South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #1  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

Default school nutritionist has me fuming!!!

I just need to rant. I feel like I could scream! So as most of you know, I have all kinds of food issues that my doctor hasn't been able to pin down. The latest try is to go gluten free because I have many of the symptoms of celiac disease (as do my family, as I've come to find, and it's genetic) and it's easier to go 3 months gluten free than have a rather invasive procedure done that isn't all that accurate anyway. As you know, there is no cure for celiac disease and the only treatment is a completely gluten free diet anyway, so diagnosing it really has no point other than to slap a label on me. Because gluten is tricky to find and especially in cafeteria style dining is hard to avoid combined with a dairy allergy, I met with my school nutritionist.

I understand my dietary needs are a bit difficult but I expected to be treated with respect based upon my choices in terms of my diet. I eat relatively vegan (mostly to avoid dairy) but do eat fish and will eat meat if in absolutely dire circumstances or if it's organic and free range. I explained to her that because of not being able to eat any wheat, barley, or rye, I could deviate occasionally from South Beach just because otherwise I might never get any grains at all (we rarely have brown rice in any of the cafeterias), but that it is absolutely essential to me to have my 7-8 servings of vegetables a day and I will eat no more than 2 servings of grains a day. She looked at me like I was crazy!

Essentially, she told me that there was no way I could eat that many veggies unless I ate massive amounts of salads because most of the vegetables here are cooked with soy sauce (which has gluten in it) and that there is no veggies in the school store and that's not something she saw as a pressing issue enough to pursue. She also told me that in order to lose weight, that it's "ridiculous" to follow any plan and I just need to eat less and it doesn't matter what it is! I KNOW my body reacts well to SB and I can't believe she told me that it was a stupid thing to do. She then said I would need to supplement my diet with my own money (OVER my 3 thousand dollar a year meal plan that is required!!!) if I insisted on doing that. She also said that provisions could be made for the gluten and dairy issues, but I would have to "get over" my aversions to potatoes and corn (both of which now cause me to get severe stomach pains after not eating them for so long and I notice an almost immediate jump on the scales) as well as eat more meat.

I could not be more angry! I have other friends with multiple food allergies or who are vegan who call ahead and have food made for them. That wasn't even an option for me. Not to mention I really don't have the money to run to the grocery store weekly and buy more vegetables! I'm just so angry because I worked so hard all summer to lose weight and only managed about 20 pounds (which is still decent, but after almost 4 months, I expected better). I've gained back half of that in the past 2 weeks trying to navigate the world of travel and eating out while being gluten and dairy free. I hate getting my mom involved since I'm an adult and should be dealing with it, but at this point I don't know what else to do. I haven't eaten anything but dry salad for the past 3 days!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

That sounds ridiculous! A competent nutritionist probably should have told you to stick to SB if that's what works for you to lose weight! I would definitely get someone involved...if not your mom than a counselor or outside nutritionist. This is terrible!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I can't believe she said you just need to eat less and it didn't matter what you ate??!!!! OK guess we can all go on the candy and donut diet as long as we stay under a certain number of calories! Whew I'd definetly go over her head and see what other options they can offer. Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:05 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

What at ignorant person! Can you go over her head?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

Devils advocate (much easier to be when not personally involved) -- you don't know who else that nutrionist had seen that day, what other battles she'd been in, what's going on in her life that may leave her distracted and impatient. So briefly give her the benefit of the doubt and find a second opinion.

Find another nutritionist if there is one. If there isn't then definitely go over her head to her boss. Get the genetic information out there first, so this isn't something you might have decided on your own. If the words "South Beach" are some kind of red flag to these folks play the game. Call it a low glycemic index diet or any other creative name you can think of.

A real time example -- my nephew is allergic to onion. Tell somebody you don't like onion and they'll find all kinds of ways to sneak it to you, to prove to you that you can't tell. Tell them you're allergic and suddenly they're cooperative. So try changing the phraseology for whatever food choices are yours because you find they work better for your body to specific allergies. Lactose intollerent should shut them up about most dairy. The gluten should work as well, since that's a well documented allergy. Get creative, but make sure whatever you come up with is something they can scientifically relate to.

