3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   South Beach Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet-110/)
-   -   What are your favorite SBD appetizers? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/103095-what-your-favorite-sbd-appetizers.html)

smilintwins 01-25-2007 11:40 PM

What are your favorite SBD appetizers?

Our forum is a wealth of info, but a good recommendation always helps you know what to try. I am hosting a get together tomorrow evening and we opted against a meal in favor of a night of snacking foods.

I want to have SBD options for myself that my family will not realize are SBD options. I will have some prep time tomorrow afternoon. What would you recommend?

:?:

Ruthxxx 01-26-2007 07:55 AM

My favourite - and always a hit with guests - is the Taco Bake. I serve it with corn chips and also with veggies for scooping. Of course, shrimp with seafood sauce is always a hit too. Another hit is devilled eggs.
I'm sure the rest of the Beachies will have more suggestions.
A friend and I are catering a wedding reception March 3 :yikes: so I'll be checking back here for ideas!

weezle 01-26-2007 10:12 AM

Savory Cheese Bites

1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese (lf)
1/3 c. sliced almonds, finely chopped
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning Mix
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 package lf cream cheese, well chilled
1 jar low sugar spaghetti sauce, warmed

1) Preheat oven to 375. Combine Parmesan cheese, almonds, and seasoning mix. Mix well.

2) In small bowl, combine egg and garlic. Whisk. Slice cream cheese in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 12 slices, for a total of 24 slices. Dip cheese slices in egg mixture, then coat in Parmesan cheese mixture. Arrange evenly on a baking stone. Bake 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve immediately with sauce.

Helpful Hint: To easily slice cream cheese, dip knife in hot water and wipe dry between cuts.

Veggie Lover's Pizza Dip

1/4 c. chopped broccoli
1 container light garden vegetable cream cheese spread
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/4 c. grated fresh lf Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 c. shredded lf mozzarella cheese, divided
1 c. spaghetti sauce
Italian Seasoning Mix (optional)
Assorted vegetable dippers such as broccoli florets, celery sticks, red and green bell pepper strips, yellow squash or zucchini slices.

1)Preheat oven to 350. Chop broccoli. Combine cream cheese, broccoli, and garlic. Spread over bottom of a small baker/casserole dish.

2)Sprinkle half of the cheeses over cream cheese mixture. Top with sauce, spreading evenly. Bake 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses and seasoning mix, if desired. Serve with assorted vegetable dippers.

Peppered Pecans

3 T. Smart Balance/other margarine
3 cloves garlic, minced
2.5 t. Tabasco sauce
1/2 t. salt
3 C. pecan halves

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In small skillet, melt margarine. Add garlic, Tabasco sauce, and salt. Cook 1 minute. Toss pecans with butter mixture. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 1 hour or until pecans are crisp. Stir occasionally.

Serving size: 1/8 C. Calories: 105, Fat: 11g, Fiber: 1.5g.

Olive Cheese Ball

8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup green olives, chopped
1/4 cup black olives, chopped
1 Tablespoon minced onion
1 Tablespoon Tabasco sauce
3/4 cup parsley, chopped

Directions:
In a medium mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese with both types of
olives, minced onion, and Tabasco; mix thoroughly. Set cheese mixture in
refrigerator for about 15 minutes to harden slightly for easier handling.
Shape cheese mixture into a ball. Roll in chopped parsley to coat well.
Return to refrigerator; chill 15 to 20 minutes or until ready to serve. Serve with fresh veggies.

Nutrition Information:
80 Cal., 6 g fat, 1 g fiber

Ruthxxx 01-26-2007 05:05 PM

Wow! Those are great!

cottagebythesea 01-26-2007 06:25 PM

Mmmmmmm! Thanks, Weezle for posting these wonderful recipes! The Vegetable Lover's Pizza Dip is one I will definitely try!

weezle 01-26-2007 09:42 PM

I've tried all of them and they're all yummy. I really like the Savory Cheese Bites because they taste like something you'd order at a restaurant, but they don't make a whole lot if it's a big party. The Veggie Lover's dip is good, the pecans are good especially if there are going to be a lot of people, and the Olive Cheese Ball is my favorite thing to take for Superbowl or any other potluck I have to go to. Even my friends who don't like olives love that.

I'm salivating now. Only just over a week until Superbowl!!! :D Hope you all enjoy.

Marianna 01-27-2007 02:55 AM

Wow.. they sound yummo :)

Kiko 01-27-2007 09:20 AM

Yum! Thanks Weezle for posting these. :) We need to get these on over to the recipe forum so we have them handy.

Ruthxxx 01-27-2007 09:28 AM

I'll split them off later and move them, Kiko. Some of them may already be there.