Wave 2 - Beef Stew
This makes a huge pot of stew, but it freezes and reheats very well.
* 4 pounds of beef chuck or other lean cut, cut into 2” pieces
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 medium onions, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced (I use more)
* 6 oz tomato paste (I wasn’t sure about this, but a Wave 2 recipe in the book calls for tomato paste so I guess it’s OK)
* 27 oz beef or vegetable broth
* 2 cups red wine
* 2 bay leaves
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1-1/2 teaspoon thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 12 ounces cut carrots (I use more)
* 10 ounces peas (I use more)
Preheat oven to 325.
In a large oven-proof pot, heat the oil. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and brown on all sides. Remove as they brown and add the rest. (Optional: the recipe says to dredge the beef in flour first, but I skip that step).
To the remaining oil, add the onion and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in tomato paste and cook 3-5 minutes. Return beef and add all ingredients except carrots and peas. Heat to boiling.
Cook in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Add the carrots and cook an additional 15 minutes. Add the peas and heat through.
I have prepared the stew in the morning and cooked in the slow cooker all day and it turns out well. The carrots and peas need more time than that indicated above.
Living primal and focusing on my health, not a number. Although I wouldn't complain about a smaller number!