1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 onion +, chopped
    1 clove garlic +, minced
    1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
    3/4 cup crumbled feta (low fat or fat free) cheese
    3 tablespoons sliced black olives
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

This is another recipe where the squash really needs to be cooked a day or two in advance and left in the fridge to dry out some. Otherwise the texture of the spaghetti squash is rather mushy

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on the prepared baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance. Remove squash from oven, and set aside to cool enough to be easily handled.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook only until tomatoes are warm.

Use a large spoon to scoop the stringy pulp from the squash, and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the sauteed vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Serve warm.
  • Yummy, yummy, yummy I love spaghetti squash. I wonder if you could roast it with cut side down on a rack, as well as stab the top a few times, and allow more moisture to escape and result in a drier squash for a dish like this.
  • Quote: Yummy, yummy, yummy I love spaghetti squash. I wonder if you could roast it with cut side down on a rack, as well as stab the top a few times, and allow more moisture to escape and result in a drier squash for a dish like this.
    You need to try it and let us know!
  • I do that, Suzanne and LindaT, and it really seems to help.
    This looks like a great recipe. So many of these are great for South Beach too. Yummy - especially with a glass of wine! However, I think raw turnip would be yummy with a glass of wine!
  • great! I have a spaghetti squash laying around I NEED to cook up! Otherwise it's going to waste! I'm going to cook it tonight and fix it tomarrow for lunch...I can't wait, yummy yummy yummy!