3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds > Recipes > Soups and Stews

Taiwanese Dry Noodle

Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #1

S/C/G: 148/143/115

Height: 5'3"

Default Taiwanese Dry Noodle

I ate a lot of "dry noodle" in Taiwan and just loved it, so I tried to make my own. It's not quite the real thing, but delicious! This is one of those "I threw ingredients together" type recipes, so amounts are pretty general and you'll probably need to tweak it to taste.

This recipe is for 1 individual, and is big enough to be the entire meal.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup water (for the broth, not for cooking the noodles)
1/2 cup chicken broth (veggie broth works well for vegetarians)
1 oz dry noodles (anything works here...chinese noodles, japanese noodles, thai rice noodles, whole grain spaghetti, whatever!)
1/2 tablespoon Hoison sauce (this is where most of the calories and salt come from, so be careful how much and what kind you use)
a splash of soy sauce (low sodium if you have it)
sprinkle of Chinese five spice powder (optional and it's strong so don't use much, 1/8 tsp is more than enough)
an oz or so of ground pork (optional)
all the veggies you want to pack in! I like to cut up some bok choy and I use a frozen mix of diced celery, carrots, green peppers, and onions. Green onion is good to chop up in it too. I've also used mustard greens before.
I usually end up with 1 cup of frozen veggies plus 2 stalks of chopped bok choy.

Procedure:
Start heating water for the noodles while you get the ingredients out. If you're using pork (I only do on occasion) you could probably brown it during this time. Cook noodles according to package instructions. While the water is coming to a boil/the noodles are cooking, mix together the water, broth, soy sauce, hoison sauce, and Chinese 5 spice powder with a whisk. Start warming this mixed broth in a saucepan. If using frozen vegetables you might want to start them heating while you chop up bok choy (I highly recommend using this cabbage, it really gives it a good Taiwanese flavor). Just add the vegetables and browned pork to heat once they are ready, and then add the noodles and heat once they are done cooking. Continue to heat until it is warm enough for your taste and the veggies are tender enough.

It usually takes me about 15-20 minutes total to cook one serving for myself.

Best enjoyed with chopsticks and a spoon to help!

My Binge Free November! 30 days without binging: 3/30
mandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.