Wave 2 - Chicken breasts with acorn squash
Chicken breasts with acorn squash
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/2 cup finely diced acorn squash - I used more
* 1 green bell pepper, diced
* 1 small onion, finely diced
* 1 stalk celery, chopped
* salt and pepper to taste
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
* 2 ounces shredded low fat Cheddar cheese - I left this out
*whole wheat flour , for dredging
I added a bit of poultry seasoning to the squash mixture
* you can also just put the squash filling in a pan and top this with the browned breasts instead of rolling them up - tastes the same and is easier*
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a medium skillet, heat oil. Add the squash, green bell pepper, onion and celery. Saute until slightly tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, add cheese and mix together.
Pound each chicken breast til it's flattened. spread the squash mixture on each breast, roll up and secure with toothpicks. Dredge each breast in flour to coat completely, and brown coated chicken in skillet.
Place browned chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish, cover and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.