South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #1  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

Default Favor to ask, if anyone has time!

Hi! I'm on Day 5, Week 4 of SBD. I didn't see a loss last week, and I was hoping that someone might be able to review my foods for this week just to see if I'm on the right track or not. I've been keeping track since Monday, and today's foods reflect my intake up until (not including) dinner time.

Any suggestions on what I should/could be doing better?

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJourn...wner=mathewssd

TIA!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just at first glance, I'd say you need to cut some of the fat. Your percentage of calories from fat is too high.

How is the fiber? My fitday shows fiber and I aim for 25-35 grams per day. You should be eating 4.5 cups of GOOD veggies per day. Lettuce is not a really good veggie. Check out the FAQ sticky for ideas.

How are you doing on water?

Fitday is all whacky as far as calculating calorie burn. You may have to cut your calories a bit. Cutting back on fat will do that.

Let's see what the other chickies have to say.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #3  
...to everything

Hmmm, my personal FitDay shows fiber, just not the public one. I guess it's lacking. The last 2 days, it was below 15 grams. There were also two days when it was 23 and 26 grams.

I've noticed a lot of my fat seems to be coming from eggs, mayonnaise, and salad dressing. So... I've started eating primarily egg whites, and I'm TRYING to cut back on the mayo and salad dressing. It's hard, tho, cuz I really don't like oil & vinegar or anything like that on my salads; I like the creamy stuff, it's almost the only way I'll eat salad. I guess I could look for some lower-fat ones, though. I've just found that lower-fat usually = higher sugar, KWIM?

So even romaine lettuce doesn't count as a good veggie? I thought because of the darker color, it had lots of vitamins in it. Hm. I never eat iceberg lettuce. What about cabbage? Is that nutrient dense, or a waste of time?

Water I'm good. I drink at least 8 cups a day, usually closer to 12.

Dang, I thought I was doing well on calories. How are they wacky? Is there a better site so I can have a good idea of what I'm actually burning each day?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #4  

Don't get discouraged Shelby! You're weight tracker in fitday shows a steady safe loss. You could try
http://www.caloriesperhour.com
This site has a few different calculators.

One thing I noticed too is while not represented on the public fitday, check your Sodium intake. Daily allowances is around 2400mg.
But you are eating healthy!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #5  
...to everything

YIKES!!! I just checked my nutrition information... Ummm... there's one day where my sodium intake was 4700 mg. That was Thursday. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's almost DOUBLE!!! I hate to think about what it was like when I was eating prepackaged and take out food... I guess I'll have to watch out for that more! I notice that the fat-free ham and also the turkey bacon I'm eating have a lot of sodium, which is unfortunate, because those are two of my favorite things.

This feels so confusing! Didn't Dr. A say this was supposed to be simple?!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #6  

well, it is easy that there is no "counting" no Zoning, and no fancy foods to buy... but I don't think weightloss, and learning about all the dietary thisnthat is easy at all! Its like learning body science.. (fer which I am failing ) You can still enjoy your turkey bacon, or ham..but you may have to trade off the V8. And enjoy a V8 one day with no turkeybacon or reduce the serving size to compensate for the sodium levels.. Just becoming aware of the daily recommended allowances, and knowing where you are with it will definitely help you !
Old 02-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

And there is reduced salt V8 - even in Canada!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #8  
...to everything

I went out and bought reduced sodium V8, but I have to go through the rest of the regular stuff, first. We're broke and I can't afford to waste half a case of V8. Maybe I could alternate them, or drink the regular stuff on days when I'm not having turkey bacon.

I noticed that the sodium in the ham I'm eating for chef salads and ham rollups is pretty high, which is really too bad because I *heart* that stuff! It's so tasty! And I can get it for a decent price. I suppose I could look for lower sodium stuff, though.

I saw a measly 1# loss this week, I'm a little choked again. I guess it's time to refocus and try harder!!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Shelby, :shh: I'm a salt freak, myself, and even though it's definitely better to cut down on sodium, I'd say that you are okay as long as you are trying to get it down. Make sure you drink TONS of water, though, so you don't bloat and see rising numbers on the scale (or have clothes that don't fit) and freak out. Okay? If you have high blood pressure and/or your doctor has told you to watch your sodium, ignore what I just said, of course.

I'm like you with salad dressings, hon! You can reduce the mayo a bit by adding fat free things like salsa or mustard to it. You can also help by eating less things that need salad dressing or mayo! How about eating less salads? Try having leftover dinner for lunch...like having some taco bake or whatever. That'll help with the salt and fat.

Here's a link to the Best Veggies to Eat sticky in the FAQ. Try eating less salads for your veggies and do other things that are less fatty, instead. I find frozen veggie mixes combined with salsa are great!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #10  
...to everything

Great tips, Laurie, thank you!!

My blood pressure is great; always has been, but my mom has a history of high blood pressure, should I be worried?

I DO eat a lot of salad, and truthfully, I don't even like it that much! I'm going to start looking for better ways to eat veggies, especially since the lettuce here is GARBAGE right now.

I also REALLY like the idea of adding mustard to my mayo. I'm having a love affair with dijon mustard right now. Cool idea!

Thanks for re-motivating me!
Closed Thread