Just don't go back to that first git, she isn't worth the time or aggravation!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #6  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

If you've had allergy testing done, have your allergist e-mail or fax you a copy of the report on his/her letterhead. Same with your regular doctor, have them send you a statment of treatment or some such.

If she still acts like you're making it up, I'd call the licensing board for your state, and see what they reccommend as the next step in dealing with her (if she's your only option of nutrionist). It really ticks me off when professionals give out bad advice.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Dixie - have medical records and professionals to back you up. If she still doesn't want to do anything, go to the head of the on campus health care and talk to them.

If it's required that you carry a meal plan, they should provide you with a meal!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #8  
Here we go again!

S/C/G: 319/319/150

Height: 5' 5"

You may need to check on this, but they may be required by law to make "reasonable accomodations" in the case of allergies, etc. What about students who must only eat Kosher or will not eat certain foods for religious reasons? Does the school make "reasonable accomodations" for them? Since you are required to carry a meal plan, then it stands to reason that they must make reasonable accomodations to meet your dietary needs, whatever they may be.

Some people harbor discrimination against overweight people, viewing them as lazy, with no will-power, etc. etc. She sounds like one of these people and therefore you really should go over her head. Take the weight issue out of to avoid the stereotypes: you are lactose intolerant, cannot eat gluten, and have an insulin disorder which means you must limit other grains such as corn and potatoes. That's all they need to know.

If that doesn't work, we can start our own religion and I will be the high-priestess, demanding your equal rights under law concerning your religious dietary requirements!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #9  
Here we go again!

S/C/G: 319/319/150

Height: 5' 5"

[QUOTE=TxTilly;1835048] have an insulin disorder which means you must limit other grains such as corn and potatoes. QUOTE]

other FOODS such as corn and potatoes--LOL!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #10  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

The girls have given you great advice, so I will just send you a hug... that women is nasty and people like that just pi$$ me off. Take care hon I hope you mom calls them and gives her a good does of Mother Blast.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Allie, that's awful! If the school is only serving veggies with soy sauce on them, cooked, then they aren't serving the needs of many of their students. That's a lot of sodium for many people, and cooking the vegetables makes them lose nutrients. Our cafeteria at the private college where I did my masters (they require students to be on the meal plan, too) had a pretty decent salad bar with several kinds of cut up vegetables, like broccoli and cauliflower. Does yours have anything like that? If so, as long as you can be sure they are gluten-free, you should be able to microwave them yourself and then use some kind of gluten-free dressing/sauce of your own (at the least, what about olive oil?).

The nutritionist sounds to me like some of the people I've dealt with--they're big bullies, wanting you to do what would make their life easier. But if you stand up to them and make it more annoying to have to deal with you than to just give in and do what YOU want, they usually fold pretty quickly and give in. It might be worth your time to go back to her (if you can stand it) and be very firm about the fact that you are working very hard on finding your dietary problems with your doctor and he/she says that he/she doesn't want you changing your diet right now other than to go gluten free. Make it clear that a professional is backing you on this and that you need her to find a way that you can get some veggies set aside before they are cooked in soy sauce. That shouldn't be a hardship for the kitchen. You might have to find your own gluten-free sauce/dressing if you can't get it at school, but that's a darn sight cheaper than buying all your own veggies. And who knows...you might help your school make more nutritious foods available! Good luck...keep us posted!
Old 09-04-2007, 04:45 AM   #12  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

The health center and the nutritionist's center are two separate things and the nutritionist is sort of the by all, end of in her department. Small university and most food issues fall under the chaplaincies here (Jewish founded university so 50% Jewish population and probably a good 5% Muslim), which I feel pulls away from the nutritionist department there. There's not really anyone over her head. Luckily the station I get my lunch at has the sweetest guy working there so he's been a big help and he's been checking in the morning to see where the gluten free stuff is (normally you get an entree and 2 sides at any station, but you can "shop around" for the sides as well, it just takes longer) so even though a few days I've just had a hunk of salmon with double sides of steamed broccoli for two meals, it's not all that bad. On weekends that all closes down though and it's literally a carb fest- there's nothing that's not fried, battered, or as a sandwich, much less gluten free.

