Super easy & Low calorie Egg Drop/Egg Flower Soup
I got it in my head a few days ago that I wanted to make a low calorie egg drop soup, so I bought some egg substitute in anticipation of coming up with something great. :)
I made it this morning, and it turned out wonderful - so I thought I'd share!
This makes 2 huge soup bowls full.
- 1 box/carton of pre-made chicken broth(20 calories)
- a couple tbsp of chopped chives or green onions, to taste (approx 10 cals)
- a few generous grinds of cracked black pepper
- OPTIONAL - a few grinds of sea salt, to taste
- 1 ear of FRESH yellow corn, cut off the ear(approx 100 cals. weigh it!)
- 1 tbsp of egg substitute ( 30 cals). If you desire a thicker soup, use 1 more tbsp, for an additional 30 cals.
- a generous spray of sesame oil, with a Mister(approx 20 cals, maybe less)
Put all ingredients except for egg substitute into a pot, until boiling.
When it begins boiling, add your egg substitute, and continue to stir until thickened/cooked.
Serve and enjoy!
The entire pot is 180 calories! Only 210 calories if you make the thicker version!
Hope you guys like it as much as I do. I'll definitely be making this again.
This takes about 5 minutes TOTAL to make, btw. Can't beat that!
I made a package of 'Thai Kitchen Rice Noodle Soup' looks like Top Ramen but only 170 calories, and I added 1 egg, 70 cals (didn't have egg whites) and mixed it up and done. It was pretty good, reminded me of chinese soup :) So fast and only 240 cals, you might like that too. :)
I love the thai kitchen noodles! My favourite is the thai lemongrass flavour.
I've added vegetables to it before, but hadn't thought about adding egg. I'll have to try it now. Thanks!
I actually have regular rice noodles as well. You can make an even lower calorie version of the Thai Kitchen brand, if you use a mister for the sesame oil(or skip it), and spice it yourself.
I do love how low the calories are for the Thai Kitchen brand, though. Great for quick and easy :)
Mmm yeah I like all the flavors I've tried so far :) I never use the oil packet. I added the egg with a good amount of water in the soup while cooking, and it made the water almost creamy base, it was great :)
This sounds great! I make an egg white drop soup that is a little simpler than this recipe. I should try this version, too!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 PM.|