Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #1  

Default Wave 2- Pasta Primavera

Pasta Primavera

1 (12 ounce) whole wheat pasta
1 egg plant, chopped - no need to peel
1 yellow squash, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 carrot, julienned - omit this to make Wave 1 friendly
1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 pint grape tomatoes
1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
5 spears asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/4 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Grated Romano cheese - go easy on this. Can also use paremsan

I always use lots more veggies than called for. Since I don't like asparagus or green beans I use a combo of yellow crookneck, zucchini, eggplant, grape tomatoes and carrots. Use any veggies you like - if on Wave one, check with the approved veggie list first

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. - rarely use foil and it comes out okay.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until al dente; drain.

In a bowl, toss squash, zucchini, carrot, red bell pepper, tomatoes, green beans, eggplant and asparagus with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning. Arrange vegetables on the baking sheet, and roast 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until tender. ( I sometimes roaste this longer.. roast until you like the tenderness.

Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook until tender. Mix in cooked pasta, lemon zest, basil, parsley, and balsamic vinegar. Gently toss and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with roasted vegetables and sprinkle with Romano cheese to serve.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #2  

hi...getting ready to start wave 2 in a few days and this looks great..but wonder what the serving size is for this recipe...Thanks
poohbear65 is offline   Reply With Quote