Wave 2 - Mexican Stew
* 1 (3/4 pound) onion
* 4 cloves garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon salad oil
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 7 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
* 3 cups diced (1/2 in.) zucchini
* 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
* 1 tablespoon minced pickled jalapeno chilies (jalapenos en escabeche) or fresh jalapeno chilies
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned chicken breasts
* Salt and pepper
* 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar or jack cheese - I went light on this and used tofu cheese
*I served this over brown rice. Would also be good over whole wheat couscous or bulgur wheat.*
Peel onion and cut lengthwise into thin slivers. Peel and chop garlic. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir onion, garlic, and oil until onion is limp, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon; stir until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add broth, tomatoes (including juice), zucchini, corn, jalapenos, and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, rinse chicken and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Add chicken to broth mixture. Return to a boil over high heat; cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is white in center (cut to test), 2 to 3 minutes.
Ladle into soup bowls. Add salt, pepper, and cheese to taste.