again and keep my heartrate in the target area), 2 hard-boiled eggs and an 8oz glass of V8, morning snack was a string cheese, lunch was a salad with cherry tomatoes, hearts of palm and artichoke hearts (balsamic/oil dressing) and 10 crispy pepperoni, afternoon snack will be celery & cherry tomatoes with about 1/4 cup of hummus, dinner is the garlic-butter tilapia recipe in the recipes section with SB surprise mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts with pancetta. And of course I will have a S/F fudgesicle for dessert ... of course!

surprising how easy it is to get back in the swing of things
Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #70  

Why am I being tested like this? We just received from my DH's aunt a giant box of assorted Lindt chocolates. My entire family is in the kitchen right now sampling them. I made some nsa hot chocolate and came to hide out in the office with the chicks.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #71  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I thought the holidays and the gift giving was over - I just received a delivery from a customer & guess what it is chocolate lots of chocolate. Sooooo not phase 1 friendly.... in the trash it will go.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 283-261/198/140

Schmoodle and Gonnabe What will power you have!

I think I am getting the veges needed. For breakfast I had a mushroom, onion,cheese 2 egg omelet topped with homemade salsa, and a cup of hot cocoa(homemade not from package!) For lunch I had a 6 inch vege sub with oil and vinegar topping left the bread. Afternoon snack was celery and natural pb. Dinner was what we call machca.(trimmed round steak in the crockpot with green chilis, onion, tomatoes, and garlic.) Placed on a bed of lettuce(1/2 of a bag of romaine) topped with refried beans, gaucamole, lite sour cream and 2% shreded cheese and homemade salsa. And dessert will be sf jello and 2 tbs. of lite coolwhip.

I made it through day 2, am I doing it right? I seem to be ok with it. I had 4 glasses of water(about 16 oz ea) and 1 diet soda with lunch.

Shopping went great. DS1 got 2 shirts,DD1 got 2 new tank tops,4 Italian charms, 4 lip glosses, DD2 got shoes, skort from gymboree,5 Italian charms,lotion and bath gel with a foamy,(lotion, fragance splash to share with DD1)and I got a new winter canvas bag to carry my stuff to school, and 3 Italian charms all for $78. I thought that was pretty good.

weigh in was o.k. The doctor was pleased. I lost 30 lbs since September 10.The blood pressure was down so there will be no medicines for that I need to go back in June for another weigh in and blood work. At least this time the weigh in isn't right after a holiday and there is a longer time inbetween visits. How come I still feel like the 30 lb heavier person? I keep telling myself it is because I want to lose more.

Well I guess I am done for tonight I told you I would be on thread alot during the 2 weeks!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:51 AM   #73  

Hi phx! I usually have zero will power. I think right now I'm just sick of eating bad stuff from Christmas. But usually I have to make the house a safe zone, or eventually I WILL eat whatever in a moment of weakness. Especially if whatever is chocolate, and it's TOM (sorry, Tom). Sounds like you're doing great, and your dinner sounds delish. Wanna share the recipe?
I love the January shopping! I'm dying to get out to the stores again.
congrats on the good checkup!
kudoes to you Gonnabe!
Sounds like a great day one, sbz.

Let's see, I think I'll have egg salad wraps for breakfast, with coffee and V8.
Lunch will be rutabaga soup (a kind of yucky experiment, but I need to eat it) and roasted veggies. Maybe some beans to round things out.
Snacks - celery with LCLC, string cheese, and a latte.
Dinner - Taco Bake and Salad!
Topped off with a fudgesicle.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

You have me hungry for Taco Bake now. I have time to make one before work this morning, so I can have some for lunch.
Day 1 went great and I'm ready for Day 2!

B. spinach, mushroom and ff feta quiche
S. red pepper strips and hummus
L. Taco Bake over mixed greens
S. celery and string cheese
D. Leftover pork & pepper salad
S. SF jello w/2 T. ff Cool Whip
Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #75  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Phase 1 day 3 and I am feeling great!

bfast - l/o taco bake & eggs