Shrimp (or Tofu) and Butternut Squash in Coconut Broth
I love everything about this soup recipe I found on cooksdotcom. It’s fairly quick and easy, very pretty, tastes great, and the aroma in the house while it’s cooking is fantastic.
• 3/4 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons tomato paste
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
• 2 cups butternut squash, 3/4-inch cubes
• 1 cup red bell pepper, julienned
• 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined and halved lengthwise (or tofu)
• 1/4 cup lime juice
• 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
1. Combine chicken broth, salt, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, black pepper and coconut milk in a large saucepan and stir with a whisk.
2. Stir in squash and bell peppers.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until squash is tender.
5. Stir in shrimp.
6. Bring to a boil and cook for about 1-2 minutes or until shrimp are done; stirring occasionally.
7. Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Heat for 2 minutes.
The original recipe also called for 2 cups cooked basmati rice stirred in at the end, which I skipped to keep it Phase I, but could be served over brown rice for Phase II.
Life's a journey, not a destination.
It's easier to stay on plan than to get back on plan.
Last edited by Schmoodle; 11-07-2010 at 09:38 PM.