Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Lentil Soup with Balsamic-Roasted Winter Vegetables

Made this last week and nearly died from the joy of eating it!!! It was SOOOOOOOOOO good and used up so many healthy ingredients from our garden and the CSA pickup. Definitely a must-make! Suggestions to make it more SBD-safe are included in red brackts, but I think it's really okay as is for a once in a while treat as long as you watch your saturated fat intake for the rest of the day.

I also added a couple of suggestions based on my experiences making it.

Enjoy!!!

Quote:
Lentil Soup with Balsamic-Roasted Winter Vegetables
From: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1141995

The flavor of this dish improves on the second day, so it's ideal to make in advance. Add the chard just before serving to preserve its color. Stir in a little water when you reheat the soup if it's too thick.

1 2/3 cups cubed peeled sweet potato, (about 8 ounces)
1 2/3 cups cubed peeled parsnip (about 8 ounces)
1 2/3 cups cubed peeled carrot (about 8 ounces)
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (4 ounces) chopped pancetta [To be strictly SBD, try substituting 4oz of turkey bacon, then add a little olive oil when you saute the veggies]
1 cup chopped shallots (about 6 large)
1 cup chopped red onion (about 1 medium)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 1/4 cups dried lentils
6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided [I used at least 8 cups of water in addition to this, and probably could have added more!]
8 cups Swiss chard, trimmed and chopped (about 9 ounces)

Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, 2 tablespoons vinegar, oil, and salt in a large bowl; toss well. Arrange vegetable mixture in a single layer on a large foil-lined jelly-roll pan; bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Set aside.

Cook pancetta in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add shallots and onion to drippings in pan; cook 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, thyme, garlic, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Add wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add pancetta, lentils, and 4 cups broth to pan. [I added at least 4 more cups of water at this point] Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add remaining 2 cups broth [I added another 4+ cups of water here--this was like extra thick stew otherwise, and I really was aiming for "soup"] and roasted vegetables to pan, and simmer 15 minutes, uncovered. Add chard, and cook 2 minutes or until wilted.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)

CALORIES 373 (28% from fat); FAT 11.7g (sat 3.5g,mono 6.4g,poly 1.6g); IRON 6.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 14mg; CALCIUM 118mg; CARBOHYDRATE 51g; SODIUM 875mg; PROTEIN 18.8g; FIBER 15.3g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2006
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote