Make-ahead meals & freezer friendly dishes

• Hello everyone,

I am mostly a lurker around here, haven't even updated my ticker....

Anyway, I have noticed a lot of the most successful people on the plan are ones that make ahead their meals, and even freeze some.

Could you tell me which meals work well to freeze or make ahead? I already make a big salad and grill a bunch of chicken up on the weekends, but what else will last all week for me?

TIA!!

Melissa
  • I make a big or double batch of some things and freeze for an additional meal or for lunches. Things that work well are Broccoli Cheese Soup (phase 2), chili, taco bake, any kind of soup and lots of other stuff. Oh, I made two meatloafs last time and froze one in slices. It was real easy to thaw and reheat.
  • I do it all the time for my freezer "stash". I live by myself and cooking for just one is a drag.

I make and freeze single portions of the following: chili, Salsa Chicken, soups, meatloaves, stewed meats (I add veggies later), grain pilaffs, brown rice, fruit slices.....I could go on and on.
  • I've been cooking for the week on the weekends for about a month and it is the best! I've frozen enchiladas, lasagna, beef stir fry, and various marinated chicken breasts with a sides of veggies. Like Ruth, I also make big batches of brown rice and pasta to freeze. It helps out a lot with portion control!

I would say as long as it's not cream based or will be ruined by over-cooking (like having to reheat shrimp) it should hold up well in the freezer. HTH
  • Sometimes I buy a big bag of frozen chicken breasts. Then I use the dump chicken recipes to freeze two chicken breasts in each "flavor." I think these recipes are in the phase I entrees. We love the lime and pepper chicken! I just pull out a bag the night before we want to have it, it defrosts in the marinade and is super tasty! You can grill, sautee, or bake the chicken.
  • Here's a website for slow cooker recipes. They are not all SB friendly so check the ingredients against the food lists!