Wave 1 - Eggplant pita

• I again forgot my book at home, so as I type this I am pretty sure this is Wave 1 friendly but I'll check when I get home for sure. I brought this for lunch today. yum

Eggplant Pita

Eggplant, chopped
    diced onions
    minced garlic
    chopped mushrooms
    olive oil
    balsamic vinegar
    low fat mozarella, pepper jack - I use tofu based cheeses - grated. Invest in a good microplan cheese grater. This will make the cheese shreds smaller so you'll actually use less cheese.
    spices that tickle your fancy
    Whole Wheat Pita, or you could use whole wheat la tortillas or even whole wheat Carbdown flatout bread.
    Optional - light ranch dressing - this ingredient might only be okay in Wave 2.. need to double check.

Toss the diced eggplant with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar and whatever spices you like. Roast these on a cookie sheet with a rim at 425 for anywhere from 30-60 minutes . Depends how well done you like your eggplant and how big you chopped it up. Test it at 30 minutes and see if it is done to your liking. if not, check back every 10 minutes of so. Toss a couple of times during the roasting,

Meantime, on the stove top saute the mushrooms garlic and diced onions until tender. Dump in the roasted eggplant. Season to taste. Top with shredded cheese and ranch dressing. Devour!
  • I have heard of egg plant, but have never tried it. Do you cook it first? Peel it? Please help me!
  • You chop it up, no peeling needed and roast it as per the directions in the recipe