Bean Soup with Ground Turkey

• Okay, I really wanted some soup, and I saw two recipes here that sounded good, but not quite what I wanted, so I combined and adapted. The result is:

Bean's Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 lb lean ground turkey
    ¼ tsp granulated garlic
    1 tbsp Italian herbs
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    1 quart chicken broth (I used low-sodium organic chicken broth)
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp of dried thyme leaves
    ¼ tsp of black pepper
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    2 (16 oz) cans Navy or Great Northern beans, well rinsed and drained
    1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
    shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish

Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground turkey, garlic, and Italian herbs and cook, breaking turkey up into small pieces, until turkey is just done. Add onion and cook until tender. Add broth, bay leaves, thyme, black pepper, and cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans, reduce heat to a very low simmer, and cook for 5 minutes longer, covered. Add tomatoes and simmer, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes or until heated through. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Remove bay leaves and serve with Parmesan sprinkled on top.

Serves 4-6

Thanks, beachgal and jennie527, for the inspiration! This came out really good and quite filling. We had some steamed broccoli on the side with it, and we were stuffed after one bowl. DH and I don't use much salt, so you might need to add some if you are used to saltier food.