Wave 1 - Southwestern Chicken & Barley Soup

• This is a wonderful soup anytime, but I especially appreciate it when I'm sick. It's so healthy and tasty, and it warms you from the inside out.

Southwestern Chicken & Barley Soup

6 servings

1 medium yellow onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 green pepper, diced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    7 cups water
    2 low-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
    3 chicken breast halves, skin removed
    1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
    1 cup whole-kernel corn <omit corn Wave 1>
    1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 dried ancho or chipotle chilies (I like chipotle)
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup barley
    2 green zucchini, cubed or sliced
    2 yellow squash, cubed or sliced
    Lime wedges

Saute onion, garlic, celery and green pepper in olive oil in soup pot.

Once onions are soft (about 5 minutes) add water, bouilion, tomatoes, black beans and chicken to pot and bring to a low simmer.

Add whole dried chilis to pot for a minute, just to get the dried chili to soften a bit.

Remove from pot. Tear off stalk and remove seeds. Dice chilis into small pieces and return to simmering pot.

Let soup simmer 20 minutes and remove chicken from pot. Shred or dice chicken and return to pot.

Add barley and let soup simmer for 25 minutes.

Add zucchini, squash, and corn and let simmer an additional 25 minutes.

Top each bowl with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and enjoy!

Jeri
  • corn
    Is corn on wave 1?

Pat
  • It's not, but the soup would be fine without it. Or just use your judgment.....this makes a pretty big pot of soup, and there's only 1 cup of corn in the whole thing, which comes out to between 1/6 and 1/8 cup per serving. I would feel comfortable with that during Wave 1 personally, but I'm one of those who modifies. I know that some prefer to follow the diet exactly, though, so feel free to leave the corn out altogether if you like.

Jeri