I'm debating whether to go back to her or just deal with it myself. They DO have the ingredients in a binder every day in the cafeteria, but in the lunchtime rush, it's really difficult to look through EVERY food item and doublecheck, plus the issue with cross contamination.

I just get so frustrated by RUDE people. I mentioned that I had the kosher chicken salad (just to identify where the chicken came from), and she immediately went on a tirade about how chicken itself can't be Kosher. Obviously the salad was packaged as such because there was no dairy in the dressing. Not a huge deal but little things like that tip me off. Half of the cafeterias at my school are kosher/halal (Jewish founded university) which was great for the dairy issue, but now is no help.

I think what I'll just have to do is demand printouts of the menus with the ingredients and nutritional facts (which is just nice anyway). She told me it would be "too much work" to put them online weekly- despite the fact that almost everyone on campus would benefit from that and be more aware of what we are eating.

PS- I didn't actually phrase my diet as South Beach but explained it as low glycemic for both weight loss and blood sugar control and explained how previous to following this WOE my blood sugar was high and I was told I would be considered pre-diabetic in the near future. Since starting a low glycemic diet, my blood sugar has been completely stabilized. Apparently since it's stabilized that means I don't have to watch it in her eyes. She also didn't seem to get the difference between lactose intolerant and dairy allergy. I CANNOT have anything with any dairy or even protein or dirivitive of dairy in it. She kept telling me to "just take a lactaid" and that I can eat cheese. That's lactose intolerant- BIG difference. It's an easy mistake if you're just any person on the street but if you're a nutritionist, there's a huge difference there.

I understand she could be having a bad day- it happens. However, I shouldn't have to go through the constant discomfort of being covered in a burning rash because someone is having a bad day. True, my throat might not close up so I'm lucky that it's not that severe in that respect, but this should be easily prevented. Sorry for going on a crazy ***** rant, but it's the first week of school so I've been constantly around pizza parties, ice cream socials, bbq mixers, etc where I can literally eat absolutely nothing besides a few pieces of dry broccoli :P Thank God I don't drink or this would REALLY be miserable :P Beer has gluten in it too.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:06 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good luck, Allie! That's such a disgrace that you have to be dealing with this issue at all. I hope it all works out well for you.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

If it were me, and she isn't helping you at all, go over her head. If there is no one over her, there's always the school president.

It doesn't sound like the kosher things are really 100% kosher either - so I don't think the Jewish community there would be too happy either. Things at your school need to change - and they aren't going to unless someone stands up to a worthless nutritionist.

Maybe you can get some of your friends together, and storm her office!

Good luck!!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Allie, I'm so sorry all that is going on! What a terrific mess! I don't get her "chicken itself can't be kosher" thing...I might be nuts, but I believe there's a specific way to slaughter, butcher, and prepare chicken that *is* kosher...and isn't kosher meat blessed as well? My grandparents are orthodox Jewish and we always had to go to a kosher butcher to get all their meat, from chicken to beef.

Your suggestion that the nut'n info be put online is a GREAT one! You're totally right that it would be beneficial for everyone, especially since half your school has automatic dietary concerns. Knowing what's on the menu (and what's in it) would help Jews figure out if they're having a meat or dairy day, I would think. I'd hate to choose a dairy day and then have nothing palatable to eat. You know?

Do you have a school newspaper? Without mentioning the nutritionist specifically, why not write an editorial about your issues with the food service? Several students did this when I was in college and they were disgusted with the lack of healthy choices. It caused such an outcry that we actually changed food providers! The cafeteria now (10 years later) is nearly unrecognizeable from when I was a student...those changes are still happening and the food is incredible and really, really healthy. I bet you aren't the only one who's frustrated on the weekend!

Can you get extra servings of food and store them away in a little fridge in your room for the weekend? I know it's not ideal, but at least it would be an option.

I know it must be so hard to be unable to eat anything at all those parties. Food is such a social thing and it's so hard when you can't participate. Plus, it's annoying to stick out that way and have to explain all the time. Could you maybe buy some gluten-free/dairy-free snacks to bring with you next time? I know they're expensive, but you wouldn't be eating them all the time. At least you'd have something to nibble on.

Huge for you, hon! Keep us posted on your battle with the evil nutritionist. Let us know if you want a flock of us to descend on her and leave her tarred and feathered.
Closed Thread