1-1/2 to 2 tbsp. fresh, peeled gingerroot, diced or grated
1-1/2 to 2 carrots, peeled and diced [OMIT for Phase 1]
1-5/6 cups water
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Fine sea salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Balsamic vinegar, to taste

Directions:
Put the lentils into a colander, rinse thoroughly under cool running water and set aside.*

In a 6 to 8-quart or larger heavy pot, warm the 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic and ginger, and sauté until transparent. Add 2/3 cup of the water and the diced carrots, and simmer a minute. Stir in the rinsed lentils. Add the stock and remaining 3 cups of water.**

Partly cover and simmer over a low flame, stirring often, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the lentils are cooked and the soup has the consistency of porridge.

Remove from heat, and let cool briefly. Stir in salt, pepper and dashes of balsamic vinegar to taste.

*I don't do this because they harden in a glob; I wait until I am ready to add them.

**I often reduce it by 1 cup

`````````````````````````````````````
Greek Brown Lentil Soup
Servings: 4 servings

1 lb. brown lentils
1-1/2 cloves garlic
1-1/2 bay leaves
1/4 cup minced parsley
1/4 cup diced celery
1 onions, sliced
1/16 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cups water
1 cup V-8 juice
1 bullion cube
1/2 tsp. flour [OMIT for Phase 1]
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
1 tbsp. tomato paste

Presoak lentils for 2 hours; drain, cover with cold water and bring to a boil; drain again. Thinly slice garlic cloves and place in a large soup pot with lentils, bay leaves, parsley, celery, onions, salt, pepper, water, V-8 and OXO cubes. Bring to a boil, lower heat, simmer for 1 hour. Mix flour and vinegar with tomato paste. Stir into soup; cook for 15 minutes longer.
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote