South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default Here's a scale question

Is it possible to get a false *low* reading???

We all know there are tons of ways to get a higher than normal reading...too much salt...water retention from that time of month...weighing while clothed...not peeing before you weigh

But can you get a false low weight?

The only reason I'm asking is that this morning I had "gained" three pounds since yesterday and I ate 100% on-plan, cut off my eating at 8:00 (on the dot), didn't have too much salt, am just finishing my period, and just can't think of a good reason that the scale should be up. So could I have gotten bad "low" readings the last couple days and this is the true number? (I've been weighing every day because I knew I'd be losing on Phase 1 and I was anxious to see the number go down.)

Just curious what you all think. I will refrain from changing my ticker *up* until I hear the verdict!!!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

There are all sorts of things that can make your weight fluxuate; the temperature, how much your body is hydrated or dehydrated, even the amount of undigested food in your system. The best way to get the most accurate reading is to weigh yourself once a week, first thing in the morning after going potty, before you are dressed. Other than that, you are going to get ups and downs on a regular basis by weighing yourself every day.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

Don't change your ticker. You know there is NO possible way you gained 3 pounds in 24 hours. That's 10500 additional calories. Cottage is right it could be a whole myriad of things. I'd be willing to bet come tomorrow they're gone just as fast as they arrived. You're doing great!
THINBYJUNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Nope I don't think you can get a false low. Things can add weight to your body, water retention, food in your stomach, clothing, waste, not shaving your legs for 3 weeks. If none of that applied, I can't think of anything that would make your body weigh less than it actually weighs. I say go with the lowest!

And sorry about the 3 lbs. That kind of stuff can drive you crazy can't it?
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

I shaved last night, too! You'd think that would have taken something off!!!

Kara
Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #6  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

not shaving your legs for 3 weeks. And I've been searching for the weighloss secret all this time
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

It didn't work. You'll have to keep on searching...

Although, I think I had only gone two weeks. I know, gross, but it's winter and I wear pants all the time and it's not like Tom was coming near me during this week anyway. Maybe the extra third week would have helped...

Kara
Old 12-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #8  
Pregnant w/PCOS

S/C/G: On Hold

Height: 5'4

3 days ago I woke up, weighed myself and mysteriously had gained 4lbs, whaaat?? The next day it was back down to what it had been, less 1lb. Don't know what was up with that?!
LoveMySgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Ooooo, that's what I'm looking forward to then! If you can gain four pounds overnight, you should be able to lose five!

Kara

P.S. I'm 5'4" and Tom's 6'2"! And I love your avatar picture.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago...I was up by 6 lbs in one day! Then the next day, down by 4 lbs, then a few days after that, down by a couple more, then a couple more the day after that..then the last few days it's hovered around the same within a couple of ounces..with NO off eating in that time period and I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago, so no TOM issues. Scales are just stupid, stupid, stupid. Go by the "clothes scale".
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:48 AM   #11  
Visualizing the Goal

Six pounds in one day! You must have applied for the Guiness Book for that one?! You're so right...wait it out and go by how I feel. Thanks, Cat!

Kara
Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #12  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

kara... I'm married, but no sex. It's a high of 19 degrees around here so all the hair I can grow is for warmth not vanity LOL If I really don't think much about the razor during the winter for my legs. Arm pits yes legs not so much. Although if It was the magic weightloss secret I might try it LOL
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote