3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   Thursday Cluckings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/126708-thursday-cluckings.html)

cottagebythesea 11-08-2007 06:14 AM

Thursday Cluckings

:coffee: Good morning lovely ladies!

I was trying to think of a witty title to today's thread, but I guess my brain isn't fully awake, it's not doing witty this morning. ;)
Brrrrrr, it's really cold out, my thermometer out on the patio says it's 29* and it's only supposed to warm up to 47*, so I'd better wear something warm today! Just the usual stuff going on here, and I have to give the carpet a deep vacuuming before I leave this morning. It still felt a little damp last night. I'm thrilled with my new livingroom suite, it looks great!

I'm going to pour myself another cup of coffee and ease into the day. What's on your agenda for the day?

Ruthxxx 11-08-2007 06:34 AM

28º and going all the way up to 33º today! I guess this is "it". :( Looks like a sunny sunrise though.

Yesterday was not a complete success. although Donna did get my house sparkling. I had lots of errands (niggles) in town and met a friend when doing them. We ended up going out for lunch before I got the groceries and that was that. I realized at 2 that I was really wiped so skipped the groceries and came home for a nap. I need to pace myself better, I guess. I even skipped the AGM for the Hort. Society! Tut! Tut!

So today will be big grocery shop in the smaller city and I must do that this morning. I seem to run out of steam mid-afternoon. Instead of a nap after lunch, I'll work on my quilted wall hanging that I must finish before I go West the 21st. (I keep saying the end of the month but it's really less than two weeks.) Who ever said retirement was boring?

Have a good Thursday and stay warm if you're in this part of the world. I'm getting out the winter coats today!

femmecreole 11-08-2007 07:47 AM

Cold here too...38 (ok, not as cold as you ladies up north!) My frangiapani outside in a pot has the droops this morning.

Busy day workwise, but tomorrow will take some time off to go to Baton Rouge with my Mama to Whole Foods and stock up on some fruit/vegs...and visit my oldest son. I feel bad because I have so much work that we don't get her out of the house much and it will be a nice little field trip. We plan on taking her to a bed and breakfast for the weekend soon.

Stay warm! I'm off to eat some leftover lemon/caper turkey for breakfast then off to school.

Schmoodle 11-08-2007 08:13 AM

Morning chicks, yep, cold here too. I'll have to bundle up for my morning walk to school. Nothing exciting going on here today, but I kind of like it that way!

Ruth, in my book, it's way more important to have lunch with a friend than to buy groceries! Hope you had a great time.
Cat, your breakfast sounds yummy!
cottage, I'm with you, I am not moving fast this morning. Fortunately DH is on the ball and is herding the kids along.
Barb, my DH is on Metformin and Lipitor. He does SB with me (mostly) and says it's the best thing that ever happened to his blood sugar level. He was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few years ago, an oddity because he is not overweight and doesn't have a family history of the disease. I think it's the way he always ate (no breakfast, maybe some lunch, HUGE dinner), and also the stuff I was feeding him all those years. :( Hope your DH has success with the diet/medication route as well.

Survivor tonight! I'm having a hard time with this season because I really haven't bonded with anyone so far. Todd's an idiot, I didn't like Sherea, don't like Pei Ghee or Jean Robert. I want to like James, but he keeps saying things that make me think maybe he's not so nice after all, although very nice to look at. I guess I'll have to root for the lunch lady, but I think she doesn't have a shot in he**. Frosti maybe? Hopefully one of the people that haven't gotten much screen time yet will turn out to be decent!

Stay warm chickies!

beachgal 11-08-2007 08:34 AM

Good MORNING, early birdies! :grouphug: :coffee:

It's a cold one here, too, Cottage! :brr: I put on a shirt, thick sweater, scarf, and winter coat, then stood in line at Dunkin' Donuts for Pumpkin Skinny Latte (yours sounded so good yesterday!) and sweated! :lol: It seems like it takes forever to find somethiing you can wear that keeps you warm inside but doesn't make you overheated when you're inside! :shrug: Your living room suite sounds amazing!!! When you finish all that vacuuming, how about a picture or two so we can all ooh, ahh, and envy you? ;) I hope you had a GREAT birthday! :hug:

Ruthie, you've definitely convinced me that retirement is far from boring! :lol3: In fact, I may need to do some serious nappage now that I'm working so I can have enough energy for when I do retire! ;) Have a great shop in the smaller city and keep your eyes averted from any Chinese food! :dust: You know, though, if you feel the need for a nap in the afternoon, why not endulge? Your body may just be deciding that it wants to wake up at 4 and do the last two hours of sleep in the afternoon... :chin: Your quilt sounds awesome...we need pictures! How is Hersh when you're quilting?

Cat, I love how many of you are eating creative breakfasts! :broc: Your trip sounds divine! I hope you have a great time and your Mama does, too! The B&B idea sounds wonderful! I cannot imagine you having a son old enough to live on his own, Cat! Did you have him when you were 12? ;) I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see you both! Frangipiani!!! I haven't seen one of those in years...my mom used to try to grow them in California.

Schmoodle, good for you for walking to school, especially in the cold! What classes are you taking? I didn't know you were going...I'm obviously not paying enough attention! :o

Me:
My first week (in a looooong time) of working two days back to back. We're now closed on Fridays so I'll be working M, W, Th. We'll see how it goes. I got myself out of bed this morning with the promise of a Pumpkin latte at Dunkin Donuts if I moved quickly enough. I know I shouldn't reward myself with food, but it was worth it. :devil:

Has anyone had issues with their jaw clicking? My right jaw joint has been making clicking noises when I open or close it for the last three days. I don't have any other symptoms, including pain, but I can't find much online to explain if this is worth going to the doctor or not. :halfempty: I know no one here is a doctor (nor plays on on TV... :lol: ) but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before. I hate to sound like a hypochondriac by whining to my doctor for every little thing...you know? :o

Hope everyone has a great day! This is the one where I have to tutor for an hour after work and then go to the gym. We'll see how well it works...I'm hopeful! :crossed:

phxsunflower 11-08-2007 08:39 AM

Hi ladies,

I would love to send you all some of our :sunny:warmth:sunny:. It is suppose to be 91 so I am in shorts still. It is hard to get into the winter holiday season when it is so warm.

I was wondering when you ladies set up your mini goals how big is it? Is it in pounds losing or maintaining, trying to get into an outfit or what? I feel like I am here trying to lose but just floating through until I get to where I want to be. Also what is your reward? I had two and both of the goals were met but when I got there I was not able to actually able to get them because of funds. The rewards were nothing real costly but with a family at home funds were just not available when the goals were met. I think rewards are important just to keep the mind set a good one. Any good ideas?

I think I got it all out for this morning. My day looks like a normal day with the kids and all. Hope you all have a great day and a safe one.

beachgal 11-08-2007 08:59 AM

Hey, Phx! :wave: I know we're all jealous of your heat, but it must be nice for you to finally be out of the 100s! :faint: I usually set my goals in pounds, but there's no reason why you can't make your mini goals about fitting into an outfit, being able to lift a certain amout of weight at the gym, or running a mile in a record amount of time. It's your mini goal, after all! ;) As for rewards, I hear you on money. I usually set my mini goals big enough that I'd have enough time to save the money for them. Both my rewards (a day at a spa and a day at Disneyland) were costly, but I had about 4-6 months to plan for them, so I had enough at the end to do them. :D Maybe you can take a cue from Jenn and use a present from someone as a reward? You could ask for a gift cert for your reward and then have it waiting for when you get there!

:welcome3: back Jenne! :hug: I've missed you! I'm sorry Alli didn't work better...but I'm glad to have you back with us. So DW doesn't like veggie dishes? I'm glad you found a friend at work to help support you! :D

Barb, hon, I'm so sorry that DH isn't helping out more. :( I know how hard it is to feel like you're pulling most of the weight...and hearing about all the things you do as a mom, it sounds like that's one HUGE pile you're pulling around!!! I think anyone would be totally blessed to have someone as industrious, caring, and energetic as you for their partner...to not do as much as they can to help out is really ungrateful. :( I agree with Kara on the writing things down idea. Can you sit down with DH and a list of the chores that need to be done and decide who's doing what? That might help. Sometimes guys just need something concrete and straightforward... :rolleyes: On the other hand, my DH and I were fighting about this exact issue at our therapist's, and she kept saying that it wasn't really about who was doing the dishes; that there was something else going on. She was right. So, maybe you and DH need to talk about more than just the chores? If he really is depressed, that could explain a lot about his not doing things around the house. I know how totally frustrating it is to try to get a guy to even go to the doctor, and when they do and it's short and unsuccessful like his last visit, it's just the last straw, eh? But perhaps you can get him to go back and talk about depression? I'll be thinking of you and praying for you both, hon. You are a fantastic and amazing woman and mom, and I hope he learns to appreciate you! :hug:

GONNABE165 11-08-2007 09:06 AM

Good cold morning to everyone! It's only in the 40's here but thats cold enough.

Cottage glad you love the furniture. Bundle up and keep warm

Ruth Brrrrr a high of 33 that is cold. Now I know why I live in Florida. Be sure to get out those coats a syou are going to need them

Cat your plans with your mom sound great I hope she enjoys them

Schmoodle I'm not much into survivor (tv for that matter) but I always say may the best man/woman win

Laurie sorry to hear about your jaw :hug: I hope it gets better soon

Phx I have set mini goals and met them but ended up not taking the reward as it seemed meeting the goal became reward enough. I have a few goals set for now like loosing 5lbs this month and jogging/running a mile without stopping I don't know if I will reward myself or not but I have been eyeing a few things I want so we will see. Good luck with your goals!

:dust: as we will all need it on this cold morning in order to stay motivated

Pacergal29 11-08-2007 09:09 AM

Brrrr! :brr: Another chilly one here too! Guess it is time to face reality that winter is on its way!

Cottage Glad you are happy with your living room set and hope your birthday was fab!

Ruth There is nothing wrong with a little cat nap in the afternoon to set yourself up for the rest of the day!

Cat Hope your trip to BR is a good one. That is one of the few places I can say I have been even if it was for work reasons, and I really enjoyed it!

Schmoodle I agree with you 100% on survivor, I don't have a fav yet either.

Laurie Not sure about the whole jaw thing, maybe a little bit of TMJ going on???? Don't know alot about it but might be worth doing a search on.

Phx Afraid I am not much help in the goal area as far as rewards go. I never really rewarded myself other than new clothes and that wasn't so much a reward as a necessity!

Me Speaking of new clothes, I have no sweaters that fit, I am swimming in these darn things! Looks like more bargin hunting this weekend that or freezing at work cause the boss is stingy with the heat!

Have a great day chicks!

THINBYJUNE 11-08-2007 09:44 AM

Good morning all,
It's supposed to be 78 here today. I would love to send you all some warmth like PHX.
PHX I also set my goals in pounds and usually reward myself with somehing I love doing that is free or at least cost effective. Bubble bath and turn the phones OFF. Driving to the beach and taking a walk. I also go through my closet and try on everything. Then if things are too big I bag them up to give away. That way when I do have money I already have room in my closet. Hope this helps.
Laurie I had the jaw clicking thing once and the dentist told me it was either because I was opening my mouth too widely when I yawned or I was grinding my teeth in my sleep. He tol me to try and rest my jaw as much as possible (I think he was trying to tell me to be quiet :) and it went away in a few days as I recall. Hope you feel better.

Everyone have a great day. I'm off to work.

Schmoodle 11-08-2007 09:54 AM

Morning again gals!
Laurie, I don't go to school, although at some point I guess I'll have to go back and get my masters (shudder). My kids are walkers and I walk with them. It's an easy way to get in two miles/day. By the way, I had that clickie jaw thing. I've discussed it twice with my dentist. It has to do with stress and jaw grinding at night for me. It comes and goes. I'm must not be too stressed right now, because it hasn't been clicking lately. It's mainly just an annoyance. He advised me to wear a tooth guard thingie at night, but I couldn't adjust. You can pick them up at the drugstore.
phx, I haven't done any big rewards, but when I hit 25 lbs, I bought a SB cookbook and some new undies. When I hit 50 lbs. (soon I hope), I've got a few ideas. I want some exercise DVDs for winter. I recently bought some clothes, but that was more necessity than reward! My goals just kind of naturally fell out. I had 100 lbs. total to lose. I wanted to lose it in a year. My birthday was 6 months after I started, so my goal was 50 lbs. by then. I don't know how realistic these are though, they seemed very do-able at first, but my loss rate has slowed recently and I am doing my best to adjust my brain to the fact that a slower loss is actually a good thing. The sky will not fall if I don't lose this weight in a year. So I guess my advice is to be careful with goals, that they don't become added stress. I'm starting to think now that the best goals I set were the activity-related goals. These are things I missed out on doing with my kids the last couple of years because I was too heavy. DD and I did the jingle bell run/walk last weekend and that felt great! Next year m goal is to run it instead of walking. Her Scout troop goes tubing every January, and I didn't want to have to heave my big self onto a tube, so I have always skipped it. I'm really excited to do it this year with her. I've also set a goal in the spring to hike up to Annapolis Rock with DH. It's an arduous climb that I never would attempt in the past. Achieving these goals is more gratifying than seeing a number on the scale.

Barb0522 11-08-2007 11:03 AM

Laurie - I think you may be right. There is more going on. I just don't know if he is willing to talk to the doctor about depression but at least it is a step that he is getting treated for the diabetes and blood pressure. He's had those for years. It is hard to get him to talk to me about things but I think we will need to talk soon.

me - Staying on plan is really paying off. I'd down again this morning so that is 4 pounds this months so far. Now if I can just make it past Thanksgiving. I talked to DH about getting the house straightened up so we could have people over as we do every year and his response was that we should just not have them over this year. Brian was not happy about that so I suspect he and I will be doing a lot of cleaning.

Pacergal29 11-08-2007 11:24 AM

Barb I feel for you my DH isn't much better but his is due to his mother doing everything for him for way to many years. Heck just this morning he was complaining about sitting the trash out! Needless to say I blew my stack and said you take the trash out and mow the lawn, I sure hope that doesn't over extend you! Sometimes it is just easier to keep my mouth shut and do it myself but man does it irk me! Just wish he would realize at times how good he has it! UGH MEN!

Kim_Star060404 11-08-2007 11:33 AM

Hey everyone! Just a quick check-in for me. Tons of work to do before flying to Austin tomorrow morning! DH and I are going to the big city tonight after work and will spend the night there because my flight leaves at 6:45 am. :yikes: He wants to go to Olive Garden tonight for dinner, but I'm trying to talk him out of it. I know it's been years since we've been there, but it's all too much temptation for me!!

Things went very well at the school yesterday. I've got my schedule and have gotten the orientation requirement waived to register early, but have to "promise" to attend the orientation. Sheesh. I was talking to the guy in charge of enrollment and was explaining to him that I felt it was ridiculous that a person who's had four years at college was required to attend all the dumb orientation stuff they do. Here's the conversation:

Him: "Well, the point of the orientation is to build confidence in our students."
Me: "How confident is an over-weight 26-year-old going to be in a room with 50 size-4 18-year-old girls?"
Him: (Laughing). "Well, don't you want to make new friends?"
Me: "No, I can't hang on to the ones I've got. When will I have time for friends when I work full-time, go to school full-time and have a household to run? Besides, how are these kids going to relate to me when all I can talk about is my mortgage payment or what the current acceptable interest rate is on IRAs or how I can't figure out the dang ovulation calendar and basal body temperature method for trying to conceive?!" (Yes, I know it's bad, but I was beyond miffed at this point.)
Him: (Laughing harder.) "Just come. You never know what could happen and you just might enjoy it. If it's that bad, I'll just let you out early. However, if you do leave early, you have to promise to justify your leaving in the exact same manner to the enrollment board members. Those guys could really use a laugh."

So, I'm going to put on my happy face and show up and make the best of it. You never know. It will at least be good for some laughs, I'm sure. I'm going to have to go have coffee my best friend here (she's 40 and will be finishing her degree in May) so we can laugh at all the ridiculous things coming out of those kids' mouths. I'm just waiting for the "tell us about your favorite high school experience" question so that I can reply with a "how the he** am I supposed to remember that? it was 10 years ago!!!"

little chick 11-08-2007 12:18 PM

hey chicks a quickie for me today.... dh and I were outside doing some yard work, so I am just getting a sec to post now. Cuz it is already time for the bus stop. Have a great day.