Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #1  

Default Wave 1 - Balsamic chicken over spinach with veggies and a shallot dressing

This originally was a Rachael Ray recipe, which I altered.

For 4 servings:

1 pounds chicken breast cutlets (sometimes marked "thin cut") - I used regular breasts that I pounded flat
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, enough to just coat the breast slices
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, just eyeball it
Grill seasoning blend, or coarse salt and pepper
4 stems fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and finely chopped, about 2 tablespoons - I used dry

Spinach Salad:
1 pound center cut bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces - I used one slice turkey bacon per serving
1 pound fresh spinach leaves, trimmed and cleaned
8 gourmet white stuffing mushrooms, thinly sliced - I used 8 ounces
8 radishes, thinly sliced
4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle

Dressing:
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball the amount, plus 1 tablespoons - I used a couple of Tablespoons total, augmenting the rest with chicken stock.
1 large shallot, minced
3 rounded spoonfuls Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Coat chicken with balsamic, oil, seasoning and rosemary and set aside. I marinated this overnight and am glad I did In a skillet, add chopped bacon, work in 2 batches if preparing salad for 4. Brown bacon over medium high heat, then transfer the bits to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Using center cut bacon will cut down on the pan drippings that spatter.
Coarsely chop spinach leaves and add to salad bowl. Top with mushroomsI cooked my mushrooms in a bit of stock first because I don't care much for raw mushrooms, radishes, scallions. Season salad with salt and pepper.

Wipe out the bacon pan and return to stove turning heat back to medium low. Add 1 tablespoon oil I sauted with chicken stock instead of oil for your dressing and shallots and reduce heat to medium. Saute shallots for 3 minutes. Remove oil and shallots from heat.

In a bowl, combine mustard and balsamic vinegar. Stream in 2/3 cup oil I added in 2T of olive oil and the rest was chicken stock slowly while whisking the dressing to emulsify it. Add warm shallots and toss with spinach salad to coat evenly. Add cooked bacon and toss again.

Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken cutlets, 4 minutes on each side, in a single layer. Slice breasts on an angle on your cutting board once they are all out of the pan. Pile spinach salad on to dinner plate/plates.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #2  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

oh too funny I have her 30 minute meals set to Tivo and I have been altering them to fit South Beach and now i move on to alter them a bit further to fit Sonoma, lol Love quick and easy!!
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote