MAKES 7 cups ACTIVE TIME: 30 min TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
1 cup Goya Red Lentils (International Foods)
4 cups water
2 Tbsp margarine
1/2 cup onion, peeled, 1/4-inch dice
1/2 diced bell pepper (whatever color you like)
1/4 cup (about 1 stalk) celery, trimmed, 1/4-inch dice
2 Tbsp garlic, chopped
1 medium (about 1/2 lb) tomato, cored, 1/2-inch dice (1 cup)
2 cups Vegetable Stock
1 Tbsp hot sauce
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Wegmans Sea Salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp chili powder
(recipe called for cornstarch but there is no need to thicken this!)
You'll Need: Food processor or blender
1. Bring lentils and 2 cups water to boil on HIGH; turn off heat. Remove half the lentils and liquid; place in food processor or blender and puree, about 1 min. (I used a stick blender and added it to the cup it comes with -- I needed to add a bit more tap water to thin out a bit). This will get very chunky as it sits, no worries though!
2. Melt margarine in stockpot on MEDIUM-LOW. Add onions; cook, stirring, about 2 min, until soft but not browned. Add celery, pepper and garlic; cook, stirring, 5 min, until soft but not browned. Add tomato; cook 5 min.
3. Add stock, 2 cups water, Tabasco, turmeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, sea salt, black pepper, and chili powder. Bring to simmer.
4. Add reserved whole and pureed lentils plus liquid. Cook about 15 min, until lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt.
* Not only does this soup freeze well, it is also a perfect sauce for tilapia.
Fruits and Vegetables: 3/4 cup(s)
Nutrition Info: Each serving (1 cup) contains 140 calories, 22 g carbohydrate, (5 g fiber), 7 g protein, 4 g fat, (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, and 410 mg sodium.