Curried Red Lentil Soup

• This was a very yummy soup... I made a few changes to make it more SBD friendly

Quote:
    Curried Red Lentil Soup

Serves 6

• 2 tsp Whole Foods Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    • 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 11/2 tsp cumin
    • 3/4 tsp turmeric
    • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp black pepper
    • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (I used chilli flakes)
    • 1 cup carrot juice (I used a 1/4 cup of tomato paste)
    • 1/2 pound unpeeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2" chunks
    • 1 cup red lentils (about 7 ounces), rinsed and picked over
    • 2 medium carrots, sliced
    • 1 bay leaf
    Prep Time: 50 minutes
    1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in cumin, turmeric, coriander, salt, black pepper and cayenne, and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
    2. Add carrot juice, potatoes, lentils, carrots, bay leaf and 31/4 cups water (I used vegie stock that is salt and fat reduced); cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.
    Nutrition Info

Per Serving: 181 calories, 1.9g total fat, 0.3g saturated fat, 1.2g monounsaturated fat, 0.2g polyunsaturated fat, 7g dietary fiber, 9g protein, 34g carbohydrate, 0mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium
    Good source of: iron, fiber, beta-carotene
    I also put in loads more vegies like cauliflower florets, red capsicum and zucchini and I cooked it for a bit longer to make it a bit thicker... I also added the juice from one lemon at the end to give it some zing!
  • VERY good recipe. This tastes great with some fresh cilantro mixed in before serving and a bit of light coconut milk if you are "allowed"